• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Skinny Caique

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Foward: I have told my parents to take him to the vet, they are on the phone now, but I'm looking into possible causes until they find someone to go to.

My mom and dad just rushed in here asking me what was wrong with their caique, Cai. She said he was acting normal yesterday (doesn't mean much with birds imo) and today he was acting "weird" so she checked him. He's lethargic, skinny, nothing in his crop. I checked his cloaca and it's clean, and checked in his mouth, and there are no sores or anything that I could see, the inside of his mouth did look pale however. Any idea what this could be? I know it's hard to determine with birds but I figured I would post here and ask so if I can give him any care before he gets to the vet. Also, when he perched on my finger he held tighter with one foot than the other, but once she tried to take him back he held tight with both.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bump! I'm not sure what it could be. Maybe even the after effects of a seizure?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It could be illness (bacterial/fungal infections), it could be cancer (fast growing aggressive cancer that takes nutrients from the body), it could be organ failure (enlarged organs causing discomfort, causing bird to eat less food), or any other number of things.

Sorry, I know that's not helpful as it could be any wide range of things and only a vet can say for sure.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sending positive thoughts for Cai! I hope the vet can get to the bottom of this :hug9:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
They lost him :( They called my mom while they were out and he didn't make it. He was too far gone. She's really upset cause she feels like it's her fault but I reminded her how they hide their illness. I feel awful for them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh Morgan, so sorry! That’s awful. Unless you weigh birds each week (and even then) it’s easy to miss illness.
Give your mom extra hugs.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry that your parents lost their caique. :( Fly high little bird.:sorrow:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
They lost him :( They called my mom while they were out and he didn't make it. He was too far gone. She's really upset cause she feels like it's her fault but I reminded her how they hide their illness. I feel awful for them.
I am so sorry! Does the vet know what happened?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I am so sorry! Does the vet know what happened?
Not really, they hadn't even done blood work cause he was so bad. They were thinking possibly an infection that spread and he went septic for how bad he was. They also said he's been like that for a while to be that bad, which made her feel even worse since she only noticed today.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well they do hide their illnesses really well till they can't anymore then you notice and it's too late. Nerd bird was very old but fine, till he wasn't. I noticed he was spending a lot of time on the floor which wasn't really odd for him and he seemed a bit out of it but he'd had minor issues before and was always fine except for a couple of infections he went to the vet for and the meds fixed him right up. I picked him up and lightly tossed him the short hop to his cage and he barely fluttered to the floor when normally he'd make that hop easily. I immediately scooped him up and realized he was very light and weak. We took him to the vet that morning and I skipped work. He was was very underweight and weak. They put him in a oxygen box for a few hours and guessed on meds as doing any tests might have killed him. The oxygen perked him right up and he started vocalizing and playing again but after two weeks he couldn't take it any more even with the meds and another shot of oxygen. I feel bad like I failed him, but he also was at least 31 years old plus so it might have just been his time. The vet even said that and they were amazed when we brought him in at 20 that he was with us that long then. You do the best you can and things happen that just aren't always directly your fault :sadhug:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so very sorry for your loss give your mom an extra hug and don’t blame yourself for all her blame her self fly free Cynthia

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oh no, I´m so sorry he didn´t make it :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss, fly high and prou,d little one.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So sorry to hear the news. :( Are your parents willing to do a necropsy to figure out what happened?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Oh Morgan, so sorry! That’s awful. Unless you weigh birds each week (and even then) it’s easy to miss illness.
Give your mom extra hugs.
I gave her lots of hugs. She's had a rough year honestly. I do month weighs, and sometimes do their birds, but they don't usually.
So sorry to hear the news. :( Are your parents willing to do a necropsy to figure out what happened?
Sadly no, they've already brought him home and buried him. I think they should of since there are other birds in the house but not my decision sadly.