• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick budgie :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuzanqa

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zuz
Hello everyone, today is the second day that my very first budgie Chit has been at the bird hospital. I´ve had him since February. He is the sweetest and most awkward bird I´ve ever seen. Yesterday morning I noticed him acting strange, sitting very quietly, with his eyes closed, puffed up. Then he threw up a few times. The other two budgies played with toys a little bit but when they saw he was sick they both perched next to him and napped, and the female, Ananda, was preening him constantly. The other male Sat was chirping at him softly. It was very sweet. I´ve heard that birds in the flock can give the sick one a hard time but Ananda and Sat were so sweet and gentle with him, I was amazed. I took him to the vet instantly. At first the vet thought there might be something stuck in his crop but they did an xray a few hours ago and there´s nothing. He´s not eating but he hasn´t been throwing up, thankfully. The vet is giving him medication, I´m not sure what kind, and he will call me tomorrow to let me know how Chit is doing. I feel sad that he´s sick, but I´m hoping he gets better tonight and we can bring him back home tomorrow. Ananda and Sat seem bummed, they´re just sitting there quietly, and they´re not really best buddies so I´m sure they miss Chit.

Any ideas of what could be wrong? They all eat the same food, a seed mix and veggies daily, lettuce, apple, spinach etc. The water is always fresh. They have a giant cage and they don´t like to come out.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Was his tail bobbing or head bobboing? did he look unsteady or weak is he drinking ?

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
He was head bobbing when he was throwing up and then clumps of seeds would come flying out of his beak. He was weak, but he wasn´t falling off the perch - it was very easy to catch him though so he was def weaker than normal. The vet said he was dehydrated and lost some weight - I think he hadn´t eaten anything between... Saturday evening maybe and Sunday around 11 am. He was fine on Saturday...
From what the vet said he hasn´t been eating since I brought him in.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
if he makes it, and I pray he does, I suggst you house him separately when he gets home..I honestly, in spite of what you say, t hink they may have been picking on him and he needs to fully recover before being housed with them again. you should also have the vet check for heavy metal poisoning etc which would affect them all eventually.many prayers on the way..please keep us updated

ThatDarnBird

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( These little guys are so fragile and it's so nerve wracking when they are sick. I hope he's ok. When he comes home make sure they give you instructions on setting up a hospital cage. He will need to be kept warm and quiet. When my little Harry was sick (budgie) I set him up in his pak o bird carrier with a heating pad on low underneath. They really need help being kept warm.

ronsig

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
I am sorry to hear this. Sometimes, budgies get crop infections, and it sounds like that is what Chit could have. The vet probably did a culture and will give him antibiotics.
Since Chit is at the vet, he is in good hands. The vet will tell you what to do once Chit is back at home.
I would scrub the cage and toys, just to make sure.

Sigrid

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It kinda sounds like gastrointestinal bacteria issue, or a crop issue....easily battled with nystatin and bayrtil. I also would keep him seperate when he comes home,till hes over his meds. Good luck, and keep us updated.

ThatDarnBird

Just checking in to see how Chit is doing. I hope he's home and recuperating.:hug8:

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
How is Chit today I think you should get him home to where he is comfortable or maybe you can vsit him for like a hour a day I am sure he would love to see moma for comfort and support..

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
Hi guys! I totally missed your messages, I usually get them by email :( Well Chit is not doing better. The vet did an xray and blood analysis and it turned out that, from what I understand, Chit has something stuck in his stomach, perhaps a piece of toy, that prevents him from eating and it causing internal bleeding (according to blood test results, he is losing blood internally). They gave him laxatives so that that object can come out but since then, there has been no change (since Friday). Yesterday they said he tried to eat and that he´s better, today he´s not eating again. They feed him papilla... (soft food) 3-4 times a day but after a week he hasn´t gotten better at all... He has to be fed by hand otherwise he doesn´t eat at all. I went to see him Friday and poor baby he looks so sick and miserable it breaks my heart.
But we´re not giving up on him!! The vet is very professional and he tries different meds and he said it is even possible to operate on budgies so we´ll do what is necessary to bring him home healthy!

Thank you for the heating pad idea, I should get one just in case the other two are ever sick...

Thank you for your posts, it´s been a very sad week for us :(

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
:hug8::heart:Praying for Chit to have a full and speedy recovery:heart::hug8:

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
Thank you! Well if things do not get better tomorrow Chit will have a surgery. I saw him today and he seemed a bit more lively than on Friday but there has been very very little improvement since last Sunday. So we´ll try to remove the object from his stomach via surgery. If he lives, I will be the happiest person alive. If not, I will know at least we did everything in our power. I promised myself I won´t gie up on him even if the vet bills eat up all my savings. Chit is our friend.:heart:

ThatDarnBird

Poor little guy. :( I do hope things turn around for him and he starts to improve. I'm keeping all my fingers crossed for him!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I hope Chit makes it through. I'm glad you're going through with the surgery.

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
I hope Chit makes it through. I'm glad you're going through with the surgery.
Thank you! Me too! and thank you for all the good vibes. I haven´t heard from the vet yet. The surgery might be tomorrow.
Thank you for all the good vibes. I also ordered my birds the Herb Salad that someone mentioned in the Holistic thread on the main
page. I know for sure Chitty has a lipoma in his crop and those things tend to grow to I want to have some herbs around that will
strengthen their little immune systems!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Any word on little Chit?

zuzanqa

Real Name
Zuz
A little! I saw him yesterday and the day before. He is much better. He is more lively and hops around the cage! But he is still at the clinic and they have to feed him soft food because on his own he doesn´t eat enough to maintain his weight and strength... They did an endoscopy a few days ago and pulled out a piece of the toy he had eaten. But I still don´t know if they´re going to operate on him or not, and how long he has to stay at the clinic... :( So it´s good news and not so good news I guess.. Patience patience...

ThatDarnBird

:dance4: I'm so glad he's feeling better!! I hope he gets to go home soon.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Zuzanna - I certainly can emphatize with you. I'm proud that you are doing everything to save your little budgie. Your vet sounds like very good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.