• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Single Budgie Question

Brinagirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sabrina
Hello,

I am new to Avian Avenue, I don't actually have a bird and it'll be a while before I get one but I have some questions. I'm tempted to get a budgie but I really want to bonded to the bird however I don't want it to be lonely either. Is this possible or should I consider another bird? Can you be bonded with two budgies?

Thank you for reading!

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forums!

As a breeder, I usually always sell my babies as single birds. Why? Because like you, all new owners want a hand tame bird that they can bond with. It's much easier to bond with a single bird, rather than two. When you have just one bird, YOU become it's flock.

Two birds will tend to bond to each other, but that doesn't mean they also can't bond to you as well. You'll just have to dedicate more time and patience to the process. :)

Brinagirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sabrina
Good to know! I'm a bit worried that a single bird would be lonely because I've read that they like to be together. Should I only get one with the intention of getting two?

yellowfeathers

Meeting neighbors
I am relatively new to birds too. I currently only have one bird but whenever I go away for the day, I leave the radio on for him on a relatively low volume. I then usually spend a fair chunk of the day in the room he is in so he generally gets 3+ hours with me per day. I also leave his cage open for a large chunk of this time so he is free to get some exercise and roam if he wishes.

I find that he is generally a very happy, loud and energetic bird and I have even gone as far as to leave a camera filming him when I am not around a few times. These have all shown that he is slightly less playful.when I am not around but still happy. There are obviously a fair amount of variables in this (like the bird itself, the bird life outside and the duration of time you are gone)

I still think it is important to be prepared to get your bird a friend if they seem lonely though.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Budgies seem to be one of the most social of species.

After Marley passed, we were down to one budgie...Omega. She definitely missed her friend..she just didn't seem as happy and lively without a buddy.

Just a couple of weeks ago, we adopted Harley. Now that they are together in the same cage, Omega looks and acts so much happier.

IMO, Budgies do better in flocks...even if it's a flock of two...;)

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
my experience is that you can get a single baby bird and tame your new friend. Then, after 6 months to one year, when your friend is really tame, you can get a new baby that will be easier to tame since he/she will follow your first bird's exemple, but you have to be prepared for both birds to be less tame than when you had a lonely bird since they'll have eachother and will be less dependant on you.

On the other hand, if your bird is used to have a bird friend, he/she will feel very lonely if the companion dies and you will need to get him/her a new friend to see her/him happy again.

Brinagirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sabrina
Thank you all for your advice. I plan on adopting, I'll be sure to find out whether the bird needs a companion or not/ has had one before. I really appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond!

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
My budgie Gary is the only parakeet I have. I think if I had two they would bond with eachother. It’s taken me almost a month to get this lil guy to trust me, it’s still a work in progress, but he has started to leave is cage on his own and fly to us. He sings and talks like crazy. We also have RB Keoki. They will never be friends.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Thank you all for your advice. I plan on adopting, I'll be sure to find out whether the bird needs a companion or not/ has had one before. I really appreciate you all taking the time to read and respond!
Maybe start with one, then see if he needs a friend. But give it some time. If you rush in to two birds, I think you will be disappointed. Especially, if you want him to bond with you. And when you are gone you can leave the radio on for company.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I am a new owner of a 3.5 month old English, and our bird is only alone during the day on Mondays & Tuesdays. I leave the radio on whenever we leave the house to a classical station. He has tons of toys and whatnot, and has settled in nicely as an only bird (we've had him since he was around 6ish weeks old). I think he's entering his first molt, so that's been interesting. He has bonded to us well, and is finally nibbling on greens! One thing to look at (and our Avian vet asked the same question) is after the bird has settled in, is it moving about the cage or just sitting in one spot? Bubbles used to stay on one side of his cage, but now roams all over, as I can tell by the droppings on the cage bottom. I suggest starting with a single bird, then maybe progressing to two. There is a sharp learning curve if you've never owned a bird, as Bubbles is our first. I have watched a friends Tiel in the past, but never had a baby bird of my own before. I'm sure you'll do fine!

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
best way i think getting one and after bonding with it add new one.