• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snake question

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
Corn snakes are lovely and no they can't do you any real damage, feels like a paper cut at it's worst to get bitten by a small snake. Vivariums are easy to make if you are handy, my partner has built a couple of mine as well as the rest of my pets housing (expect bird cages which he will be doing at some point). It's also cheaper to build your own :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If you go the tub way, you can always make it look amazing still. We use Pete moss dirt for my ball python. And his is a 69qt tub. Like 36" long x 20" wide and 8" tall. Looks nice. :)

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Hmmm.. Both the tub and the vivarium are pretty good... I think i will go with the vivarium or a big empty fish tank. Just to keep people from mistaking a snake tub for a bucket of stuff. And plus, the vivarium looks like a piece of furniture, sort of like a fish tank. I might change my mind by the time i actually get the snake though. Also i joined the forum you were talking about in that really long post. My username is "Snakes not here" , lol.

Last edited:

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle

I feel for tubs they keep humidity and heat up the best. And for me, visibility is of low importance when it comes to my snakes happiness. :)
As long as the accommodation is a decent size for the snake a tub or viv works. You can easily keep temps and humidity in a viv and most common species don't need high humidity. Your tub is very nicely setup Bokkapooh, the ones I hate are when the snake can't stretch at all and has nothing other than a water bowl, as if snakes do absolutely nothing all of the time. It's true they spend a lot of the time hiding or just laying motionless but I don't like it when they have no opportunity to explore (even if they only do so once a week), stretch, climb, burrow (my king loves to burrow), some people use this as an excuse to provide them with very minimal accommodation. There's a reptile shop near me that has a huge (very overweight) Burmese python that is in a viv that's half the length of the snake (the snake must be about 12ft long) and it's only about 2ft wide and the same high with just a tiny water bowl (literally nothing else would fit in there as the snake only just fits), to me that's no quality of life for that snake it can barely move :(.

Kerplunq

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ryan
My first snake was a Ball Python, the wifes is a Kenyan Sand Boa.
The Sand Boa is a VERY easy snake to take care of. Just need a good amount of substrate so it can borrow in. We feed it fuzzies (Frozen/thaw, since live feeding is mean and can hurt the snake) You can handle him quite often. We have had DigDug for about 7 years now and he's a cool little guy. They only grow about 16"
Ball Pythons are a VERY fussy bred. If you have the right setup for them, they are a very rewarding bred. Except for when you move something in their tank that they like and stop eating for a few months. /sigh Balls will offer you a lot of frustration for a first time snake. But after a few years, he loves to be handled and eats very well for us.
We have our Ball in a glass tank, but we have placed black paper around the sides and back so not a lot of moment is shown around the tank to spook him. Now Hideki (My pastel ball) is on a diet of medium rats. Which take up room in the freezer. SO as long as your cool and everyone else is cool with having a bunch of frozen rodents in the freezer, you may want to reconsider lol.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
after reading about some of your guys' ball pythons, I feel I must have gotten lucky with mine. They were always social, never went off their food, never bit, never freaked out about anything being changed or added to the cage - in fact they would come out and explore together as soon as I changed anything. They were good snakey friends:heart:

Kerplunq

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ryan
My first Ball was brutal. I changed her water dish to a larger one. It even looked the same and she went something like 4 months with out eating.
Hideki (My current ball) isn't fussy at all. He is super active and is out way more then his older sister. I have only had refused dinner's when he's about to go into shed mode. But once his eyes go milky and he starts to shed, you better have dinner ready for him. He doesn't wait till he is completed his shed lol.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
after reading about some of your guys' ball pythons, I feel I must have gotten lucky with mine. They were always social, never went off their food, never bit, never freaked out about anything being changed or added to the cage - in fact they would come out and explore together as soon as I changed anything. They were good snakey friends:heart:
I haven't had too many issues with ball pythons either. A few picky-eating young ones, but with work got them started eating regularly again. Most, even with little interaction, haven't given me too much trouble temperament wise. Every snake is different, just like every bird. One of the most aggressive snakes I've kept was one kenyan sand boa, which most people don't think about being an aggressive species. The other kenyan sand boas were fine in temperament. Sometimes it's species, sometimes the individual snake itself.

While I love boas ;), some aren't for everyone. My first snake personally was a rat snake. Corn snakes are great. All my snakes are in tubs or personally made cages from online retailers such as constrictors northwest or boaphile cages. While they're convenient for me, they may be a bit pricey for someone with just one snake and not exactly what people look for when they think reptile cages. I love that they are stackable, the heat systems available, and the materials they use.

jennarochelle

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenna
Thanks for the awesome info! Out of the options for housing the snake, i like the vivariums. They look much better than a tub, and they also seem pretty easy to build (I'm a huge DIY person).. As for snakes themselves, i like the corn snakes, as they are pretty much everything I'm looking for in a snake.
I'm not really worried about being bit, as I've been bit by a lot of things, and i doubt that a corn snake would do any major damage since they aren't poisonous. :)
Most snakes you'll run into in the hobby aren't going to be venomous, and if they are it will either be very mild or rear fanged. :)
I always find it really great when people are interested in the noodle babies for great reasons (unlike those who want a monster killer pet rarr).

I have worked with all kinds of reptiles ! From little geckos, to large monitors and tiny little hog nose boas to very large BCC boas and such ! I have been bitten & tagged by many of these guys and everything in between, it has every single time come down to error on my part. As long as you properly educate yourself, take necessary precautions, and get to know behaviors you should do very well! Giving yourself lots of time to research and decide is GREAT, and I only wish there were more people like yourself !

Corns are definitely choice for a starter, they are generally really docile, good eaters, and not too picky about anything. All snakes, but corns in particular are the biggest escape artists ever of all time ! So I would recommend you find yourself a proper and very secure terrarium, I use custom PVC terrariums myself! Depending on where you get it they are well priced, look great and are superb for insulation :) I really like ball pythons as well, they are generally a little more like a bracelet than a corn of which can be kind of like unruly spaghetti. Ball pythons can definitely be a little more work though.

As for owning birds and snakes, I have both, and I take all precautions necessary. It's not really any different than any other pet in that sense. You wouldn't let a cat/dog hang around with your bird either. :)

Good luck with your research, they're so fascinating ! Snakes, much like birds can have very long lifespans, so not that it really needs to be said in this kind of community, but I will anyway... prepare for that and make sure you can provide a great home for a long time. :D

Here's a shot (a relatively crappy one) of one of my girls !

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Most snakes you'll run into in the hobby aren't going to be venomous, and if they are it will either be very mild or rear fanged. :)
I always find it really great when people are interested in the noodle babies for great reasons (unlike those who want a monster killer pet rarr).

I have worked with all kinds of reptiles ! From little geckos, to large monitors and tiny little hog nose boas to very large BCC boas and such ! I have been bitten & tagged by many of these guys and everything in between, it has every single time come down to error on my part. As long as you properly educate yourself, take necessary precautions, and get to know behaviors you should do very well! Giving yourself lots of time to research and decide is GREAT, and I only wish there were more people like yourself !

Corns are definitely choice for a starter, they are generally really docile, good eaters, and not too picky about anything. All snakes, but corns in particular are the biggest escape artists ever of all time ! So I would recommend you find yourself a proper and very secure terrarium, I use custom PVC terrariums myself! Depending on where you get it they are well priced, look great and are superb for insulation :) I really like ball pythons as well, they are generally a little more like a bracelet than a corn of which can be kind of like unruly spaghetti. Ball pythons can definitely be a little more work though.

As for owning birds and snakes, I have both, and I take all precautions necessary. It's not really any different than any other pet in that sense. You wouldn't let a cat/dog hang around with your bird either. :)

Good luck with your research, they're so fascinating ! Snakes, much like birds can have very long lifespans, so not that it really needs to be said in this kind of community, but I will anyway... prepare for that and make sure you can provide a great home for a long time. :D

Here's a shot (a relatively crappy one) of one of my girls !

I think it's important to research any animal before you get it!
Last time i went to the pet store, i of course went to look at the snakes. I can see how easy it is to buy a baby ball python and see it end up as a massive snake, and not have enough room for it, etc.
It's pretty hard for me to go out and learn about reptiles hands-on, as there's only one person i know who has snakes, and they live an hour away from me that's why i'm on the internet learning about them, lol.
Big escape artists, huh? I have a bird who is an escape artist, and i doubt that a Corn snake is any harder to keep in the cage/tank.

Kerplunq

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ryan
Hahaha you would doubt it, but I've had some pretty dumbfounding situations where there is absolutely no fathomable escape, but it happens. :)
I Totally agree to this. My tiny little Kenyan Sand Boa, no more then an earth worm in size at the time, some how got out of his tank. Lost him for about 3 weeks. We declared he was gone forever.
Went on vacation to Niagara (Where my parents live) and got a call from the cat sitting that there was some orange and black snake in our kitchen.

Snakes are one of the best escape artist out there. Check out snake forums and see how many threads talk about this!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Hahaha you would doubt it, but I've had some pretty dumbfounding situations where there is absolutely no fathomable escape, but it happens. :)
I've had one escape in the span of a decade. When I was moving once I had a rat snake in an aquarium with clamps next to my bed for a bit. Didn't think much of it till my cat figured out how to unclamp it. Now they all have their own respective spaces and rooms.

I love all boas as well Jenna, but for some people some boas might get larger than what they want to deal with. So it's easy to understand why they're not for everyone. I've been bit by many different species, and I'd rather get bit by a corn snake than a hamster any day.

Small corn snakes are very fun though :) I always loved the albinos

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
When I was moving once I had a rat snake in an aquarium with clamps next to my bed for a bit. Didn't think much of it till my cat figured out how to unclamp it.
This proves you want to make sure the animals outside of the tank don't know how to open it, as much as you don't want the animal on the inside opening it :)

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
jennarochelle you boa is gorgeous :D. I don't have an issue with a beginner keeping a bci as long as they have handled and feel comfortable with an adult, they are not difficult to keep at all. So many corns end up in rescues because someone said they are a good beginners snake and the person got them purely for that reason when they actually wanted a different species which they could have looked after fine after doing the right research, not saying the OP is going to do this but I still think thinks it's important to choose the species that appeals to you most and you can provide the right care for

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I was a snake breeder for 25 years before illness took my business away ...There are beginner snakes ..these snakes are easier to look after ,easier to handle , care for and more forgiving if you make a mistake ..these are mainly colubrids like corn snakes ,king snakes , milk snakes and some rat snakes...some boids like Ball pythons,Childrens Pythons, Sand Boas there are also local Boas that are easier to look after don't get to big and are easy to handle .. I would always recommend to keep your snake in as big a cage as you can never in tubs ..tubs are for breeders with large amounts of animals with small amount of space ...until I was a breeder I always kept my reptiles in big cages either aquariums or wood with glass fronts ...the smallest you should every keep say an adult corn snake in is a 30 - 50 gallon tank they need the space ...I wouldn't worry about keeping birds and reptiles together because you should always have a locking lid /door on your reptiles cage they are escape arties and you don't want anything to happen to your new friend or your old one ..I have kept snakes and birds for years together and never had a problem just make sure you wash your hands from one to the other ...The big thing is to do your research and do it well just like birds everyone has an opinion ..best of luck I am always around if you need help :coffeescreen:

Last edited:

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Thanks for the info! Though one question.. Do corn snakes need high humidity, or is that just for the tropical species?

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
They don't need high humidity but you can provide a humid tub so they have the option to regulate their own humidity, this is simply a plastic tub with an entrance hole and some damp moss inside, good during shedding periods but I don't think essential for corns.