• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep Schedule

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Okay guys. I need help with something.. so hubby came home for lunch and told me that next week he will be starting to work nights, which puts us sleeping days. His schedule will be 10:30pm to 7 am.. soo if I'm going to be awake at night, and sleeping during the day, how can I make it to where my bird can sleep peacefully without the sun waking him during the day, and for her to be able to be up with me at night? Is this even possible? If I choose to stay awake during the day while hubby sleeps, our household will surely turn into arguements or be awkward. Husband is not happy with me not getting to spend time with him and last thing I need is more stress right now, which in turn could put me in a stressful position around my bird and I dont want her to sense that because were working on bonding. Now, our bedroom we have prepped for ourselves and blacked out the windows so we will be prepared to sleep better for this day cycle. Should I move her cage in there so she can sleep when we sleep in the dark room, then take her out during the night with me to her playstand in the living room? This is all stressing me out and I only have a few days to decide what to do. I am also worried about the solar schedule as I have read that it's important.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
No, definitely don't try to change her circadian rhythm. My vote is for you getting up 6 ish, spend a couple of hours with her before you and your husband go to bed. Then, get up at 4:30 and spend the rest of the time doing whatever. It's similar to what people do who work full time day jobs. Their birds are no worse for wear. Leave music on for her or the TV for background noise.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I spend most of my time with Ripley after 9 to 10pm.. He naps during the day to hang out with me when everyone else goes to bed.

I know several people that make it work!

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
I spend most of my time with Ripley after 9 to 10pm.. He naps during the day to hang out with me when everyone else goes to bed.

I know several people that make it work!
Okay! That sounds good! I just want it to work for her bc I know they can get cranky with changes.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is not a good idea, if not impossible, to change your birds sleeping schedule from sleeping at night to staying awake all night and sleeping during the day.

IMO, you’re going to have a very cranky miserable bird and one that will likely become sick from the stress from the attempt of such a drastic change.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
It is not a good idea, if not impossible, to change your birds sleeping schedule from sleeping at night to staying awake all night and sleeping during the day.

IMO, you’re going to have a very cranky miserable bird and one that will likely become sick from the stress from the attempt of such a drastic change.
Okay. Well I may have to stay awake during the day then. It's either cranky husband or cranky bird.. rather it be the husband.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt often takes day time naps. When I first noticed how often he took them and how ASLEEP he actually was I personally stopped worrying about all the hype of quiet dark undisturbed lengthy sleep times. I have severe insomnia so I am awake a lot when I should not be. I try to be quiet and move slowly when I do have to be in the same room as Burt, but I no longer avoid disturbing him. I honestly have not noticed a difference in him from the nights he gets more peace and quiet and the nights he gets disturbed.
The sleep thing always did make me wonder as I often hear birds in the middle of the night that have been disturbed by something.......if a birds sleep patterns had to be so strict and undisturbed we would not have any birds left in the wild.
I personally would be concerned about changing a birds sleep patterns to match in fully with changing work shifts though. Could be quite stressful for all involved.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Burt often takes day time naps. When I first noticed how often he took them and how ASLEEP he actually was I personally stopped worrying about all the hype of quiet dark undisturbed lengthy sleep times. I have severe insomnia so I am awake a lot when I should not be. I try to be quiet and move slowly when I do have to be in the same room as Burt, but I no longer avoid disturbing him. I honestly have not noticed a difference in him from the nights he gets more peace and quiet and the nights he gets disturbed.
The sleep thing always did make me wonder as I often hear birds in the middle of the night that have been disturbed by something.......if a birds sleep patterns had to be so strict and undisturbed we would not have any birds left in the wild.
I personally would be concerned about changing a birds sleep patterns to match in fully with changing work shifts though. Could be quite stressful for all involved.
That is interesting to think about birds in the wild. Yes were gonna have to figure out something. I'm thinking about making her a sleeproom as well as I want her to be peaceful. Your right this is really stressful even to think about.