• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Single or Pair?

Nejbirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Grace
Hey guys,

I've sourced a breeder and will be looking into getting a Linnie very soon! My one remaining question is to get just one or a same sex related pair (I've no interest in breeding!).

I've heard a single bird will bond closer to you, but as Linnies aren't really a 'cuddly' bird in the first place, I'd rather my little guy be happiest. I don't know what the pros and cons are of having an only bird or a pair with this particular species, anyone willing to chime in?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I believe that @jmfleish , who has several, has said that they do best when there is more than one.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi Grace, That was my question too last Christmas....I ended up buying two brothers. They had hatched around the end of October and they were eating well and ready to come to me the end of December. The colbalt blue was the one I was going to buy as a single bird, but then I was advised that Linnies are happiest with at least one other Linnie, so I bought a turquoise brother to my colbalt, and brought them home together. Each bird has their own personality of course. And I' so GLAD that I bought them both. They encourage each other to eat, to try new foods, to be friendly to me, ect. The colbalt wouldn't be as friendly to me as the turquoise, except he sees the two of us interacting and he doesn't want to be left out, so he comes over and joins in. The turquoise one began to "talk" quite soon, he also whistles. The colbalt is a better eater, and so when the turquoise sees him eat, then he runs down and eats too! hahaha I have a wonderful time with my babies. And I've never regreted buying them both at the same time. They are named Zoolie (the blue one) and Rizzie (the turquoise one ) Best wishes, keep me posted! :) Patty Girl

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yep, they definitely do better in pairs. We currently have a total of six and they are monkey see, monkey do and are an absolute joy! They do tend to be a more shy bird when it comes to human hands but curiosity always overcomes them and handfed babies are always going to be curious! Good luck!