• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Sick Caique

Linda Olsen

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
sick caique...hi I am looking for help....cant figure out how to post...my 3yo female caique seems to be getting sick
closing eyes looking weak then perks up when I pick her up...stays ok for a while and then closes eyes and leans...looks tired...but eating and pooping just not as chipper...less vocalizations...any ideas...its sunday or id have her at my avian vet already...any ideas

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

sick caique...hi I am looking for help....cant figure out how to post...my 3yo female caique seems to be getting sick
closing eyes looking weak then perks up when I pick her up...stays ok for a while and then closes eyes and leans...looks tired...but eating and pooping just not as chipper...less vocalizations...any ideas...its sunday or id have her at my avian vet already...any ideas

If your bird appears ill the best thing is to get her to a vet. Do keep her warm by covering the cage on 3 sides and make sure she is not only eating but also drinking. Perhaps you can find a vet office that is opened where the vet has experience with birds even though he/she may not be avian certified. If you let us know your approximate location maybe someone can recommend a vet to you and you can then check if the office is opened today.
I hope your Caique will be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Olsen

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
Thank you for your reply...I did exactly that about 5 mins after I posted. She got car sick on the way which has never happened before and Ive driven her to Florida and back. I found a vet clinic open on Sundays with an Avian vet and drove 1.5 hours to get there only to find out not an avian vet and not set up to take blood work. But they were kind and attentive. Jackie whistled for them and asked for apple acting pretty normal... I explained the sleepy episodes so they took an X-ray to look at her lungs...which were clear thank goodness....I asked for a broad spectrum antibiotic to hold her over until I saw my vet today...which they gave me...and back home we drove...she is acting like herself but will bring her to my vet for blood work today...I knew something was not right with her yesterday the second I saw her close her eyes...I posted to see if anyone else had every seen this sleepy syndrome...but she ate and drank and pooped normally...strange...today she is fine so far...again than you for your reply....could someone PLEASE tell me how to post a new topic...l was in a panic yesterday and just needed to reach out and hear from my avian community but I could not find a way to post I needed help to everyone.....very upsetting!!!!!! so I found someone elses post and posted there...then a moderator moved it here...there should really be a clear simple obvious idiot proof way to post for help...as we are not cool calm and collected when in fear for our feathered ones and seeking help here!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Sorry to hear you had a crisis, Linda.

I have a gang of caiques at home and have been through the panic stages when one of them gets ill

If you need someone to talk or chat to when a birdie crisis strikes please email me at Irishj9.jc@gmail.com

That will go straight to my smartphone

John

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
@Linda Olsen To start a new thread, go to Forums, find the forum (category) you would like to post in, in this case Bird Emergency Highway 911, tap on it to enter the forum, click on Post New Thread at the top. Enter your post and select Create Thread at the bottom of the page.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope your bird is doing better.

Linda Olsen

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
Thanks for the posting info...very helpful DQ...and thanks for the well wishes sunnysmom...she is acting like her old self thank goodness...one dose of broad spectrum antibiotic...will keep a close eye on her though....had my nest cam on her all day...she was quiet just sat and gently played with a few toys...but after getting home and letting her out of her cage she's been flying to me and tearing up my bird shirt as usual ...singing and whistling away...no more nodding off...strange incident...

Linda Olsen

Moving in
Real Name
Linda
Thanks John for the contact info...very nice of you...and i will take you up on your kind offer <3

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi Linda, and welcome. It may be that the antibiotic has helped here. I would keep it up.

My Peaches got sick and the only symptom was that she wasn't eating her favorite foods. She also had hot feet, indicative of a fever. I took here to the vet and she got really stressed because of all the other animals in the waiting area, it was crowded. She actually started throwing up in the office. By the time she was in the exam room she was so exhausted from trying to hide how sick she was she just closed her eyes and almost went limp. Super scary.

By the time we got home she started eating again and after two days of antibiotic her hot feet went away. As soon as we got back from the vet she acted totally normal but I am sure she was sick. I think you did the right thing taking her. I am glad she is feeling better, it is probably from the antibiotic.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Linda, and welcome. It may be that the antibiotic has helped here. I would keep it up.

My Peaches got sick and the only symptom was that she wasn't eating her favorite foods. She also had hot feet, indicative of a fever. I took here to the vet and she got really stressed because of all the other animals in the waiting area, it was crowded. She actually started throwing up in the office. By the time she was in the exam room she was so exhausted from trying to hide how sick she was she just closed her eyes and almost went limp. Super scary.

By the time we got home she started eating again and after two days of antibiotic her hot feet went away. As soon as we got back from the vet she acted totally normal but I am sure she was sick. I think you did the right thing taking her. I am glad she is feeling better, it is probably from the antibiotic.
:eek: Hot feet? On the bottom of the feet???

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
:eek: Hot feet? On the bottom of the feet???
When she stood on my finger her feet felt warmer than they normally do. When they fly around to the point of being tired they feel noticeably warm as well but she had not been flying. It was really strange.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you got her to the vet and that she is doing better. Seems like the antibiotic is helping. Did you get her to your regular vet today?