• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick or Content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I've been slightly worried about Beau. Last night, I saw him kind of fluffed up, sleeping. And this morning he's acting similarly off and on. He's still eating, drinking, vocalizing and active. I don't know if I should worry, or if he's just more relaxed with me now. There is no tail bob, just a slight fluff. He's also been grinding his beak every once in a while.

Attachments

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
My budgies are on and off with the fluffy stance. It worried me for awhile too, but they just decide on the weirdest times for mini naps, and they seem to do it more often than the bigger guys. Then they jump up and start playing again. Every single one of them does it, and they're all fine :)

Just watch the eating, drinking, and pooping habits. If they're all fine, he's probably just a napper. Also, I've noticed a difference between the sick fluff and the content fluff....the sick fluff usually has the budgie lower to the perch in more of a "sitting" position with their bottom resting on the perch, if that makes sense. The content fluff is just a poofy budgie in the normal standing position.

Last edited:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Well, the pooping is another thing. Ever since I got him, he squeeks when he poops, and stretches. I told my vet and she thought it was just a strange quirk he has, but that also worries me.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Are the droppings Normal? Could he be cold? The beak grinding is usually a good sign,but Like has been said-Keep an eye on him for any other "red flags"that he might be starting to get sick! Keep Us posted!

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
The poop is normal, and he doesn't seem to be stuggling to go, he's just always squeeked. I'll try to get a vid of it. He might be cold. It's not that bad though, it's probably around 70 degrees. :confused: I'll watch for other signs.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Is he sleeping well at night or is there more noise/ light/ activity around him than usual when he's supposed to be asleep?

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
They are sleeping in the bathroom (where I'm quarantining). I wake them up whenever I go to use the bathroom at night, but I try to get in and out quickly before I disturb them too much.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
He now has this organish/brown stuff on his face. I'm not sure it is from eating fresh food, or if he's vomiting. I don't see any vomit.

Attachments

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
That could be from the food he is eating...are you finding anything on the bars of the cage or perch where he could have wiped it off?:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Can you hold him up to your ear and listen to him while he breaths?

Does he squeek everytime he poos?

Ginger

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Here's a vid. He seems pretty normal, but maybe a little off. The stuff on his face is more yellow/orange in the video, and I honestly didn't even see it in person.

Last edited:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Can you hold him up to your ear and listen to him while he breaths?

Does he squeek everytime he poos?

Ginger
Yes, he does. And every time he stretches too.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
That could be from the food he is eating...are you finding anything on the bars of the cage or perch where he could have wiped it off?:hug8:
I'll go investigate.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Here's a vid. He seems pretty normal, but maybe a little off. The stuff on his face is more yellow/orange in the video, and I honestly didn't even see it in person.
I can't see the video....:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Does it sound like a pain squeek?

Ginger

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I still can't see anything on his face with the naked eye. Maybe a slight yellow tinge. I just took a shower and he made his normal vocalizations when the shower was running. It also felt more cold in there than usual when I came out, so I turned up the heat. I also turned off the light so they can take a better nap if they are still tired.
Does it sound like a pain squeek?

Ginger
I am not sure, he doesn't look like he's in pain. My friend's macaws squeak when they poop and stretch too, so maybe it's just something they've learned, or maybe it is uncomfortable? I don't know. My vet didn't seem concerned.
Edit to say: I didn't see any signs of vomit anywhere in the enclosure, (on perches, bars, etc.) I did see some fresh food wiped on the bowl though, so I'm hoping the color is from fresh food. He did get some carrots and cooked squash today.
And his breathing is fine when I hold him up to my ear.

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Think you would have seen the thrown vomit on the bars/perches...so don't think he is doing that and YES/carrots/squash will tint the feathers like that!
You should see my cutting board after I cut them up!!!!!:rofl::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.