• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Skin colour change around eye?

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
My conure Dino used to have white skin around his eye (the bare patch) and it is now grey. Is this a symptom of something bad or just a regular thing? I’ll attach before and after pictures. I noticed the greyness at least a week ago but just yesterday saw the old picture and how white it used to be and it made me a little bit concerned. He was about 3.5-4 months in the before pic and is now almost 7 months.
B2322BA6-5E4D-430B-A67F-8DC38893B6AF.jpeg
A78C9E24-9934-4D8D-AF97-CE971A869F5A.png
D13C5137-DD57-4647-B2C6-BCB844A1396B.png
The last two were taken on the same day with different lighting. I might email my vet these pictures as well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of diet, and does he get any unfiltered sunlight? sometimes that can affect eye ring color

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
Organic harrison’s pellets (complete), chop with quite a variety of stuff in there, sprouts, birdie bread, nuts as treats, fresh fruits and veggies, very small amount of seeds. Window is right by their cage and open at least a couple hours a day and he loves playing by the window. Also we have a UV light. There aren’t any other symptoms I’ve noticed except a few feathers molted, but I think he’s around the age for his first molt? I’m wondering if this is normal or a symptom of something else, I think one of the symptoms of PHS was discolouration of skin which would be really bad, but we don’t have any dusty birds.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Sunlight and UV light can tan the skin around the eye, making it appear much darker. Black-headed caiques show this pretty dramatically:

vs.

Now if the discolouration is not uniform across both eye rings, or is coupled with swelling, redness, or irritation, then I would worry that there is something medically wrong.

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
That might be it actually! He spends a lot of time by the window and the only thing that has changed is the colour, no swelling or anything. Thank you so much!

veronica2000

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronica Welke-Olmos
So should he be getting less sunlight or is this acceptable?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Severe PHS will cause cheek patches to appear to be blue.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
First, if there is a screen in the window, it is already blocking most of the UVB and some of the UVA, and the UV bulbs provide zero UVB, which is what they need to manufacturer D3.

However, there really isn't "too much" sun for them :) I would even wager that a grey eye ring would actually be more natural and a sign of health than a white eye ring to be honest. I know with Pionus, they get pink eye rings when they get a lot of sun :) It's a sign they are getting a lot of what they naturally need!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This and the previous post with theink is the first time I've heard or seen this.

Very curious.
I live in Florida, my birds get time outside every week. I've never seen this in my conure. Or aviary birds. Mm. Always something new to learn