1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sleep habits for GCC?

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by Peaches_, 7/7/18.

1. Peaches_

Peaches_ Checking out the neighborhood

Ethan
    Hi, new owner of a pineapple GCC here. She's settling in wonderfully, seems happy and healthy, and I already love her to bits.

That said; she seems to sleep alot during the day. Throughout the day she takes five or six short naps mostly after time out of the cage or playing.

She's been getting about 10 hours of sleep each night, which is what I've read is enough (if at the low end) but she still does these little naps.

Basically, I was wondering if this is normal or if there might be something wrong. Also, I have only had her home for about 4 days now as well as the fact that she is only about 9 & 1/2 weeks old. Not sure if that makes any difference either.

Any help is appreciated, thanks. :)

2. hedylarue

hedylarue Meeting neighbors

Some birds do sleep a lot during the day and it's not necessarily bad. Is she actually sleeping with her eyes fully closed when she naps? Sometimes they are just resting/chilling out too. Conures can be crazy but they will sometimes just sit happy and relaxed too.

Also, is her sleep situation totally dark and quiet? If not, she may not be getting a full 10. She also may still be getting used to her new cage and may be waking up during the night because she's still settling in.

I always think it's a good idea for a vet check within the first month regardless. Depending on the bird, I might give them a week or two if they seem stressed from the transition.

Peaches_ likes this.
  3. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    9.5 weeks is really young! At that age they are basically like little 1 year old children - they eat, play hard, poop, and sleep!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)