1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Smelly diarrhoea/polyuria

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by greenytijana, 10/9/18.

1. greenytijana

greenytijana Walking the driveway

Tiana
    Teri has very wet poop with a smell to it. Today I noticed it's leaning more towards diarrhoea than polyuria(though that might be from food). Other than that he's fine, and Kimi's poops look completely normal. I've got a vet appointment booked for Saturday, I would have liked to get him in sooner but thats how it turned out :(

Is there anything I can do to help him not get worse until we can see the vet? I already change water more frequently(since he drinks a lot) and put some vinegar in. I also change liner more frequently, though that's mostly to keep the stink at bay since I've put the grate back over it.

The polyuria has me thinking of liver/kidney problems, but the stink is throwing me off. Not sure what this could be. :( I just hope it's not too serious.

2. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    Sounds like Giardia maybe? Mostly because of:
    • Acute chronic or recurrent diarrhea (a bad odor and lots of mucus may occur with the diarrhea)
    Giardia in Birds | Beauty of Birds

Otherwise, it is indicative of a bacterial infection of some sort. A probiotic would be the only other thing I might try but it usually takes a few days to build up so it might be better to just wait for the vet

Hankmacaw and Tiel Feathers like this.
  3. greenytijana

Tiana
    I could see it being giardia, as they dunk food in their water a lot.

Also, it seems I was wrong about Kimi being totally fine, she just sprayed down a watery mess. It wasn't diarrhoea, but it was a lot of urine with small and slimy-looking poop fragments. No urates. Same as Teri, though he usually has a bigger feces portion of the poop. Both of them are rambunctious as always.

Should I take them both in, or just one since they have the same symptoms? Now I think it's probably caused by a pathogen since both of them suddenly getting liver/kidney disease at the same time doesn't seem very likely.

4. enigma731

enigma731 Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

Take them both in. Watch closely. If it's an infection, they may need emergency treatment before Saturday.

Hankmacaw likes this.
  5. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    It depends on your vet. My vet will only give me enough medicine for the animals she has personally seen, so I am required to bring in all pets that need treatment to get medicine for them. I know other vets are a little more lenient though

Shezbug and Hankmacaw like this.
  6. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    Take them both in JMHO

7. greenytijana

Tiana
    I'll take them both in, then.

I'm hoping it won't come to that... :( I would have already taken them in by now, but finding transport has been nigh impossible. Crossing my fingers they won't take a turn for the worse before Saturday.

I know lethargy and bloody stool mean emergency. Anything else I should be on the lookout for?

8. enigma731

enigma731 Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

Lack of eating, vomiting, weakness/loss of balance. Do you ever give them probiotics? That could maybe help support their immune systems in the meantime.

9. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    I’m so sorry your birds might be sick and I hope they’ll be okay. Keep them very warm while you wait for Saturday, and monitor them closely.

Mizzely likes this.
  10. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Take them both to the vet. Maybe you can somehow push for an earlier appt. Hope they will be OK.

Hankmacaw likes this.
  11. greenytijana

Tiana
    Update: The smell is gone. No other changes are present so far.

There's a weird thing that's going on though - it seems that at certain times the poop is almost normal(just a bit polyuric), and at other times it is very wet(no urates at all).

What sort of probiotics would I be able to give them? I'm not sure they would be on the market here(I assume they need different gut flora than humans) but I'll ask my vet.

iamwhoiam likes this.
  12. Shezbug

Shezbug I have a macaw and don't post enough photos

I don’t remember the brand that was given to my bird (he was not unwell) but I do know they were for humans. The directions were 1-2 sachet packs per day mixed together (it was two separate packages that had to be mixed when ready to use) for 7or 14 days (I can’t remember which).
    So for the bird, I was told one lot of the mixed sachet packs should last him seven days. I was given enough to make 14 days worth for the bird which was two human doses.
    My vet said she uses those because they work out cheaper and they work the same as any she can get branded for birds/animals. They have the same stuff in them.
    I am not saying this is what you should do, just thought it may be of help.
    I hope both your birds will be ok.

13. greenytijana

Tiana
    Got back from the vet, very frustrated. I'm gonna have to get a new vet. This one has had way too many chances already. Sorry in advance for wall-o-text.

Apart from being very unpleasant to work with, which I can take, they seemed generally unprofessional(not asking about how long the symptoms were present, the birds' medical history, etc. and also making me bring poop samples in a few days instead of just telling me to bring them on the phone when I made the appointment and saving a lot of time) and offered some advice that is more than a little ridiculous, IMHO.

Let's get the good out of the way first: I shouldn't feed them much banana because parrots getting poisoned with pesticides is common here. The poop might be weird from stress due to molting(believeable, as this has happened a few times before but only to Teri and without the smell). Teri has slight sores on his feet because he's overweight(I already knew that and it's one of the reasons I went to the vet, but at least it makes sense, even if it's just info repeated back at me without any advice on how to fix the problem...)

And now, the bad. Get ready.
    When chatting with one of the vets while waiting they seemed surprised that I even let my birds out of the cage. But oh well, it could just be that they don't know much about birds. Despite there being a cross-billed B&G loose in the clinic. But y'know, benefit of the doubt and all.
    Avian vet's first reaction was a deadpan "They look alert...", as if I wasn't supposed to bring them in unless they were literally dying. Looked at me like I'm crazy when I told them about vinegar in their water. The appointment was almost pointless, she just looked them over for a second, felt their keels, confirmed what I already knew and told me to bring fresh poop samples Monday, if I wanted to. Didn't wanna get(or examine visually) any of the poop in the carrier, wait for the birds to poop there and use that or even look at pictures I took of their cage liner. Didn't weigh them, listen to their breathing or heart, nothing you'd expect from a normal checkup. Gave me vitamins for their water. Normal ''dosage'', despite the birds drinking a lot.

But the final nail in the coffin was when I was told to stop feeding them greens and pellets, and switch back to a seed diet. What????? Didn't even give any reasoning behind it, they just told me to do it and started telling me how good and trusted Versele-Laga was(literally the same company I buy pellets from...). Apparently, "all that extra stuff'' is ''unnecessary" and I will "see drastic improvement" if I switch to all seed.

I'm not a vet, I'm not trying to pretend I am a vet or tell vets how to do their job, but... As a simple biology enthusiast, I'd say it's ludicrous to suggest a complex organism can get all the nutrients it needs from a single source. We don't eat the same thing every day, so why should birds?! The only animals I know of that eat a single thing are highly specialized and it is usually to their detriment(koalas, for example).

A thing I'm a bit on edge with is Oro-bath, a thing they gave me to bathe them with to help Teri's foot sores. Apparently it's not supposed to be ingested, but birds preen... I dunno. What do y'all think?

I am gonna try contacting a breeder that seems to take good care of their birds(though it's not like the bar is very high at this point...). They live in another town but if it means getting a better vet I will take it. If that doesn't work out I'll try finding a good exotics vet here, then I will move to further cities...

Sigh. In other, better news, the polyuria has gone down a bit. I'm seeing more of the slightly-wet-but-still-have-urates poops. :) They also took this vet trip quite well, they were even excited to look out the car window when we started moving. Maybe they'll turn into little travelers! It's nice seeing them not being as afraid of everything as they used to be.

Tiel Feathers and Mizzely like this.
  14. Mizzely

Shawna
    I would have been livid!! That sounds like a giant waste of time and money. I'm so sorry. :(

I'm glad the symptoms have improved at least! Hopefully they are on their way to recovery!

15. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

That is a very sad vet appt. and good idea to get a new vet. I think you should post a review about that place. What is their background when it comes to treating birds?
    Good that the polyuria is decreasing. Polyuria can sometimes be idiopathic and unrelated to infection or disease. Still good to get a diagnosis. They could have done so many other things such as taken an anal swab, waited and taken fecal sample for a gram stain, etc., but then you already know that. I would have been extremely angry.

Mizzely likes this.
  16. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    How crazy!! I’m sorry that this vet appointment seemed like a big waste of time and money. At least the birds did well on the outing, and I hope you can find a good qualified vet!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)