• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep habits for GCC?

Peaches_

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ethan
Hi, new owner of a pineapple GCC here. She's settling in wonderfully, seems happy and healthy, and I already love her to bits.

That said; she seems to sleep alot during the day. Throughout the day she takes five or six short naps mostly after time out of the cage or playing.

She's been getting about 10 hours of sleep each night, which is what I've read is enough (if at the low end) but she still does these little naps.

Basically, I was wondering if this is normal or if there might be something wrong. Also, I have only had her home for about 4 days now as well as the fact that she is only about 9 & 1/2 weeks old. Not sure if that makes any difference either.

Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
Some birds do sleep a lot during the day and it's not necessarily bad. Is she actually sleeping with her eyes fully closed when she naps? Sometimes they are just resting/chilling out too. Conures can be crazy but they will sometimes just sit happy and relaxed too.

Also, is her sleep situation totally dark and quiet? If not, she may not be getting a full 10. She also may still be getting used to her new cage and may be waking up during the night because she's still settling in.

I always think it's a good idea for a vet check within the first month regardless. Depending on the bird, I might give them a week or two if they seem stressed from the transition.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
9.5 weeks is really young! At that age they are basically like little 1 year old children - they eat, play hard, poop, and sleep!