• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep hut?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, I just read that caiques like to sleep in a tent or a box. Does yours? I tend not to be a fan of those. But if Rio needs it, whatever the caique wants....

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If I recall correctly, @saroj12 does not use either in her caiques' cage.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I supply all mine with nestboxes. Some like them, some dont. In general the ( Paired off) adults like the boxes, the youngsters like to sleep outside, huddled up in groups

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Irishj9 Thank you. Since he is a singleton, maybe I'll try one. Do you think he will be ok as a single? He takes so much time and energy I kinda can't imagine having another one like him!

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
he will take half as much time and energy with a friend ( which HE picks)

At the moment you have to be everything to him. Consider taking some pressure off yourself and give him some company. Tread carefully. Its not an easy process unless he is still quite young

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
He is 5 months.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
He is 5 months.
Then if you're thinking of getting him a friend. so it soon, before he is a year to 18 mths old is best.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
OK thank you! Still trying to convince hubby we need a 2nd one.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
If I recall correctly, @saroj12 does not use either in her caiques' cage.
Right, because I don't want them to nest. Rio is a single male though so that wouldn't be a concern? He might get territorial about it...

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
OK thank you! Still trying to convince hubby we need a 2nd one.
Just be warned....screaming will amplify hundredfold....not constant, but when they get excited... I distract them with activities...like I just gave them wet washcloths to surf on. When they were younger and I not so patient, I often regretted getting two. They have avery grating screech!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I carried his silly self into the living room to meet my friend today and he went silent on me! Wouldn't move, wouldn't talk. I didn't realize he was shy. Guess we need to visit with more people!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I carried his silly self into the living room to meet my friend today and he went silent on me! Wouldn't move, wouldn't talk. I didn't realize he was shy. Guess we need to visit with more people!
My two love the sitters and the girls!

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I'm in the no box/tent camp. Mine happily sleep on a perch or swing. However, they have their own bedroom and seperate sleep cages!

SquawkandHowl

Moving in
Real Name
Lily Kunning
Only give nest boxes if you want breeding, otherwise it is frustrating to the bird and they can get aggressive when frustrated.

Miaogom

Checking out the neighborhood
My caique used to sleep in her tent every night. Recently I switched the tent out for washing and tried to put in a small animal hut and she actually loves it. Caique likes to sleep in a enclosed place so any sort of tent/hit/box would be nice. The adults are also said not to defecate in such so that's nice.

You can see the giraffe hut in the video linked here:

Charity921

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charity
Mine has a fleece tent, and loves to sit in it anytime he has to be in his cage... except when sleeping. For that, he prefers the corner shelf I mounted in the top of the cage.

CristineK

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristine
@Lisidou where did you get your snuggle ring? it's adorable. I have a tent for Kooki and she will sit on her perch which is close to the tent, she does put her little head in the tent but doesn't really go in. I really think she would love a snuggle ring.

Lisidou

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
@Lisidou where did you get your snuggle ring? it's adorable. I have a tent for Kooki and she will sit on her perch which is close to the tent, she does put her little head in the tent but doesn't really go in. I really think she would love a snuggle ring.
Sorry for delay. I will ask my daughter for the contact info. It's Cathy Grimes I believe. She is a member of a Caique Group I an in on Facebook.