• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep schedule

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
hey there, I’m just wondering if this is a good sleep schedule for Leo. I read that Lovebirds don’t really need 12 hours of sleep but 12 hours of darkness, so I’ve been putting his sheet over his cage at 7pm so he can wake up the same time as me (7am) I don’t actually take his sheet off until 8 though, so he can just have that extra time. I used to leave a lamp on at the opposite side of the room however the past week I left it off, figuring it a bad idea. Does this sound healthy? I also read that they need 14 hours, which I personnaly hope isn’t true because I have a fairly large commute home so I will have almost no time to spend time with him. It also means I can’t put him to bed later because then nobody can take his sheet off without him losing sleep. Do they only need 12 hours? Thanks in advance.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
We don’t have a strict schedule. They go to bed at 9pm which is basically four hours spent with me. Big Scooter wakes everyone up at 7am.

lisaraby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa
So far what is working for me is Indie goes to sleep between 830-9 and wakes up with me about 630-7. Indie is good at putting themselves to bed when they're tired so I take my cue for night time from them.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
So far what is working for me is Indie goes to sleep between 830-9 and wakes up with me about 630-7. Indie is good at putting themselves to bed when they're tired so I take my cue for night time from them.
I’ve been trying to keep a solid schedule as I’ve heard birds like routine.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
10-12 hours is fine. In case Leo is actually a girl, I would stick to a routine of 12 hours (this will help curb nesty behaviour).

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
10-12 hours is fine. In case Leo is actually a girl, I would stick to a routine of 12 hours (this will help curb nesty behaviour).
Thanks, I’m trying to save up to get a blood test done to see what gender he is. If there is no male can females still lay eggs?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks, I’m trying to save up to get a blood test done to see what gender he is. If there is no male can females still lay eggs?

Absolutely.

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
Eros has more than one schedule. There's the Winter one and Summer one.

In winter the sun sets here at around 5pm. Eros is always out his cage in my room at this time. He goes to bed himself in my dressing gown which hangs behind my door (his preference for sleeping position is hanging). I then put him in his sleep cage when I head to bed. He sleeps until 6:30am ish.

In summer the sunsets around 7pm. I darken my room so Eros goes to bed at 6pm. He then wakes up at 4am. I keep him in the cage until 5ish. Then he gets to come out and sleeps on my face for another hour while I contemplate life. On Sundays when I'm not working or the weekend back when I had school, I take him to his day cage at 6am so I can sleep some more.

I always let him follow the sunrise and sunset when it comes to sleeping like the wild birds do.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do they only lay eggs if they feel comfortable in thier enviroment?

Some birds are more easily thrown into breeding condition then others. So generally yes they need to be comfortable.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
The boys go to bed at 8 and wake up around 7 or 8am.
Kamara used to go to bed around 9 and wake up at 7 or 8 as well, she also took a few short naps throughout the day as she was an old girl. I've never run into any issues with this schedule but the boys a I take a 15-30 minute nap in the middle of the day because I need naps too! If you have a lamp on as a nightlight I don't think that would be an issue. I have an unintentional nightlight in my phone charger (it has a blue led in it) and I've never had any issues with birds not sleeping through the night because of it, if anything it helped Kamara with her anxiety at night

Reactions: Jas