• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick cockatiel

kanth

Strolling the yard
My rescue tiel isn't eating well and she's been sleeping all day. I called 3 vets, all closed. I called 2 emergency vets, one wouldn't see her unless she isn't eating at all and one wouldn't see her because I don't know much about her history (she's a rescue). I've had her for around a month, she mutilates, plucks, and barbers. She wears a fleece cone. Friday she had a blood feather, I removed it, had to leave the house, came home half an hour later to 5 more blood feathers. A local breeder helped me take care of it. By the time we got home it was 7:30-8pm and she went right to sleep. She woke up and I gave her breakfast. She did not eat, half an hour later I took her to the shower to clean the dried blood off of her. She ate a couple pellets, was a little inactive but I assumed she was tired and stressed from 6 blood feathers. She ate dinner, 1 or 2 tbs of pellets. This morning she had 1/2 tsp or maybe 1 tsp of pellets. She is not big on seeds, she loves tops pellets so that diet choice is normal for her. She slept for about 2 hours and it is sunday, vets are closed, emergency vets are no help, so I hand fed her. Her favorite tops pellets ground into a powder, formula one, and Pedialyte. She ate 2ml and that was around 2-3 hours ago. I put her back in the cage and she has not moved. She woke up 10 minutes ago, pooped, and is asleep again. She wears a cone like I said, but some of her neck feathers are above the cone. The neck feathers are stiff and discolored, I think its vomit. I called the emergency vets again but I got the same answer. I cant find any other emergency vets. She has not had any bloodwork or tests done. She has an appointment at a vet Saturday the 18th to do that. She has had a checkup but this vet didn't want to run tests because she thinks padmes problems are behavioral. She has malnutrition and vitamin A deficiency. She has always eaten well and has been adjusting well, and is even starting to bond to me.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Where are you in this world of ours? I'm assuming not in the U.S.? Sorry for the 20 questions.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
How are her poops looking? Are they green, white w/a little water and is she pooping alot or very little? From friends who dealt with plucking/barbering/mutilating tiels - they had bought a pair of baby socks and turned them into a tiel "sweater" so their bird couldn't hurt itself. As in but off the toe section and make two slits for your tiels wings. She won't be happy but hopefully it will slow down any self-mutilation.

kanth

Strolling the yard
How are her poops looking? Are they green, white w/a little water and is she pooping alot or very little? From friends who dealt with plucking/barbering/mutilating tiels - they had bought a pair of baby socks and turned them into a tiel "sweater" so their bird couldn't hurt itself. As in but off the toe section and make two slits for your tiels wings. She won't be happy but hopefully it will slow down any self-mutilation.
Her poop is a little watery and a little greenish. Her collar works well for her, she plucks/mutilates/barbers mostly on and near her wings so sweaters wouldn't work for her.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Unfortunately she sounds very sick. Is there a good vet you could go to that’s several hours away? Make sure you keep her very warm and quiet. I hope she will be okay!

kanth

Strolling the yard
Unfortunately she sounds very sick. Is there a good vet you could go to that’s several hours away? Make sure you keep her very warm and quiet. I hope she will be okay!
I called a few more vets that are further away but none saw birds. I left a voicemail with a local avian vet. I have left her alone, except for letting her rest on my shoulder for a short period of time. I've been keeping her in her cage, my other birds are fairly quiet.
Thank you

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry your 'tiel is ill. It's wonderful that a vet is willing to open up her practice to see your bird. Hope things will be OK. Sending positive thoughts!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please update us we love all birds.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Sending good thoughts...I hope she will be OK :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Big sigh of relief. I hope she gets well. What did the vet say?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that she is getting fed and also medicated. Did the vet do any tests or did she feel that Padme was too weak and too stressed to do anything right now?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad you found a vet that was willing to help her. You are wonderful for trying so hard to give her the care she needs. I hope she will be okay!!