• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sighted in Buffalo Grove, IL

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
This was posted on Conure Owners Unite site so I am reposting it here in hopes that someone may also have seen them or has any suggestions.

There were TWO of these birds at someone’s feeder in Buffalo Grove, IL. (Chicago suburb). What kind are they? Do you think they are someone’s pets?

Sad
Comment

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
They look like blue-crowned conures. Almost assuredly escaped pets.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Posts by the lady who saw the birds in her backyard on her feeders has indicated that they won't come to her. I don't know where in BG she is but I'm at the very north end of Arlington Heights so I'll be putting out a cage on my feeder pole with conure/parrot food, water and treats in it in hopes that they might come by here too. Wondering if I should put out something like a nestbox since they are apparently a pair. Worried though since I do have hawks in my area.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
can you suggest that lady put out a parrot cage with food and water inside?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
can you suggest that lady put out a parrot cage with food and water inside?
I don't think she's a parrot person though she has feeders for wild birds in her yard. I'd offered cages/food/water but wasn't taken up on anything. She apparently contacted a rescue in Northbrook and got some tips on how to try to "bring them in". I have a cage set up outside with food, water, treats and apple slices and my windows are all open in the family/bird room in hopes that these conures will hear mine and come to my yard. Needle in a haystack but it's all I can do.

The last time I reunited a bird with their family it was a cockatiel who was found in Barrington trying to figure out how to drink from an ornamental waterfall/pond and Bird was lost in BG (Buffalo Grove). These conures, being bigger than a tiel, could have come from a 100 mile radius quite easily based on their size, they can fly and we've had some gusty winds over the past week or so.

map, Barrington to Buffalo Grove - Google Search

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
All you can do is offer....and hope they come visit your feathered dudes. Breaks my heart to think of lost guys.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
All you can do is offer....and hope they come visit your feathered dudes. Breaks my heart to think of lost guys.
My biggest heart break to this day goes back to the Polar vortex we had several years ago. There was a little budgie (parakeet) that I spotted hanging out with a flock of sparrows. Tried to set out a cage but the darn squirrels kept getting into it and was afraid of setting up something that would catch him and leave him to freeze. He disappeared after a couple of days and I'd like to think that someone caught him or he went to someone.

But a pair would make me think that someone either got tired of the noise and mess or, if they were outside, a neighbour was fed up with noise and turned them loose. Could also be that they opened their own cage and got out. No matter what though it is strange that I can't find anything about a pair of lost blue crown conures during the month of September.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is there a wild flock of Blue Crowns? Perhaps some escaped from a breeder or pet shop a few years ago or so and then started breeding in the "wild" and creating their own flock.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I know that there are wild Quakers in the city of Chicago but I haven't heard (or seen) any in the suburbs. I don't know that blue crown conures would be as hardy. Quakers come from Argentina and Uruguay (as well as other countries) but both Argentina and Uruguay can get down to 32 degrees in winter though not very often and that would be by the coast. Lived in both countries and can remember bad winters (our summers here) when there was sometimes ice on the puddles in the streets. Plus Quakers live in communities.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Is there a wild flock of Blue Crowns? Perhaps some escaped from a breeder or pet shop a few years ago or so and then started breeding in the "wild" and creating their own flock.
I was thinking this too, like the Cherry Headed and Blue Crowned flock in San Francisco. Of course it doesn't get as cold there, but it has snowed once since they have been living there and there were some freezing spells. There was a little budgie that lived in Reno for a few years out in some trees by a farm, with one winter being very uncharacteristically cold.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was thinking this too, like the Cherry Headed and Blue Crowned flock in San Francisco. Of course it doesn't get as cold there, but it has snowed once since they have been living there and there were some freezing spells. There was a little budgie that lived in Reno for a few years out in some trees by a farm, with one winter being very uncharacteristically cold.

Yes, the wild parrots of Telegraph Hill.