• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep Requirements

OpalRaven

Strolling the yard
So I know parrots are supposed to have about 12hours uninterrupted sleep. How does everyone manage that and what are your sleep routines like? Some days I work a 12 hr day so by the time I leave for work and get back I've been gone about 13 hours. Or right now we have the new parrot (Barbossa) in the living room and we get up around 5am so by the time we are home and making dinner it is 7-8pm sometimes later. I am pretty sure he does nap during the day because he doesnt seem to play with the toys. And on a day off I saw him napping... I know when Quagmyer, who is in the guest bedroom, wants his light off at night because he gets all loud and noisy randomly.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
That is a myth. Go with the flow and try to give them 7 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep with a light out. They will make their own schedules. I have a grey who wakes up around three in the morning most nights and has the need to play with his stainless steel toys!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My Amazon's go to sleep when we do. Usually 10:30 to 11 pm...... we're up in their space about 7ish.

They do nap during the day (thank you Nest Cam).

Thankfully they seldom make noise early in the morning on weekends either.

I worried that I was doing everything wrong with their sleep patterns but then determined they love us, love having us around, so. .... we deal with it. If problems develop then we do the figure out thing and obviously a sleep issue would be explored at that time.

I find it hard to believe they could sleep 12 hours uninterrupted in the wild. There are things out there that could eat them. They'd be sleeping with one eye open!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Linnie has lights off from 9PM-7AM each day and naps off and on during the day.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
My Amazon's go to sleep when we do. Usually 10:30 to 11 pm...... we're up in their space about 7ish.

They do nap during the day (thank you Nest Cam).

Thankfully they seldom make noise early in the morning on weekends either.

I worried that I was doing everything wrong with their sleep patterns but then determined they love us, love having us around, so. .... we deal with it. If problems develop then we do the figure out thing and obviously a sleep issue would be explored at that time.

I find it hard to believe they could sleep 12 hours uninterrupted in the wild. There are things out there that could eat them. They'd be sleeping with one eye open!
I recently read that they can and do sleep with one eye open! It might have been in the article that Shawna just posted. I know a few people who went to Africa to see the greys and they had told me that they are active and loud through the night!:)

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
There is no way I can give Pampa 12 hours sleep and attention. I get home around 6 p.m. and Pampa is out of his cage until 8 p.m. I cover his cage at 9. I get up at 5 a.m. and uncover his cage at 6 a,m.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I recently read that they can and do sleep with one eye open! It might have been in the article that Shawna just posted. I know a few people who went to Africa to see the greys and they had told me that they are active and loud through the night!:)
Someone told me about cockatoos that lived outside (aviary perhaps?) and videos of them at night. Apparently the birds were eating bugs (roaches?) at night!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I try to give my budgie 10-12 hours of sleep. He gets up at 8 every morning, and goes to bed at 8 or 9.

Known Space

Meeting neighbors
I have an avian full-spectrum lamp above the cage -- at the proper distance from the bird -- attached to a consistent timer. No irregular sleeping times for her.

She gets hours and hours of time outside of her cage, so she isn't over-exposed to the full-spectrum light. And the timer allows me to go out at night if I were to have plans. Of course, I don't do it all the time. But I like having the flexibility.