• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick bird?!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Hopefully I'm just being a paranoid new bird owner.

I realise the internet isn't the best place to ask about an emergency, and I will be taking my budgie to my avian vet tomorrow morning!

I'm just worried as Flynn has done two runny poops this evening. He has been drinking a lot of water- hopefully thats the cause? He is eating normally and his normal happy self- he has been flying around, sitting watching tv with us and been very active playing on his swing. He doesn't seem sick but I know budgies hide their illnesses. I tend to worry about every tiny thing so I'm really hoping he is just fine.

I've been trying to transition Flynn to "vetafarm budgie and finch crumbles" which I've been reccomended as high quality feed. He is a seed addict as this is what he was fed before I got him. I've been mixing the crumble in with his seed and he seems to be happy with it. I added photos of the product and ingredients - the pellets people speak about on the forums are not available here (aus). He is also a very good vegetable eater now.

I really hope I am feeding him a good diet and open to any suggestions (I haven't tried sprouting yet) if this is the problem, and really hope he isn't sick :(

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You really must continue different ways of getting Flynn to eat veggies/greens. The best way I know of is to have a second budgie as they will eat better that way. Feeding time becomes a competition. Try serving the veggies in different ways if you have not already. Hanging in the cage, on skewers or in a shallow dish for foraging. Serve the veggies in the morning after having removed any seed from the cage for about 2 hours or so. Persistence will pay off.

Thank you for being a good budgie Mom and noticing any changes in your bird. I am glad you have a vet appointment. I am not familiar with the new food you are feeding but just changing food can get the GI system of a bird a little upset from routines.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Oh I am! The vegetables and greens aren't an issue- he eats them well and he eats birdie bread too. I hang vegetables in his cage as this is what seems to get him interested. In the mornings first thing now he always goes to have a look in the spots where I put his veggies before I even get a chance to put them there.

Maybe the crumble isn't agreeing with him? Pellets don't seem as popular here.

I really hope he's not sick. The vet I go to has an emergency service but that wouldn't be an avian vet, and Flynn is actually fast asleep as its 10pm here. He's in his normal sleeping perch, not on the floor of the cage.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have bought what is called crumbles before and found them a little too big for a budgie. Have you noticed any trouble swallowing?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I haven't noticed trouble swallowing, but I have noticed he drinks more water since I introduced them (however he also has becoming more confident in our home and flies WAY more so he could just be thirsty from the flying). He has a preference for seed though and will pick the seed out, but he gets some of the crumble too.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
  • Flynn was given a clean bill of health by the avian vet and she gave me an info sheet on converting to include pellets in his diet. She noticed what a sweet little boy he is too:heart:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Drinking more water then usual, eating less, and after bathing can also cause watery poops.
Here´s a link with some poop info; Is your bird suffering from poopology - All about bird droppings

I hope all goes well at the vet, you did great spotting the change and making the appointment ❤

edit; oops, sorry I missed the last post on the thread! So glad to hear all went well!!!! :) :loveshower:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Thank you! I'm very relieved.

I'm super lucky as there arent many avian vets around, and there just happens to be one 5 minutes drive from my home. She reassured me in the event of an emergency the vets would be able to look after a bird (they are small animal/exotic vets only at the clinic) and if it was out of their depth they can call her. Hopefully I won't need to use an emergency service though.

The vet also told me to relax and enjoy Flynn!