• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Skiddish Lovebird Missing Toes

sheen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Roisin White
Hi! My mother and I have recently taken in a peachfaced lovebird that only has about two toes. This is our first special needs bird and we have some questions. When we adopted this lovebird, we were told he had issues with other lovebirds because he was often picked on. Is there a way we can ever give him a lovebird friend? We also hope to hand tame this lovebird, but we're not sure if that's possible with the condition he's in. He still has flight wings and is skittish with noises and movement around him. :o:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Keeping him flighted should help him have more confidence. You can hand tame flighted birds. :)

How long have you had him? Will he step up?

sheen

Real Name
Roisin White
We’ve had him for maybe a few months. We don’t know much about his past or how old he is either. He’s very timid and flutters away from any time your hand is in the cage. I’ve only been able to pet his back two times.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
If I were you I would drop a treat in the cage each time I walked by. Also, reading to your bird is a great way for them to become more tame around you. Just sit by the cage and read out loud. I don't know if it's cause you are sitting still, cause you aren't looking right at them or what but it helps. :)

I'll tag some lovebird people for you. @fluffypoptarts @Peachfaced @TikiMyn @expressmailtome

sheen

Real Name
Roisin White
I’ll give it a try, thank you!:laugh:

FreeByrd

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Reading out loud is the main way I have ever tamed my birds... My arms have nerve pain, so holding my arm up (even supported) with millet in my hand was agonizing. So I'd just place millet towards where I was sitting and read to them. As time went on, I'd move the millet closer. Eventually, I'd lay it on my chest and read and they'd come on over. Now, I DO have a big belly and chest... so it is perfect for hanging out on. So that tip may not work quite the same for you or anyone else.... :rofl: but I'd think even sitting it on an end table and then on your arm laying on the end table would work too...

I think you are AWESOME for adopting the little lovie. :heart::heart::heart: :hug8::heart::heart::heart: Good luck bonding!!!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for taking this bird in!
I would spend a lot of ‘passive time’ around him, so Reading for example like Tanya Said, singing if you like that, do your Own stuff around him and talk to him(try not to look directly at him, he might percieve you as a predator).
Keep enough distance however, sit at a distance where he doesn’t show signs of fear.
Every time you enter the room he is in, or walk by his cage, give him a treat. You can give them to him directly, but if he does not take treats from hand, you could add an extra treat bowl to drop the treat in.
I would pay a lot of attention to his body language, every time he shows fear, back off. When my lovie Fëanor came home and I accidentily scared him, I would back off, look at the ground and usually lower my whole body a bit. He quickly learned that if he was scared, I would back off and not force myself on him. Besides, I(the scary thing) could be removed if I became too scary. That Made him more confident. So any time as he showed a sign of fear because of me, I would remove myself.
I would keep him flighted, his wings play an extra import roll for him because of his missing toes. He uses them to keep balance. One of my lovies has a foot that does not work well, and he uses his wings to regain balance all the time. Clipping him Will also remove his ability to flee from the danger(us scary humans!), he Will probably feel Powerless. You can compared that to a human who is paralized by fear I think.
I believe it is possible for him to have a lovebird friend in the future, but it always a gamble if two birds Will get along. In your case, I think your best bet would be to look for a lovie that is a bit mellow and easy going.
I used these things to build trust with my lovie Fëanor. Two weeks after he came home, he was napping on the tip of my finger. Bonding is a lot of fun, good luck! Keep us updated of your progress!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Good post, Robin!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If this bird has suffered trauma, it may take quite some time to earn his trust, so be prepared! You’ve received great advice already! Just keep trying to show him that you’re not a threat, are the source of good things, and that you will respect him/his needs. Thank you for helping him. ❤

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
You could definitely look into getting him a friend. I'd avoid getting a female, though. As much as I love Yen, she's bossy as all heck and will go after toes. Females tend to be more aggressive and dominant as well.

I would recommend getting any friend you pick up for him their own cage. There's really no guarantee that two birds will get along- or if they do, they might not want to share a cage with their new buddy.