• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick bird

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
My cockatiel, George started acting sleepy and sitting at the bottom of his cage and when he was out of the cage I would find him sitting on the floor fluffed up. I took him to the vet and she said he has a sinusitis and conjunctivitis. She prescribed antibiotics and said he needs to be on a pellet only diet with no seeds. She was also concerned that he was deficient in vitamin A due to the fact he is a seed eater. I did some research and found that a vitamin A deficiency can essentially cause an infection due to the lack of the vitamin. I'm super worried about him. She said everything else checked out okay. Lungs were clear which makes me feel better. But since I gave him his medicine he's been shaking his head and his eyes started watering he's also acting more sleepy. His breathing is fine but he's just so pitiful looking. I feel awful for him! Idk what to do to make him feel better. Maybe make a hospital box for him? Any advice is much appreciated

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Pellets only isn't something I'd recommend. Tiels need a varied diet; vegetables, sprouts, pellets, and seed. Seeds lack vitamins as you know. Sprouts will likely be easier to help transition George to a better diet. I suggest rinsing the seeds till the water is clear, then soak them in a glass jar (or sprouter like Easy Sprout) for about 4 hours. Drain the water off, rinse, and dry them well with a paper towel, and offer them. I usually serve my sprouts just as the tail is about to poke out, but to introduce your bird to the "concept", I'd try just offering them as soaked and dried seeds.

Did the vet or tech show you how to administer oral medications safely? I usually have to give medications slowly (little drip at a time) and make sure that they are being swallowed. Definitely give the vet a call and ask if the medications they've prescribed can cause drowsiness. If he's not feeling better, take him in again. Is your vet an Avian vet?

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Yes she's an avian vet and I tried calling and emailing. I've tried a variety of foods but he just won't eat them. I'm wondering if you give the medicine incorrectly...how can you tell??? Does breathing change or do they become disteressed?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
:( That's worrying that they're so busy they can't reply to you!

Usually they'll sling the liquid/shake their head if you give them too much at once. Usually you want to put the syringe at the right side (which is your bird's left). If you need a video I can try to do one.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Your bird might appreciate some heat. We use a ceramic bulb from the pet store (not the red ones). We put it on one side of the cage only so the bird can move away from it if it gets too warm.

A hospital cage is nice but not necessary unless he is housed with other birds. Is he eating and drinking?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a bird with severe malnourishment and vitamin A deficiency. What I am doing for him is using Harrison's High Potency Mash mixed with what he was eating before (seeds), and then wetted with Avitech Red Palm Oil and various "orange" baby foods - pumpkin, mango, carrot, squash, etc. Orange veggies are full of beta carotene which is what turns into Vitamin A in the body. I also add Avitech Avi-Immune which is powdered DMG and can boost the immune system.

Cockatiels should not be on a diet of higher than 50% pellets - however when they are sick it may give them a boost to be on a diet with more pellets (and thus nutrients) for a while until they get better.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
He was eating and drinking until after we got home from the vet which was an extremely long outing. It took hours to see the vet then get his antibiotics so I'm pretty sure he's stressed and worn out. I have a UVA light on him and I can use a heating pad. So using baby foods is recommended? I'm interested in a list of foods I can get for him.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How’s he doing today?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Thank you for the replies and advice. He ate well this morning and became active. I gave him his medicine and he acted the same way he did yesterday. He's now crouched and fluffed up and his tail is slightly bobbing. I contacted the vet but haven't heard back.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your bird is ill. Hope you can get in touch with the vet and that all will be well.

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
So George slept on the bottom of the cage. That's the first time he's done that. He was acting pretty sick this morning. Now he's chirping his super loud happy sounding chirp and eating. I'm extremely worried that he's inhaled his medicine because I'm giving it wrong. Any advice is so appreciated!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Did the vet show you the proper way to give the medication? I've luckily have only had to give oral medications once, and I was able to mix it with baby food and just give it by spoon. Is that an option?

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Did the vet show you the proper way to give the medication? I've luckily have only had to give oral medications once, and I was able to mix it with baby food and just give it by spoon. Is that an option?
No she did not. I had to pick the medicine up from a pharmacy. I know that Saturday was a super long stressful exhausting day for him. I know I was worn out. II hav had to give multiple medications to a bird I had in the past and she took them easily. George is not tame so he's combative about it and fights me .He will not take the med easily and pushes the syringe with his tongue. I've researched how to give meds but all the research I've found shows compliant birds. How do I give this to a combative fighting bird???

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
No she did not. I had to pick the medicine up from a pharmacy. I know that Saturday was a super long stressful exhausting day for him. I know I was worn out. II hav had to give multiple medications to a bird I had in the past and she took them easily. George is not tame so he's combative about it and fights me .He will not take the med easily and pushes the syringe with his tongue. I've researched how to give meds but all the research I've found shows compliant birds. How do I give this to a combative fighting bird???

Can you towel him to make it easier for you?

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
I did towel him and held him firmly without squeezing. I gave the medicine slowly and he seemed to swallow. He pushed really hard with his tongue. Then he acted like he went to sleep so I loosened my grip then off he went! We started the process all over again and I felt like he swallowed however after he took it all he chirped weird and got lethargic then seemed to have difficulty breathing. I feel like I'm doing something wrong and it's killing him.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I found this:

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Thanks so much. I found this video while doing research. It would be helpful to find videos on birds who fight taking the medicine with their tongues. Is the opening of a birds airway under his tongue? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Im dreading giving him his medicine today. I plan to give it more slowly even if it takes all day to give it to him.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Thanks so much. I found this video while doing research. It would be helpful to find videos on birds who fight taking the medicine with their tongues. Is the opening of a birds airway under his tongue? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. Im dreading giving him his medicine today. I plan to give it more slowly even if it takes all day to give it to him.
Sherbie used to just clamp down or push the syringe, where Rupert would clamp shut so tight that I couldn't work the medicine in to his beak; it would just roll in to his feathers.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I had a tiel that would also block the tip of the syringe with his tongue. I would towel him and only really hold him with my thumb and first finger around his neck. (Don’t hold his body tightly.) I would pry the side of his beak open and try to bypass his tongue and get the syringe on top of his tounge farther back. It was a struggle, but he never acted lethargic or like he inhaled the meds. Sometimes a bit dazed, but not for more than a second.