• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Slip covers for "Sun Decks"

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Originally, these sun decks are not very comfortable looking. :headsmack:

The following is a quick tutorial for improving the comfort level.

prevue-sun-deck-large.jpg

Materials:
  • A large piece of no-pill fleece
  • Some sharp scissors (fabric scissors are the best)
  • A sun deck

Step 1: Set out a large piece of no-pill fleece. Fold in half.
Step 2: Place your sun deck so that the front of it is sitting on the fold line. Measure and cut two inches from the deck on the left, right, and back side. (It doesn't have to be perfect. I usually eyeball it.)

Step 3: Cut out the squares from the back side [x]

Step 4: Cut your strips on the left, right, and back sides. Don't cut too close to where the metal will be.

Step 5: Tie the top and bottom strips together on the left and right sides.

Step 6: Slide your cover on to the sun deck. Tie the top and bottoms of the back strips together.

** If you want this to be a bit more stable, I suggest cutting a piece of cardboard slightly smaller than the size of the metal deck. Place this on top of the metal and then put the cover on and tie the back strips. You can replace the cardboard piece whenever it's time to wash the slip cover.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh I love this!! I was going to get a sun deck for the rats but didn't want them on the wire! So simple.

You know what else would be cool (tangent incoming) - you could use two of these stacked in the cage to make a little hide out :lol:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Oh I love this!! I was going to get a sun deck for the rats but didn't want them on the wire! So simple.

You know what else would be cool (tangent incoming) - you could use two of these stacked in the cage to make a little hide out :lol:
I used to tie on small pieces of seagrass mat to these until it struck me that I could do a no-sew cover. Not that the seagrass was bad, but this is definitely more cushy! I've also secured a longer piece of seagrass mat to this and curved it upwards and secured the long end to the top of the cage so it made a sort of destructible cave. Rupert was afraid of it, so I stuck with this.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very nice idea. Thanks for sharing. I wrap Callisto's deck with vet wrap. Pull it off when dirty and toss it.
I have a lot of fleece so maybe I will try your cover.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Very nice idea. Thanks for sharing. I wrap Callisto's deck with vet wrap. Pull it off when dirty and toss it.
I have a lot of fleece so maybe I will try your cover.
I bought a ton last year around Black Friday. I'm not entirely sure what I thought I was going to do with it all, but the pattern (peacock feathers) was too cute to pass up. I am weak.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I bought a ton last year around Black Friday. I'm not entirely sure what I thought I was going to do with it all, but the pattern (peacock feathers) was too cute to pass up. I am weak.
I bought a lot, too, when Joann had an excellent discount on it. Camo, tie dyed, and solid. So far only used the camo fleece to make two dog jackets. I am going to fix Jaden's birdie bed, make another dog jacket, maybe make some bird toys and dog toys and I don't know what else. I would have probably purchased the peacock feather one if I had seen that. I like it.

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I bought a lot, too, when Joann had an excellent discount on it. Camo, tie died, and solid. So far only used the camo fleece to make two dog jackets. I am going to fix Jaden's birdie bed, make another dog jacket, maybe make some bird toys and dog toys and I don't know what else. I would have probably purchased the peacock feather one if I had seen that. I like it.
Yeah, it was from Joann! :) I wanted more, but didn't know what I'd do with it. There were several tie dye ones I liked, but I wanted something bird related. There were some cute dino ones that made me think Lil Monsters! :lol:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That's great!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Very creative.

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Link
JUST added this to totos cage!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Ooh! I don't know why I never thought of this! I've been using vet wrap. I'll have to try this out!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Ooh! I don't know why I never thought of this! I've been using vet wrap. I'll have to try this out!
These are super easy. I always have a few extras on hand because Rupert is a PIG. :meh:

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Such a great idea!!! Definitely much simpler than what I did a while ago (wove thicker jute throughout the whole thing. yes, it took HOURS) :faint::lol: And it was much harder to clean, of course.