1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smell of real flowers okay for parakeets?

Discussion in 'Budgie Boulevard' started by Tweetysmomma, 8/15/19 at 1:30 PM.

1. Tweetysmomma

Tweetysmomma Strolling the yard

iris
    I've been looking online and I can't find anything about it so I figured I would ask here.

So tomorrow I'm going to see my grandma & I was planning on taking Tweety with me so they could finally meet each other & I'm going to be taking flowers to put on my grandpa's & take some for my grandma also. My question is will the smell of the flowers be bad for Tweety? Or will she be okay? If they won't be okay for her then I'll have to leave her home....

Fergus Mom, faislaq and Alien J like this.
  2. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Vendor POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    That should be fine :)

Shezbug, Eloy, Fergus Mom and 5 others like this.
  3. Yoshi&Raphi

Yoshi&Raphi Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting!

Raphi
    I give Yoshi safe flowers to tear apart all the time and he’s fine! So I think your budgie will be ok with them to.

Shezbug, Fergus Mom, faislaq and 2 others like this.
  4. Miss_sj

Miss_sj Walking the driveway

stacie
    We sometimes have flowers in the house and mh budgie is fine!

5. Alien J

Alien J Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue

Janet Rush Van Eyck
    What are the safe flowers?

Shezbug, Fergus Mom and faislaq like this.
  6. Yoshi&Raphi

Yoshi&Raphi Jogging around the block I Can't Stop Posting!

Raphi
    @Alien J I live in Australia you may not be able to find them where you live but Yoshi’s favourites are bottle brush and dandelion flowers.
    upload_2019-8-16_17-46-50.jpeg
    Oh and almost forgot those small flowers on rosemary.

Shezbug, Eloy, Fergus Mom and 2 others like this.
  7. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
  8. Fergus Mom

Fergus Mom Rollerblading along the road

Elly
    I just never tire of learning things here, I really LOVE this forum SO much! Last year I brought Hibiscus flowers in and laid them BY the cage for Ferg and Fi to enjoy, but kept forgetting to google if they were safe to be IN the cage. Now I see the link @Lady Jane posted and it even says Hibiscus flowers contain Vitamin C! My Hibiscus is my lone outdoor plant that requires care and watering every day in summer. @Yoshi&Raphi - I grew up on the Texas coast, so we had lots of those bottle brush, and they were so pretty, and smelled SO good! We had one in the back yard.

I am now skipping off to pick that Hibiscus bloom that bloomed this morning to uh... 'scare the birds to death today since they've never received a flower INSIDE'... Ya'll budgie people know what I mean... Curious? Yes... - but also Terrified Haaaaa! :eeeek::scared1:

Kiwi's Mom, Shezbug and JoJo&Loki like this.
  9. Hawk12237

Hawk12237 Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Michael
    Flowers in general are ok, it's the pollen that floats around from other things that can land on the flowers.
    For example, some species of oak trees give off a fine yellow highly irritating pollen, that wreck havoc in some birds. Causes sneezing, rhinitis, and swelling of the cere.
    This fine dusty power gets on flowers...good rule of thumb...rinse flowers before letting bird have them and you'll be fine!.

10. JoJo&Loki

JoJo&Loki Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Kelly
    Oh yes I know exactly what you mean lol. We have a lilac tree and while it bloomed last Spring (basically only a week or 2:cautious:)
    I may have inadvertently terrified and intrigued Jo once or twice!

Shezbug likes this.
  11. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Burt loves these and also any gum tree flowers as well as nasturtiums, there are other flowers I give him too but these ones seem to be his favorites :)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)