• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smell of real flowers okay for parakeets?

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
I've been looking online and I can't find anything about it so I figured I would ask here.

So tomorrow I'm going to see my grandma & I was planning on taking Tweety with me so they could finally meet each other & I'm going to be taking flowers to put on my grandpa's & take some for my grandma also. My question is will the smell of the flowers be bad for Tweety? Or will she be okay? If they won't be okay for her then I'll have to leave her home....

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just never tire of learning things here, I really LOVE this forum SO much! Last year I brought Hibiscus flowers in and laid them BY the cage for Ferg and Fi to enjoy, but kept forgetting to google if they were safe to be IN the cage. Now I see the link @Lady Jane posted and it even says Hibiscus flowers contain Vitamin C! My Hibiscus is my lone outdoor plant that requires care and watering every day in summer. @Yoshi&Raphi - I grew up on the Texas coast, so we had lots of those bottle brush, and they were so pretty, and smelled SO good! We had one in the back yard.

I am now skipping off to pick that Hibiscus bloom that bloomed this morning to uh... 'scare the birds to death today since they've never received a flower INSIDE'... Ya'll budgie people know what I mean... Curious? Yes... - but also Terrified Haaaaa! :eeeek::scared1:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Flowers in general are ok, it's the pollen that floats around from other things that can land on the flowers.
For example, some species of oak trees give off a fine yellow highly irritating pollen, that wreck havoc in some birds. Causes sneezing, rhinitis, and swelling of the cere.
This fine dusty power gets on flowers...good rule of thumb...rinse flowers before letting bird have them and you'll be fine!.

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Oh yes I know exactly what you mean lol. We have a lilac tree and while it bloomed last Spring (basically only a week or 2:cautious:)
I may have inadvertently terrified and intrigued Jo once or twice!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Alien J I live in Australia you may not be able to find them where you live but Yoshi’s favourites are bottle brush and dandelion flowers.
View attachment 312889
Oh and almost forgot those small flowers on rosemary.

Burt loves these and also any gum tree flowers as well as nasturtiums, there are other flowers I give him too but these ones seem to be his favorites :)