• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep Tent Hazards?

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
For my baby cockatiel, I was thinking about sleep tents. I heard from some people their bird loved it, and others said it chokes the bird.
So before I rush out and buy one, I was thinking what everyone here thinks?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't like these types of things for cockatiels, because they could be considered good nest sites and lead to more hormonal behaviors. Also, many people's birds have ingested the fibers of certain types of huts, which can lead to impaction and death. I'd say they are not needed for cockatiels.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They also can get caught in the fibers if they chew on them, which can cause injury or death. Koopa once got her foot stuck in one and was hanging upside down, unable to free herself. I was luckily home and able to free her, but I had to use scissors to do it. Had I not been home? I dare not wonder.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
So, if I want Sunny to have somewhere to sleep, I should just put a wooden shelf {The bird kind} in the cage?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yes, a platform perch would be fine. My birds sleep on rope perches in sleep cages in a seperate room.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
My two Lovebirds (both males) came home from the breeders with one of those tents. The fleece on the inside was very flat and smooth. But I actually caught them using their beaks and pulling up the fuzz. So I didn't want to take a chance and I removed the tent for safety reasons. I purchased a coconut hut for them and they love it just like the tent. That is where they sleep at night, they don't hardly use it in the day time, they are too busy playing and eating. But in the evening they head there for bed.

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Sleep tents can promote hormones in cocktails and is not recommended. I have found that a mini cargo net for parrots from eBay is brilliant for sleep time and you can hang it across the top of the cage like an upper level and they will climb up an use it as a safe bunk at bed time... mine love it...

20170815_074641.jpg