• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small parrot/parakeet recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afleetalex

Walking the driveway
I've been searching for the perfect bird for me and so far I have it narrowed down to a mousebird, a bourke, or grey cheeked parakeet(if I can even find one). Any small parrots or parakeets that you recommend that make good loving pets? Can be a softbill too.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
again that is a matter of personal choice...I find parakeets to be wonderfully funny little feisty creatures

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have a Bourke’s Parakeet, Bobby, I adopted him at 4 months old in January this year. He is very sweet and he has a gentle temperament. With that said, they aren’t the most affectionate bird like let’s say a Cockatiel, they don’t care for cuddles or scratches, but prefer to just hang out with you on your shoulder while you are on the computer, or doing chores around the house and such. They are also very independent, they can keep their-selves occupied for hours and hours, but they still do need the one-on-one time, otherwise they tend to go a bit skittish, they just don’t need as much interaction/attention as a larger bird would because they aren’t clingy or needy. They are very quiet too, Bobby is my quietest bird that I have, he is even quieter than my Budgies.

I spend quite a bit of time with my Bourke’s, Bobby, he loves preening my hair, and I can get kisses from him, he will sit around with me and watch TV, or go off and do what he wants to do, he loves flying around, nothing better, and he is just such a sweetie. I had never interacted with a Bourke’s previously, and now that I have, and have one myself, I can tell you now, they are a top little bird and make a great companion.

Here are a few photos of Bobby, he is about 6 months old now.

Have you looked into Green Cheek Conures? I have 2 and they are absolutely the best! They are very affectionate, funny, and cheeky, they are a big bird in a little body.

There is Cockatiels too, they are another very affectionate bird, they are big snuggle bugs that will want to be with you constantly and you can give them cuddles for as long as you want and they will take it all and love it at the same time and never get sick of it. ;)

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
It really depends on what you're looking for in a companion bird. If you like small and active but not very hands on, go for a smaller parakeet species. If you a hands on, cuddly and acrobatic, I'd say a green cheeked conure!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I highly recommend GCC's to me they are the best little birds.

Afleetalex

Walking the driveway
I would get a conure but they are way too noisy for my neighbors to handle. They'd blow a gasket. I'm going to a bird fair next Saturday in Stillwater so I'm going to check out some birds there. Maybe I'll find a species that interests me. I'll also be able to see some bourkes in person.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
The pyrrhura conures (green cheek conure) are about as loud as a cockatiel, not at all like the larger aratinga conures such as the sun.

Pumpkin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tracy
My GCC is not loud at all. And a good choice for a Parakeet is also a cute little Linnie. Very sweet.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
I fully support the loudness and awesomeness of gcc's-not very loud and very fun! My gcc is my favorite bird.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Out of the three you listed i would definitely say a grey cheeked parakeet...mine is 21 years old and still with me. I was very fortunate over 20 years ago to find two in a local pet shop. Unfortunately I only got the one...if I had know how rare they are I would have brought both of them home.

good luck finding one....I have always searched but never found one again:( I also don't know anyone else who has one....

This is my old man Dozer.:heart:

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.