• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sif - Home at Last

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Well sadly we started noticing that Sif is flinching away on her left side. I checked her left (good) eye & there are the beginnings of cloudiness. I will be checking it vigilantly, but if her right eye is any indication she will most likely be completely blind in the next few months. Hopefully both eyes will remain in good shape so no surgery will be necessary but of course we will continue to do what’s best for Sif. It’s been a wild ride from day one & yet I don’t regret a moment of it. Sif is where she belongs. :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
This is so sad to hear this. Is there nothing they can do for that eye before it is too late?

Kodigirl210

@BertAllen - unfortunately no. Since it looks like this will be affecting both eyes it’s most likely a genetic issue or just plain bad luck. I read up on it & though it is on the less likely column - there are other parrots who developed their cataracts within the 1st 3-6 months. Cataract surgery can be done but it has to be a specific type & there is no guarantee of success. Also, because of the difficulty of the procedure & anesthesia-it seems like they are only recommending it for the large parrots/birds. I will just have to watch her closely & if the worst comes to pass we will take her to an ophthalmologist to have a more in-depth exam done plus see what the recommendations are. My guess tho is that her cataracts won’t be a surgical option because it seems to be in the pupil area only & not the entire lens. Also she’s going to be small even for a CAG so I think her size will also be a negative factor. Time will tell. At this point we will continue to take it one day at a time. Sif has already adapted to just one eye. Hopefully, if it comes down to it, it won’t take long to adapt to losing vision in the other eye as well. :)

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I would take her to an Opthamolgist sooner rather than later. It is possible she as an infection inside the eye. Early treatment (eye drops etc may slow the progress ).

Kodigirl210

@zoo mom – I trust Dr. Jenkins implicitly. He stated that the one known blind eye has no infection, no irritation, no blown vessels, no swelling- just the occlusion - in other words the eye itself is in perfect condition & there was no need to see an ophthalmologist or medication as there is nothing to be treated. When Dr. Jenkins inspected the “good eye” a week ago, there was nothing wrong with it. Sif has had all of her tests & bloodwork come back as well which simply backs up no infections or diseases. I’m waiting to see if the other eye is truly manifesting or if I’m just jumping to conclusions.

If it does becomes as visibly occluded as the blind eye, then I will make a decision on what to do. After all the reading & research I’ve done, if the other eye occluded this young then it is genetic which means there is nothing that can be done other than surgery which doesn’t sound viable for her. Sif is clever & a healthy bird and could easily live with one eye or even blind & still have a happy, fulfilled life.

In the end that is all I want for Sif, is a happy life! I knew when I took her on that she would be a special needs fid. I just didn’t realize how special. It doesn’t change how I feel about her & I will continue to do what’s best for Sif :)

Kodigirl210

Well I am happy to report that at 17weeks old now, Sif has begun refusing formula in the morning. The evening feeding is still on but the volume has dropped tremendously. Usually only about a syringe full. She’s maintaining at about 407g at night and 387g during the day. Mornings are for snuggling now! BC6E373D-6F37-4FA9-ABD1-F699609A2768.jpeg

Kodigirl210

@Sylvester - Sif’s right eye is completely blind now. She doesn’t even see shadows. The left seems to be doing okay but I don’t think I will call it good until she hits 27weeks without changes to it. Thank you :)

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
@Sylvester - Sif’s right eye is completely blind now. She doesn’t even see shadows. The left seems to be doing okay but I don’t think I will call it good until she hits 27weeks without changes to it. Thank you :)
This is so sad, I hope it doesn't get any worse that it it is now for both of you.

Kodigirl210

@BertAllen - it’s all a matter of perspective. I could have returned Sif to the breeder & got another CAG from them or someone else. Not throwing up ego or anything but I feel in my heart that I’m the right person Sif. I really don’t care if she’s half-blind or becomes fully blind. I didn’t care when I knew she’d never have normal feet. I touched that fuzzy little head at 4weeks old and I knew then no matter what she would come home with me one day.

That day came & yes she had to have a toe partially amputated at the vet & yes she had to go back to have the eye examined & yes she will probably have to go back into have the other examined. It doesn’t matter to me.

There are no CAG races for her to run & there’s no competition other than life one day at a time. Sif is a happy, loving, birb. She spent an hour in my arms getting her head scritched and dozing while I watched tv. As far as I’m concerned as long she is able to get around enough to eat & drink, that is all she needs to be able to do. If I have to, I will do the rest for her.

Had I returned her to the breeder her life would have been miserable confinement to a cage probably producing babies, until she was worn out & then death. I could never sentence anyone or anything to that type of hell.

Her life now, is most of the day on her large perch, playing with her hoomans and sleep in her tent. The cage is only for times when no one is home and that is rare. It may not be the perfect life & I know I’m not a perfect person but in the end, our broken pieces mix to make a whole. Maybe that’s the best that anyone can hope for is to be happy in the moment & together with others that make you complete.

So don’t feel too sad. I realize it’s kind of a long answer but I think it’s important. I feel there are probably a lot of birds that wouldn’t mind being in Sif’s position at all & there are others out there like me who don’t see a special needs fid – just a special birb lol <3

Last edited:

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
@BertAllen - it’s all a matter of perspective. I could have returned Sif to the breeder & got another CAG from them or someone else. Not throwing up ego or anything but I feel in my heart that I’m the right person Sif. I really don’t care if she’s half-blind or becomes fully blind. I didn’t care when I knew she’d never have normal feet. I touched that fuzzy little head at 4weeks old and I knew then no matter what she would come home with me one day.

That day came & yes she had to have a toe partially amputated at the vet & yes she had to go back to have the eye examined & yes she will probably have to go back into have the other examined. It doesn’t matter to me.

There are no CAG races for her to run & there’s no competition other than life one day at a time. Sif is a happy, loving, birb. She spent an hour in my arms getting her head scritched and dozing while I watched tv. As far as I’m concerned as long she is able to get around enough to eat & drink, that is all she needs to be able to do. If I have to, I will do the rest for her.

Had I returned her to the breeder her life would have been miserable confinement to a cage probably producing babies, until she was worn out & then death. I could never sentence anyone or anything to that type of HE double hockey sticks.

Her life now, is most of the day on her large perch, playing with her hoomans and sleep in her tent. The cage is only for times when no one is home and that is rare. It may not be the perfect life & I know I’m not a perfect person but in the end, our broken pieces mix to make a whole. Maybe that’s the best that anyone can hope for is to be happy in the moment & together with others that make you complete.

So don’t feel too sad. I realize it’s kind of a long answer but I think it’s important. I feel there are probably a lot of birds that wouldn’t mind being in Sif’s position at all & there are others out there like me who don’t see a special needs fid – just a special birb lol <3
:sad7: Well said my dear . Making me cry!! Lol

Kodigirl210

@KatelynDeanne - I hate the soapbox. I think it’s important for people to know that the fur-&-feather kids don’t know they are handicapped. Only people put the label on lol. I know, I absolutely know there are a lot of people who would have given Sif back in a heartbeat. It’s just that those of us who wouldn’t know their babies aren’t handicapped either-they just need a little more time and attention :cool::highfive::coffeescreen::dance5:

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Well if it was me I would be doing exactly the same as you are. I had a cat 40 years ago that got attacked by a dog and became totally blind. He became a wonderful house cat for another 12 or so years.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
We take our fids to Dr. Jenkins, too. Sif is in great hands!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Wow, I can't believe that she is going blind at such a young age. I am so glad she found you, she will be loved and taken good care of.