• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent sick eleonora cockatoo - dosage information question

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I posted the other day about my cockatoo, Beaker. She's been vomiting consistently for 3 days at this point. She's been to a vet, who was supposed to contact my pharmacist with dosing information for reglan/metoclopramide, but failed to do so, and now her office is closed. I'm friends with the pharmacist and can get the medication, but I'm not sure about the dosing for parrots. We have a gram scale that weighs to .01 grams. Can anyone help with this? I've found dosing information for pigeons...

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I've found similar information as well, but I can't find a reliable dosage. If she were a pigeon I'd give her .288 grams/3x day.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My 100g tiel gets .05ml twice a day. I don't know the concentration though, unfortunately.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Big Scooter weighs 325 grams

image.jpg

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@saroj12 does yours have the concentration on it? I don't have any right now or I'd look.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't remember what I used to give one of my red-bellies. I wish I could remember but haven't given this recently.
Is the vet office opened tomorrow? The amount to give depends on the bird's weight and also the dilution/concentration of the medication.
I have copies of that red-bellied parrot's records and if I can find the records and that info in there I will let you know.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think if we can figure out a concentration and dosage range (mg med/kg weight), then the pharmacist should be able to calculate the rest. What we're missing right now is a concentration.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Looking at the drug page above, the concentration is 1mg/ml. That means Beaker needs 1.3 mg - which is a very tiny amount. I can crush 1 5mg tablet, add it to 5 g of sugar, dissolve this in 5 ml of water, shake it well, and immediately dose 1.3 ml. Sound right?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you email the vet's office? Sometimes someone will reply to that even if the office is closed because they still check the email.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@saroj12 does yours have the concentration on it? I don't have any right now or I'd look.
no it doesn't, sorry. Says give 30 mins prior to feeding. I can call the clinic tomorrow morning and get the concentration.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Try a Google search reglan formulary for a bird. There is alot PDF's that I can't download

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looking at the drug page above, the concentration is 1mg/ml. That means Beaker needs 1.3 mg - which is a very tiny amount. I can crush 1 5mg tablet, add it to 5 g of sugar, dissolve this in 5 ml of water, shake it well, and immediately dose 1.3 ml. Sound right?
No I wouldn't do that if I were you. Wait for someone to give you the correct information. I believe the dosage .05 ml per 100 gms of body weight as per some info I found by Scott McDonald but that is for Reglan syrup. The concentration of the syrup is 1mg/ml. Not sure how they compound the tablet. Best that you get everything 100% correct before medicating Beaker.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
No I wouldn't do that if I were you. Wait for someone to give you the correct information. I believe the dosage .05 ml per 100 gms of body weight as per some info I found by Scott McDonald but that is for Reglan syrup. The concentration of the syrup is 1mg/ml. Not sure how they compound the tablet. Best that you get everything 100% correct before medicating Beaker.
Yeah, that's a MUCH bigger dose by volume than I'd expect.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I don't have the time for the math, or the brain either
I give a 300g bird 0.15 cc twice daily (says every 8-12 hrs). wait 1 hr before giving other meds.
it is metoclopramide syrup 1 mg/ml solution

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
No - I'm wrong. She needs .13 mg...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No - I'm wrong. She needs .13 mg...
You need to think in terms of the dilution and then the dosage is in ml. You need to know how to dilute the tablet for compounding. For example, two of my birds get allopurinol. I crush a 100mg tablet into 10 ml of water and then dose them as per the vet's prescription. The dosage is measured. mg and ml are not equivalent.

It would be difficult to compound the reglan without knowing how much liquid to add and you want to be 100% sure of the dosage.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Can you call a ER vet service, I would NOT try to figure out the compound yourself too dangerous.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've not heard of this medication, call an ER vet.. :hug8:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month