• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick Kitten Help?

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
I wasn't sure where to go for help with this so I came here. About 5 weeks ago now my cat Mabel gave birth to three kittens, two girls and a boy. The boy, who we have named Max has suddenly become ill but we're unsure why. He will drink (from his mother), but he's very lethargic, he's sleeping constantly but sometimes he'll sit up. He was playing a bit before but not much at all. He has also been vomiting what looks like his mothers milk but more lumpy, almost like curdled milk. Within the last 24 hours or so (from around 6 pm last night to 4:30 pm today) he has vomited about 4 times, usually after he has had his mothers milk. His sisters are fine, playing and running and all that, it's only Max.

I know I should take him to a vet but for the moment I can't. I've read everywhere that it could be anything from just an upset tummy to an infection, but I don't know what it is. His only symptoms are lethargy and vomiting. I'm hoping his tummy is just a little sad at the moment.

Help? Thank you :(

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is Max only using one teat to drink from? I ask because I have seen in the past nursing animals who got an infection in one teat and that caused the milk to be no good in that teat which in turn made the baby ill. The mother needed antibiotics and they taped the teat up so the young ones could not drink from that one. I am not saying this is the cause but it is worth thinking about.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Is Max only using one teat to drink from? I ask because I have seen in the past nursing animals who got an infection in one teat and that caused the milk to be no good in that teat which in turn made the baby ill. The mother needed antibiotics and they taped the teat up so the young ones could not drink from that one. I am not saying this is the cause but it is worth thinking about.
I'm honestly not sure, I don't think so. It doesn't really help that my father refuses to take him to the vet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I know I should take him to a vet but for the moment I can't

Kittens need their nourishment. There are no short cuts, you need to take this kitten to the vet ASAP to avoid dehydration and potential illness of the other kittens. Please also have your female cat spayed.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Kittens need their nourishment. There are no short cuts, you need to take this kitten to the vet ASAP to avoid dehydration and potential illness of the other kittens. Please also have your female cat spayed.
I told my father last night he needs to go, he yelled at me about the cost and how we don't have the money. Max seems to be the same today but he hasn't thrown up yet, so I told my father again. Once again I was yelled at but in his rage he told me he would take him later, so hopefully he does

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Do you know your vet well enough that he/she can give you some antibiotics without having to see Max?

Can you try to feed him with a syringe? You can get kitten/puppy formula from any pet store.

If you feel as though you just can't afford anything then maybe you could surrender Max to a veterinarian who could nurse him through his illness.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Okay, change of tactics here. i just read the thread a little bit more closely and realized that Max is at least five weeks old. You can start switching him to solid food and milk in a saucer by now. Make sure the milk is nice and warm, and then gently press his face downward, until his nose touches the milk.

If he refuses kitten food, then try a can of tuna packed in water. At this point you just want to make sure he eats something.

Is this as good as his mother's milk? No. She has antibiotics in her milk that help keep illnesses away from her kittens.

He could very well have developed an intolerance or allergy to his mother's milk, or something more serious could be going on. Only a vet can tell you. But at least by doing what I suggested above you can keep him nourished and hydrated.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I told my father last night he needs to go, he yelled at me about the cost and how we don't have the money. Max seems to be the same today but he hasn't thrown up yet, so I told my father again. Once again I was yelled at but in his rage he told me he would take him later, so hopefully he does
Go to the Pet store and buy a can or powdered milk replacement. KMR is the brand- offer this. Sounds as if he's intolerant to the milk. This is what I would try. And lastly, next time your Dad wants to yell at you, YELL BACK and tell him to have the cat SPAYED. Problem solved, no more babies.

Or seek an alternate state/county/municipal/shelter for low cost spay and neutering.

Hope this baby is going to be okay!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Hope this baby is going to be okay![/QUOTE]

Likewise, LMZ, I am saying a little prayer now.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Also, Ilse, you can take a syringe and just try to get some water down his throat. He is must likely lethargic because he dehydrated. And he is dehydrated because he has been throwing up. A little water goes a long way.

Please keep us posted.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
Thank you all very much. Sylvester, I'll try to do what you said. I just went in to him and gently pushed his head down towards the water. He had a few licks and then refused. But apparently he has had milk with his sisters twice today and hasn't thrown up (as of yet.)

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
An update for you all! I just got home from buying some more kitten food and some tuna (we didn't have any tuna in our house that wasn't packed in oil or something like that.) Max was sleeping when i got home but I put some wet kitten food in a dish for him and he began to sniff and lick it. He is eating now, which I'm happy about. I was also able to get him to drink the smallest bit of water but that's better than nothing. :)

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I have no advice on how to help your little one, but will be hoping for a good ending.

I agree that you should spay your cat after this. Also, it would be a very good idea to start making a vet fund after this. I remember a few months ago that your little Lovebird was involved in an accident with a cat, and you were also unable to take your bird to the vet then. By having an emergency vet fund, you can be more prepared for if/when something else happens.

Ilse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Em
I have no advice on how to help your little one, but will be hoping for a good ending.

I agree that you should spay your cat after this. Also, it would be a very good idea to start making a vet fund after this. I remember a few months ago that your little Lovebird was involved in an accident with a cat, and you were also unable to take your bird to the vet then. By having an emergency vet fund, you can be more prepared for if/when something else happens.
I remember that incident all too well. We did end up taking her to a vet and getting an antibiotic for her (not sure if you saw) and she's great now, though I think she has a little scar?

Anyway I have another update. Mabel wanted to get into the room with the kittens about 5 minutes ago but my sister wasn't letting her in (probably couldn't hear her) so I did it myself. As soon as I opened the door all three kittens (ALL of them, which includes Max!) bolted out to snoop around the kitchen. Max looked like his normal bouncy self! He leaped all through the kitchen, it was lovely to see. He played with his sisters too, so I think he may have just had an upset tummy but I'm still not sure what it was.

I think he may have had a hairball but couldn't throw it up and trying to throw it up so often made him dehydrated and tired. I'm hoping that's all it was, but I'm glad he's feeling better!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kittens usually do not have hair balls yet. As wisely suggested when you have animals in your care it is your and your parents responsibility to see to it that they have proper medical care. Please show your parents this thread.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes, good to hear he's eating alittle. The kitten milk is very good! See if you can get a can it's pre mixed. Mix it in with dry kitten food to make a mush.

Please spay that Momma cat. And the babies if you keep them. Too many unwanted cats in this world. ;)

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I remember that incident all too well. We did end up taking her to a vet and getting an antibiotic for her (not sure if you saw) and she's great now, though I think she has a little scar?

Anyway I have another update. Mabel wanted to get into the room with the kittens about 5 minutes ago but my sister wasn't letting her in (probably couldn't hear her) so I did it myself. As soon as I opened the door all three kittens (ALL of them, which includes Max!) bolted out to snoop around the kitchen. Max looked like his normal bouncy self! He leaped all through the kitchen, it was lovely to see. He played with his sisters too, so I think he may have just had an upset tummy but I'm still not sure what it was.

I think he may have had a hairball but couldn't throw it up and trying to throw it up so often made him dehydrated and tired. I'm hoping that's all it was, but I'm glad he's feeling better!
I agree with LJ, kittens don't have hairballs. I am glad to hear that he is making progress, just please make sure he keeps eating and drinking. Try mixing in more water with the milk. Thank you for keeping us updated.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera

I know you did, I was very happy to hear that your Lovie got the care she needed. :) I'm just saying that it's probably a good idea to create your own vet fund that way next time if/when something happens you don't have to fight with your parents over taking your pets to the vet. I can tell you truly care about your pets based off the way you try to convince your parents to have them taken to the vet. But maybe if you create an emergency vet fund by yourself your parents would be more likely to take the pets to the vet sooner.

Glad to hear your kitty is doing better. Please continue to keep an eye on him.