• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sif - Home at Last

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
@Sylvester - Thanks for the vote of confidence. As far as the blindness sometimes it happens. Bad genetics seems the most likely culprit but there’s also the possibility of trauma cataract. That’s why I’m waiting until she is at least 6 months before I feel comfortable that whatever has happened to her eyes are done.

Kodigirl210

Thank you. She’s a character that’s for sure. I wasn’t feeling well today but she informed quite insistently that i was still taking a shower this morning cuz she needed her morning “spray.” Shower complete, Sif ate breakfast and now we are both going to take a nap :hilarious:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sif is a cutie! Look at her go!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I imagine it will continue to improve. In humans, you can expect nerve regeneration for up to a year post-surgery. I'm not sure of course what it is in parrots, but I'm sure you can expect more recovery!! Challenge her with increasingly smaller and more complex things.

Kodigirl210

Yes. It’s not easy. In the begin omg she would get a “wth?” Look when I would make her walk & try to grip the ring. Then we moved to making her hold with a loose foot, then tighter. It’s not her nerves that are damaged, it’s the toes themselves. The skin constricted as she grew from hatching to weanling. The vet said theres not much that can be done except to try to get her to use them.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Ah. I thought it was nerve damage from the surgery. Still though, you're doing good to prevent/reverse the contracture that will occur without use. It looks like she's doing great!! If you ever just get tired of her, I could probably find room her at my house...

Kodigirl210

@Fia Baby - :rofl:
Sif is a good girl. We are still wading through the issues. She’s blind in one eye & I’m pretty sure the other is going too so I’m just trying to teach her as much as possible as quickly as possible. So each time we get something else done-we are off to the next. Tg she is now waddling back to me when I call her. I’m hoping to get her recalled in flight tho in reality she’s not so much a flyer as a glide and grabber lol :eek::huh::roflmao:

Kodigirl210

More progress this morning. Sif can pick up and hold an item as small as the star anise with her right foot. She was trying to grab stuff with her left but she just couldn’t get her leg to bend correctly so she gave up. We are definitely going to have to work on that leftie issue!

Kodigirl210

Ok. This is a test to see if I got it right. This is Sif getting some scritches.

Kodigirl210

So now that the swelling is completely gone on Sif’s amputated toe, I’ve noticed that there is a significant narrowing in the middle of what’s left of the toe. My concern is that the larger part may become hung up resulting in a tear in the narrowed area. Sif will go to the vet on Monday. DB92DD05-6DBA-40DB-850F-82BF51E511C5.jpeg 7A5262A8-A2CD-474D-9E39-2C891948EA09.jpeg

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Aww she's so cute with her barking! :laugh: