• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sitting at the Bottom of the Cage

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
20190615_102050.jpg

Hi! This is Loki, my 2 and a half month old cockatiel. This is the first time I saw him sit on the bottom of the cage with him looking sleepily.

Before this, I went up and talked to him, he would approach me and walk around near me as I talk. After talking to him, I went back a few feet from the bird and he just stayed at one position and sat. It's been more than 5 minutes and he's just sitting there.

He would occaisionally make small squawks or chirps but stays in that sitting position. He looks like he's falling asleep.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The perches you have in the cage could be improved. Young birds aren't quite used to sitting on perches and will go to the bottom of the cage to rest. You could purchase a platform perch for your tiel to rest on and Loki won't have to sit on the grate of the cage to rest. Here's a link to one of the vendors here who sells platform perches:

View Perches/Platforms by TheBestBirdToys on Etsy

Here's another vendor who I bought platform perches from. They have different sizes as well but this is the one I bought because it has more space:

Square Polkadot Perch

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new bird! How long have you had him? Is he had tame or fearful? He looks rather exposed in that cage, so if he’s a new bird and still settling in, I would cover part of the cage. I agree with @Mockinbirdiva he needs a better variety of perches closer to the floor of the cage for now. As he gets bigger and less clumsy, you can start making things higher. Baby birds take several naps throughout the day, so that’s normal, but a check up with any new bird is a good idea. He looks like a real cutie!

RadLad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
RadLad
Congratulations on your new bird! How long have you had him? Is he had tame or fearful? He looks rather exposed in that cage, so if he’s a new bird and still settling in, I would cover part of the cage. I agree with @Mockinbirdiva he needs a better variety of perches closer to the floor of the cage for now. As he gets bigger and less clumsy, you can start making things higher. Baby birds take several naps throughout the day, so that’s normal, but a check up with any new bird is a good idea. He looks like a real cutie!
He's been with us for 9 days now, and for being tame or not.. he'd eagerly walk up to me, he'll chew on the cage bars, climb the cage, and stare at me while slightly tilting his head.

He stays at the bottom of the cage for most of the time, and he would trip from time to time.

Also, thank you!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Could be where he was hatched he had no perches and was always on floor. You may try teaching him to perch by lowering perches about an inch or two from the floor. Gradually move them up as he learns. Can you get rope perches?.. They can be twisted inside cage.
Eventually you will need larger cage.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
It is normal for a tiel that age to be on the floor. Baby tiels are very clumsy and the perches need to be lower. My tiel has platform perches. Also the cage seems like it will be a little small once your baby grows up. You might want to invest in a larger cage, especially if he is going to be in it a lot. Congratulations and welcome. What is your bird's name?

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
@Susan and Oliver have a bunch of platforms. I know @saroj12 just got one, I believe it was from here, but U could be wrong...

Platforms

Also @Davi

Has a ton of different perches for the wee small birds.

Here's a link to the platforms but you may want to look thru the site.

Perches4Change Bird Toys & Products by Perches4Change on Etsy

Almost all our vendors have different types of perches, but these 2 sprung to mind because of platforms specifically.
Thank you, @Rain Bow ! And I'm currently working on other types of platform perches too, so those will be listed in the very near future :)

@RadLad Congratulations on getting Loki! (reminds me of my own "Sunny", a Lutino cockatiel as well). If you need anything I can help with, don't hesitate to let me know! Thanks and would love to see more photos of Loki!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@Susan and Oliver have a bunch of platforms. I know @saroj12 just got one, I believe it was from here, but U could be wrong...

Platforms

Also @Davi

Has a ton of different perches for the wee small birds.

Here's a link to the platforms but you may want to look thru the site.

Perches4Change Bird Toys & Products by Perches4Change on Etsy

Almost all our vendors have different types of perches, but these 2 sprung to mind because of platforms specifically.

Yes, love the OG corner deck!