• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick parakeet?

Eden4400

Checking out the neighborhood
we are new to birds so I apologize if this is obvious. We have two parakeets that we got 9 months ago for my daughter. She cares for them very well and they’re happy and playful birds but one of them is worrying us. Her feathers become immediately saturated when she is in the water and her posture does not look right. She sometimes seems to shake or quiver and closes her eyes a lot more than the other parakeet. She also seems lethargic. She is still eating and drinking but I’m wondering if she is missing something in her nutrition or if she is sick?? Trying to avoid another vet bill as we just unexpectedly spent a ridiculous amount on two dogs last week. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
The best thing you can do is take her to a local avian vet - and quickly if she looks that rough. I understand you're not keen on vet bills but a vet is the only one who can accurately tell you what's going on, and possibly save the little bird's life. When these guys show sickness, it's not a good sign.
Welcome to AA, sorry it's starting on a sick birdie, I hope she gets better soon.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Like Steph said, get to an Avian vet first thing in the morning. Animals in the wild try not to show pain or illness cuz it will make them a target for predators. Our babies are basically the same way. That's why we need to monitor them so closely.

Eden4400

Thanks for the advice! I’ll find one today. The vet we take our dogs to doesn’t do birds but I’m sure there is one nearby. She is actually looking a little better today with the addition of some higher quality vitamins and minerals but I don’t want to take a chance.

Eden4400

Yes! I finally found an avian vet (45 minutes away!) and my daughter and I took her in. He said it was an upper respiratory infection and gave her an antibiotic and also an anti inflammatory because she has a very weird stance that made him think she has some discomfort somewhere in her hips or joints. He had not seen a budgie stand like she does. She will put her right leg way out behind her and lean as far forward as she can without falling off her perch. It looks very strange. But she seems to be feeling better and was a little more vocal yesterday and even was even messsing around with one of the toys in the cage. Thanks for the advice and checking on her!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
I’m so glad she’s doing better and that she got the help she needs! :) Thanks for the update.