• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Eleonora Cockatoo- long

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vomiting should not cause the kind of acid irritation that we get. Remember that birds are made to regurgitate. If there's crop inflammation, it's probably the cause of the vomiting rather than the result.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Why would the vet not want you to start the baytril and nystatin treatment right away? Nystatin will kill any yeast in the crop, rather quickly and Baytril will begin to kill any bacterial issues, the thing with baytril is that it may cause loss of appetite, and possible vomiting if taken on an empty crop..best to give the baytril first, then a little tube feeding after, or at least water the baytril down so shes not nauseous, if shes not eating, you will have to intervene with tube feeding, if your experienced, or at least spoon feeding baby formula ...hydration is most important for the first 48 hours,,hope shes gonna be ok.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hope she will be ok and feel better soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is she doing today?

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
The vet called this afternoon and said that her chem panel results are all good. The fecal and a CBC aren't back yet though. I started the meds this morning, on my own, but as she vomits frequently, it didn't go very well. She's calling the local pharmacy to order some reglan, so I'm hoping that will really help. The pepto and the ginger water may have some small effect, but it's not as effective as I'd hoped. (And she really hates the pepto!!) The vet agrees about starting the meds and seeing how it goes, and says the next step is a crop flush. The fact that her crop never fully empties has been really bothering me, so today I've been massaging it frequently. Maybe I can break it up and help it work out. And increased blood flow is always a good thing. She'll drink well for me if we get in the shower together, so... I don't actually shower, but I do stand in there with her, with the hot water on, giving her drinks off my hand. It does seem to be taking her longer to vomit after eating today, so I'm hoping that's a positive sign. She had some oatmeal today, and then later a largish portion of scrambled eggs. She's rejecting her normal foods, so I'm giving her whatever catches her eye. When she starts to vomit, I can head some of that off with some distraction some times, so we've been spending A LOT of time together. The rest of the time she spends sleeping. Thanks for all the suggestions - it's been really helpful. And now I'm off for my next nursing stint.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I've never tube fed a bird, but I have with baby alpacas (crias). I'm hoping to continue being able to entice her with some sort of food. Keep your fingers crossed.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Reglan should help a lot. If she can't even keep meds down, see if the vet will show you or give instructions on how to inject it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that she is showing some improvement and eating a little on her own.

Depending on the results of the remaining lab tests you may want to have the vet test for aspergillus as well as bornavirus (although do get false negatives and positives with this). The reglan should help. I'm assuming it's oral reglan.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Alright, a crop flush is very in invasive,,, you can give her Applesauce , about a teaspoon with 3 or 4 drops of Braggs apple cider vinegar in it, this is a natural way to clean an impacted crop , plus massage the crop as you are doing.. you'll need to pull the Applesauce concoction into a syringe and give it to her that way..you'll need to do this twice a day for at least two or three days till the crop feels normal. When you smell her breath, does it smell sour? That's a definate sign of crop impaction..the nystatin treatment will help with that also. Just give her whatever she will eat, yeast free food are best right now.. :hug8:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
The vet has very poor follow through, and failed to contact the pharmacist with the dosing information. Despite 4 calls today, starting at 8 am. Very disappointing, and I won't be using her again...

But - this is really important - what is the dosing information for reglan? I'm hoping one of you can help with this. I'm friends with the pharmacist, and she's going to get me the reglan, but she doesn't have dosing information. Her vet manual only lists dosing for dogs, cat, horses, etc. She has reglan in 5 and 10 mg pills, and my husband has a metric scale that will measure down to .10 gram, and possibly .01 gram. We could crush these and weigh out an appropriate dose, I'm going to look on-line for dosing info., but I'm thinking you guys will be a better resource!! I don't know how she can make it through the weekend with the vomiting as it is...