• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Parakeet

AlaskaZ

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all! This is my first time using this forum, so please let me know if I am doing this wrong!! I am the father of a roughly 7 year old parakeet.

A couple weeks ago, I got back from a month long trip and my parakeet was having some symptoms that worried me. We only have one avian vet in my town, but I managed to get him in for an appointment. Him throwing up a rather large amount of white liquid was my main concern. He is not hand trained, so the vet only did a visual exam as to not cause him any stress. She said a crop infection could be possible, but told me she thought stress from my leaving and returning was most likely the issue. She told me that he seemed very anxious at the vet, and that bringing him there alone could kill him. I was told to keep an eye on his symptoms, and consider returning if anything progressed.

In the following two weeks there was massive improvement. Worrying symptoms stopped, he was happy, talkative, eating and drinking normally, sleeping well, looked healthy. No more throw up, normal droppings. And then there was a sudden change. He sleeps a lot of the day, is less responsive to stimulus. He’ll have occasional moments of energy, tweeting and engaging with his humans, but will go back to tucking his head into his wing. His feathers look more ruffled and his breathing looks less calm. He is still eating, but drinking less. He will occasionally preen excessively, it doesn’t seem like full on plucking (which I have experienced in former pet birds) but he over preens. He still poops regularly, and poop is mostly normal but is occasionally green in a way that id usually only see after he ate green foods.

I want to get him help, but I’m also worried that the process of getting him help would be traumatic enough to kill him. I’m seeing some stuff that says it’s better to just keep him comfortable until he passes on his own. Id love to know what kinds of tests or treatments my little guy would get, based on these symptoms, if I took him to the vet. I want to make the best and most informed choices for my little guy, because he is my pride and joy. In the six years I’ve owned him this is the first time he’s shown any of these symptoms, and its so worrying.

Open to any suggestions, thoughts on what could be wrong, etc

Thanks so much!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
bump

~Drini~

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Drini
I am sorry to hear about your baby. What a tough situation to be in and what a difficult choice to have to make. More data is definitely needed to figure out what is wrong. If the vet cannot figure it out, nobody else can either. Some birds can pluck (or excessively preen) due to internal pain or discomfort.

If this were my bird, these are the three options I would explore:
  • Have the vet prescribe your budgie a sedative. Then attempt a vet visit + handling.
  • Some data can be collected without having to take your bird to the vet. Sending your vet a fecal smear or cloaca swab collected from home might reveal some clues (ex: bacteria showing up in the poop).
  • See if your vet can make a home visit to collect samples (he might be less stressed in your home although a stranger is there)

Not a vet, but these things are things you could expect from a vet visit:
  • Bloodwork: Complete cell count (CBC) + chemistry
  • Imaging (ex: ultrasound)
  • Crop swab
  • Fecal stain

In the meantime, I would highly recommend setting up a home environment that can aid in his healing and maybe give more time to figure out a solution:
  • Providing supplemental heat in the form of a heat panel (perhaps the most important, as it will allow him to spend less energy on keeping his body temp up)
  • Providing a quiet, dark environment