• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Eleonora Cockatoo- long

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Yesterday evening I noticed that my sulpher crested cockatoo, Beaker, hadn't eaten any food during the day. When I first fed her in the morning, I did notice that she'd eaten the food I'd left in her cage overnight, so I didn't have any cause for concern until yesterday evening. At that point I offered her several of her favorites, and she had no interest - which is really unusual. She even ignored a piece of cheese, which she loves. I finally enticed her to eat some graham cracker, but within 5-10 minutes she vomited it back up. It didn't have a smell, other than graham cracker. The same happened again this morning, so we rushed her off to a vet who has avian experience. She examined her and said that she looks very good, clear lungs, nice feathers, in good body condition... She advised that we start with a chem panel and a fecal; results will possibly be in tomorrow afternoon, but possibly not until Monday. She gave her subcutaneous fluids, and sent me home with baytril, nystatin, and benebac, but advised me not to use them until I either hear from her, or unless Beaker gets much sicker. I don't really know how to define "much sicker" though - she already is vomiting and has little interest in food or drink. I've had Beaker for 28 years, she eats a pretty healthy diet - veggies, TOPS and Golden Obles, has lived in the same cage the entire time I've had her, and hasn't been exposed to any other birds or animals. I'm hoping someone hear can advise me about what else I should ask for, or do. What other tests should I ask for? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Doesn't sound familiar, but it does sound as if your girl is pretty sick. Is she vomiting or regurgitating that would make a differee. Have you tried giving her about 1/2 ml of Pepto Bismol? My vet had me give Hank Pepto Bismol when he would get terribly nauseous from his meds. It almost always settled his tummy.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Vomiting is usually accompanied by violent head swings and the vomitus thrown in every direction and can signal a sick bird. Are you sure she is not regurgitating for you?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry to her your sweet girl is sick. I have no advice, but I hope the test results come back tomorrow, and whatever it is, that it’s easily curable!
:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry Beaker is ill. If she is not eating you may have to hand feed her but she may vomit the food. You need to make sure she stays hydrated. You may also need to start the medication if you haven't already done that and she may need a medication such as reglan to stop the vomiting. Contact the vet to update her and see if she wants you to start the medications.
I hope that Beaker will be OK.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
It's not violent vomiting, it looks more like regurgitation, but it definitely isn't hormonal regurgitation. She hangs her head forward and lets it all run out after she's worked it up. She has no fecal matter in her poops, just the urates and some liver bile. I haven't tried pepto - I've never considered it. I doubt I could reach the vet in time to run this by her... Beaker normally weighs 450 grams - is 1/2 a mil an appropriate dose? I do think she feels nauseous, based on her behavior.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I checked with my vet on the pepto, she said not to, it has aspirin in it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If she weighs 450gm then she should take about 1/4 ml. I have used the PB several times and I have complete faith in my vet (avian) whom I've been with for 18 years. When I have it I use Metaclopramide (Reglan), but for short term PBwill do the job and not harm you bird.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used Emetrol (alcohol-free version) with my bird who has chronic GI problems. I'm not sure what the dose would be, though.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I'll pick up some pepto on the way home - thanks for checking. I've been combing the internet looking for possible dx - could this be zinc poisoning? I don't see how it could be, but lack of appetite and vomiting are symptoms. She doesn't have "voluminous green stools" - at least not yet. I didn't discuss it with the vet, but maybe I should tomorrow? It sounds like zinc poisoning is very common and often over looked?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
If she is vomiting and not eating you should be watching her weight.
Vets usually consider it has gotten very serious if they lose 10% of their normal weight.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Did the vet check the crop for any sort of impaction?

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Infection is far more likely than poisoning. I'd want a gram stain and/or culture of the vomit, if she has no fecal matter.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Could be any number of things. Try to contact the vet before using the Pepto Bismol. Did you start her on the medications recommended by the vet since the vet stated if she got worse start medicating her? I used to put some fresh ginger in hot water and let it steep and then remove the ginger and give that water to one of my birds who was very ill and was vomiting. This was recommended by a vet. You can also mix that with other water to dilute it more as needed.
Sometimes a sick bird might eat something that he/she hasn't eaten in the past so even try foods that she doesn't normally eat.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I'll pick up some pepto on the way home - thanks for checking. I've been combing the internet looking for possible dx - could this be zinc poisoning? I don't see how it could be, but lack of appetite and vomiting are symptoms. She doesn't have "voluminous green stools" - at least not yet. I didn't discuss it with the vet, but maybe I should tomorrow? It sounds like zinc poisoning is very common and often over looked?

Why don't you wait to hear from your vet and get some anti-vomiting medication from her? And yes, she needs to stay hydrated.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I weigh them regularly. We discussed crop stasis, but she didn't want to start any drugs for motility yet. Her crop feels "mainly" empty. I say mainly because there is a very slight, soft feel to it, not entirely empty as you'd expect. I mentioned this, and she said there can be inflammation in the crop when there has been vomiting. We didn't specifically discuss an impaction, though I did wonder if there could be an impaction below the level of the crop, and not be palpable.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Thanks for your help. I'm using a computer at school right now (I'm one of those few who don't have internet at home), and am going to go to the store and head home. I'll check in with the vet tomorrow to ask more questions, and will let you know how things go. Keep her in your thoughts. She's never been sick, but this looks very serious to me, and I'm afraid I could easily lose her...

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thanks for your help. I'm using a computer at school right now (I'm one of those few who don't have internet at home), and am going to go to the store and head home. I'll check in with the vet tomorrow to ask more questions, and will let you know how things go. Keep her in your thoughts. She's never been sick, but this looks very serious to me, and I'm afraid I could easily lose her...

Please let us know. And see if she will drink from a cup of water if you hold it up to her. The main thing is keeping her hydrated.