• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Single Red Flight Feather

Aidenwb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Brick
I recently took in a 2 year old black capped conure. We opted to clip in wings for the time being to allow it to settle in a bond without flying all over the house. When we were doing so we noticed that he had a single red flight feather, with the rest being the normal dark green. Any idea what would've cause him to develop 1 red flight feather or is its cause for concern?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There is sometimes color changes with certain illnesses. @Hankmacaw or @Macawnutz will either know more or be able to tag someone else in to help you with more information.

Aidenwb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Brick
Thanks. I've read that sometimes fatty liver disease can cause pigment changes and since he's 2 and the previous owners fed only seed I wouldn't be surprised. Thankfully we've corrected the diet to pellets, fruit/veggies, beans, and quinoa and the new flight feather that's come up since we've had him is normal coloured.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Picure? If it's liver, the feather I've seen are an off color red. Not the vibrant color you might see on his shoulders.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you have any suspicion that he has a liver problem, put him on Milk Thistle immediately. The feathers I've seen effected by liver disease are very dark brown or black - so I don't know about the red feather. The red feather could very well have been just an anomaly - my bird has weird colored feathers come in some times and it could have been from and injury.

You have corrected his diet, so with some supportive liver Milk Thistle and time the condition should be corrected.

Aidenwb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Brick
Where would I get milk thistle? I can get him on this right away.

Aidenwb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Brick
How much would a small conure like that need? And is it best to give orally or on food?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A couple of drops per day - every day - I always prefer giving by syringe, but on food or in the water will work.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Could be genetic too.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My mitred conure had a tail feather that was half red, half green a couple of years ago. They are supposed to be completely green with an olive undertone to the bottoms. He's 25 this year and after he molted the feather it came back in perfectly normal.

It could be due to a health issue, or just a random abnormality. Bloodwork would have the best chance of explaining anything if it might be health related. I've also heard of hormones causing abnormal colored feathers.