• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick conure

Zenonas

Moving in
Real Name
Zenonas Alexandrou
Hi everyone, we need your help!

Our little buddy, Dali, has been sick for a couple of days. We woke up on Sunday morning to find him a bit lethargic, had lost his voice (he sounded basically like a broken plush toy) but the scariest was to watch him vomit. As soon as he drunk water he would vomit. We tried to find an avian vet but since we live in a small island this option is not available. We took him to the guy from whom we bought him and fortunately even though he is not a vet he has a lot of experience with birds and gave us medicine to put in his water, and some vitamins. The thing is that he drinks water but after a while he vomits. So, we are not sure if he is getting what he needs. He hasn't lost his appetite, and still can fly, and we monitor his weigh but we don't know what else to make him better and can't stand watching him like this! Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry your bird is sick. Do you know what kind of medicine he gave you? Often vomiting is a sign of an infection that needs to be treated with antibiotics.

@Hankmacaw ? @Birdbabe ?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I tried googling aviomycin. It seems like it's a supplement that is used for birds with respiratory issues? Or is it an antibiotic? It wasn't clear when I googled it. Is there any way to do an on-line vet consult where you are? If it's an infection, he probably needs antibiotics. How is he doing today?

@Mizzely ? @webchirp ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So the issue is that many symptoms are shared by many illnesses, so even the most experienced person is just guessing unless they are able to do cultures, etc to find out exactly what you're up against. Is there any animal doctor in your area? Perhaps they can confer with a doctor who is more experienced with birds to help diagnose what is going on.

Otherwise you'll have to keep trying different things until you stumble upon the answer, and hope you aren't too late.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Not sure about the meds but vomiting in past experience may point to liver. Dr Orosz will consult. Please try to contact them:

E889BD0A-E204-49C8-B427-6CA46FA2DDBB.png

Zenonas

Moving in
Real Name
Zenonas Alexandrou
It doesn't say it's an antibiotic but it says it's a solution for respiratory and intestinal infections. You either add a few drops in the water or if he is not drinking to give them directly. We were advised to take his water out for an hour or so while he is eating so that he can digest a bit of his food before drinking water and then vomiting since that is the main issue! It seems to be working I think.. He hasn't lost his appetite, and we try to provide him with whatever he likes! Today he hasn't vomited as much as yesterday! He lost a few grams but not any of his feathers! Thank you for the contact info we will of course contact them and hopefully they can help us online!

We appreciate all of your help!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your bird is ill. You can search for a vet here:
Vets listed there may or may not be avian certified but generally have a lot of experience treating birds.
It's good he is not vomiting as much. If you can find a vet or consult with one online that would be the best thing.
Hope all will be well.

Zenonas

Moving in
Real Name
Zenonas Alexandrou
So the issue is that many symptoms are shared by many illnesses, so even the most experienced person is just guessing unless they are able to do cultures, etc to find out exactly what you're up against. Is there any animal doctor in your area? Perhaps they can confer with a doctor who is more experienced with birds to help diagnose what is going on.

Otherwise you'll have to keep trying different things until you stumble upon the answer, and hope you aren't too late.

I read the article you sent, the symptoms are very similar to issues with the syrinx but in the article doesn't mention vomit. So maybe the vomit has to do with something else?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I read the article you sent, the symptoms are very similar to issues with the syrinx but in the article doesn't mention vomit. So maybe the vomit has to do with something else?
I'm unfortunately not a vet so I couldn't tell you

Zenonas

Moving in
Real Name
Zenonas Alexandrou
Sorry that your bird is ill. You can search for a vet here:
Vets listed there may or may not be avian certified but generally have a lot of experience treating birds.
It's good he is not vomiting as much. If you can find a vet or consult with one online that would be the best thing.
Hope all will be well.
Thank you for your message! I searched the link but No vet found in my country.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for your message! I searched the link but No vet found in my country.
Can you find a vet to do an online consult? There are a lot of "ask a vet" websites. And the Vet webchirp posted will do consults.