• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Skittles has become more comfortable with people

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Skittles has become much more comfortable around and with people. Don't get me wrong, he still hates hands and does not enjoy being picked up. He does, however, accept food from your hand and head scratches. The biggest thing I noticed, though, is he has been wanting out of his cage!

Before, I used to have to bring him out of the cage myself for his daily interaction. Now, if I leave the cage door open and if I'm messing with a wrapper or something (The noise is what gets him. He recognizes the sound of the seed and pellet bag) he'll climb out of his cage to come see what's going on. He'll even climb on the cage door if you go over to open it. I feel bad because if I have my dogs in the room, I immediately have to gently push him back in! It's cute and I love that he's so comfortable with us now, but every time I open the cage door, he tries to sneak out!

He just gets so excited when he hears the food bag! He'll climb up and down the cage and will get as close to the food as he can. I'm loving it! :) :heart:

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Oooooo, I feel uncomfortable with the birdcage door open and your dogs in the room. We hear about so many unfortunate things happening that way. I'm glad skittles is warming up to you.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Oooooo, I feel uncomfortable with the birdcage door open and your dogs in the room. We hear about so many unfortunate things happening that way. I'm glad skittles is warming up to you.
Thanks for your concern. However, I NEVER ever leave the cage door open while they're in the room. It's just to put a food bowl or something in. I will, of course, be extra careful from now on, though. Thanks. :)

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I'm happy to hear you're being careful. Sorry if I overreacted, guess I misunderstood. It sounds like you're developing a good relationship

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I'm happy to hear you're being careful. Sorry if I overreacted, guess I misunderstood. It sounds like you're developing a good relationship
It's no problem at all! I appreciate your concern! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad he's getting so comfortable and wanting to come out of his cage more! :dance4:
You'll have to start putting the dogs away more so he can come out and have some fun!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
And keep the dogs out of the room while you are putting something in or taking something out of the cage. One little slip and that will be a tragic situation.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Glad he's getting so comfortable and wanting to come out of his cage more! :dance4:
You'll have to start putting the dogs away more so he can come out and have some fun!
That is going to be difficult, but I will try anything to make him happy!

The reason it is difficult is because of my smaller dog, Odie. Odie loves being with people. He HAS to be in the same room as somebody. He will wait for me by my bedroom (which isn't really a bedroom) until I come and then he will get all excited. Plus, my room is like his room. He spends the majority of the day curled up asleep in my room in his bed. If I bring him out of my room and close the door, he will scratch at the door until he gets his way. Every time I want to open the cage door, I ask one of my siblings if they'll take him and his bed into their room while I leave the cage door open. My siblings (reluctantly) take him, but then five minutes later they'll let him back out saying, "He was scratching at the door and it was annoying me."

*Sighs* Sometimes my siblings just make me :tmsmakesme::shake:

Anyway, I described the problem horribly, but that's basically what happens. Plus, my brother will sometime say things like, "Just leave Odie in there. He won't do anything but just sleep." There is no way I would ever leave any animal with my birds (specifically my hound dog, bred for hunting and killing small animals)! They just don't get it, these non-bird people!

Anyways, I will do my best to keep the dogs out of my room. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
can you ignore Odie when he scratches at your door? Even 15 minutes at a time being out of the cage will be so enriching for Skittles. But this is only if you can lock your door from the inside. If you can't lock the doors, Skittles is safer caged.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I feel for Odie, but your bird needs just as much interaction and attention. I would also ignore the scratching and lock the door so your feathered friend can have some enrichment and attention. It's only fair, and he's not any less important.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think Skittles will get more accustomed to hands as time goes by....as he needs more time to build up trust being around them... and starting to become an escape artist...you'll definitely have your hands full keeping him safe!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I feel for Odie, but your bird needs just as much interaction and attention. I would also ignore the scratching and lock the door so your feathered friend can have some enrichment and attention. It's only fair, and he's not any less important.
That's how I feel. Whenever my siblings let him out of their rooms, they also say "He doesn't want to be stuck in this room." Well, Skittles doesn't want to be stuck in a cage.

Thanks for all the help and replies. I will do everything I can to make Skittles happy and give him more out of cage time.

Also, I have one concern about their diet. As several of you know, both birds are eating pellets very well. However, I feel they are a bit obsessed with them now, specifically Skittles. Nearly every time I've looked over he has been eating them; it's what he's been doing for most of the day. That's what he's been doing for a while now. I might just be overreacting (and if I am, forgive me). However, he has been eating a lot of them. Is this fine? Thanks!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Perhaps he just eats when you're there with him.....keeping him safe.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
One of my birds seems to eat only when I'm home, so maybe your bird only eats when your in the room. Does he also eat seeds? If I remember correctly you were going to try fresh foods soon, but I can't remember what you said about seeds.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
One of my birds seems to eat only when I'm home, so maybe your bird only eats when your in the room. Does he also eat seeds? If I remember correctly you were going to try fresh foods soon, but I can't remember what you said about seeds.
I leave pellets in their cage for most of the day. Then later I leave a tiny bit of the dry store-bought seed mix in their cage as well. But I assume when you say seed you mean sprouted seed? I have not introduced sprouted seed yet, no. But I will definitely be trying to get them to eat it. Well, what should I introduce first, fresh foods (veggies and fruits) or sprouted seed? I do plan to introduce both, but which one first?

Also, I would prefer to buy the sprouting seed mix, so where would be the best to buy it? I know there's the Sprout People, but I also found this person who is a budgie breeder and sells very nice looking mixes: Organic Budgie Parakeet Food For Sale

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I actually meant a good quality dry seed mix, because that should be a part of their diet too. Sprouts are great, and I would probably try them first because they are a good gateway to fresh foods. They are actually considered a veggie, because once they sprout they are a plant. While you are trying sprouts you can introduce something like broccoli and leafy greens too. No need to wait. I like Sprout People, but the place you found might be good also.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I actually meant a good quality dry seed mix, because that should be a part of their diet too. Sprouts are great, and I would probably try them first because they are a good gateway to fresh foods. They are actually considered a veggie, because once they sprout they are a plant. While you are trying sprouts you can introduce something like broccoli and leafy greens too. No need to wait. I like Sprout People, but the place you found might be good also.
Oh, yes, I do still feed them the seed mix. I put a small amount in their cage at nighttime and remove it in the morning. The seed mix I feed is Wild Harvest Daily Blend (Nutrition Diet) - for Parakeets, Canaries, and Finches.