• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sif - Home at Last

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome to Sif! Those photos are absolutely adorable! :heart:

Kodigirl210

@Brittany0208 - it’s actually both. I used the foam-like prewrap first and then put vet wrap on top of it. I’m also am conscious of the fact she doesn’t have as good a spread on her feet as most birds, so the very first thing I do is carve the dowel rods so they have dips & rises which makes it even easier to grip. :D

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 - it’s actually both. I used the foam-like prewrap first and then put vet wrap on top of it. I’m also am conscious of the fact she doesn’t have as good a spread on her feet as most birds, so the very first thing I do is carve the dowel rods so they have dips & rises which makes it even easier to grip. :D
Interesting. I'm always looking for ways to improve Java's grip, and helping him perch. He still can't perch without leaning against something but I'm hoping that'll change over time. Where did you get the foam-like prewrap?

Kodigirl210

Interesting. I'm always looking for ways to improve Java's grip, and helping him perch. He still can't perch without leaning against something but I'm hoping that'll change over time. Where did you get the foam-like prewrap?

I just get it from Amazon. We originally got it for my daughter who did roller hockey for a few years. That’s done but the prewrap was left over.

Mueller Underwrap - PreWrap for Athletic Tape/Taping/Head/Hair Bands - Rainbow Assorted Colors - 12/PACK Amazon.com: Mueller Underwrap - PreWrap for Athletic Tape/Taping/Head/Hair Bands - Rainbow Assorted Colors - 12/PACK: Health & Personal Care

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Kodigirl210

The verdict is in. Dr J feels that there is a chance that the toe could catch but because the tissue is slanted it shouldn’t get hung up. She is utilizing the stub so we will leave it on until it can’t be.

The verdict is also in on the other eye. A dot has already formed on the lense. So speculation is now certainty. Sif will be blind in both eyes-it’s just a matter of when versus if. Since the first eye progressed pretty rapidly, I fully expect her to be blind by the time she reaches her first hatch date. I hope to instill in her everything she needs to know between now and then.

No matter what she will be well loved & well cared for. She is my Baby Lady Sif :D

Dragon Lady

Meeting neighbors

Kodigirl210

@Dragon Lady - Thank You!! It has been about comfort from the get go. I wanted to make sure her feet were as comfortable as possible to make sure she used them as much as possible & it worked lol. :dance5::dance5:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Awe little lady :hug8:It's unfortunate she's blind and that she has the whole foot thing, but it's clear she has an excellent home! And she's clearly having a great time! Give her scritches for me :heart:

Kodigirl210

This will probably be the last post on this thread. This past Monday we went to the vet to check her foot & eye. Unfortunately we learned at that time, while the toe should be okay-she had developed a spot on her left eye lense (good eye). Yesterday she was clingy & wouldn’t leave from where she was sitting. Normally she will fly to me. Today it is even more pronounced. Before if I left her on the perch for more than 10-minutes she would fly to the kitchen. Today nothing save my presented hand would get her off. Instead pretending to fly off the shower she shuffled back and forth a couple of times thenstarted preening. While I know the sight is not completely gone, she is already behaving like it is & it is painful to see. I truly wanted a CAG I could cuddle & hug. They say ask and you shall receive. The ubiquitous they forgot to mention at what price that would come. Regardless, she will spoiled and coddled, cuddled, hugged & scritched to her hearts content because Sif is home at last. E2A2517C-E06B-486D-8BD8-101AF75AB159.jpeg 3B1222DC-5653-4F3A-8718-5FE04D87E31D.jpeg