• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

sick bird maybe (sad update #8)

winniezon

Jogging around the block
My cockatiels must be at least over six weeks old. They still eat from a syringe. At first i was feeding them A19 hand feeding formula but now I am giving them mushed bananas and papaya and watermelon. They do not like or notice food in bowls and do not eat bananas that are not mushed up. My other birds (lovebirds, senegal parrots) have all been interested in seeds and fruits at an early stage. Is this normal in cockatiels, what should I do to encourage them eating by themselves?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Average weaning for tiels I believe is 12 weeks. Hopefully someone with more experience will be by :)

winniezon

Jogging around the block
my baby cockatiel has not eaten much and is not flying around as of today. he has glassy eyes and his feathers are puffed. is he sick do you think?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My cockatiels must be at least over six weeks old. They still eat from a syringe. At first i was feeding them A19 hand feeding formula but now I am giving them mushed bananas and papaya and watermelon. They do not like or notice food in bowls and do not eat bananas that are not mushed up. My other birds (lovebirds, senegal parrots) have all been interested in seeds and fruits at an early stage. Is this normal in cockatiels, what should I do to encourage them eating by themselves?
Hello Nori,

Really cockatiels should be given A21 (green top)
A19 is for larger birds, although I have used it for my lovebird for a little while when I had an ¨emergency¨.

Why did you stop feeding formula? They should still be eating formula, you can offer mashed banana and other veggies in a bowl for them to explore after formula feeds.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Is this the Tiel that's weaning? He may have reverted so offer some formula. If he doesn't accept that then he needs a vet, he can go downhill pretty quickly.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have merged these two threads to contain all information in one place. It makes it much easier to respond and offer advice if we can read all the details in one thread.

my baby cockatiel has not eaten much and is not flying around as of today. he has glassy eyes and his feathers are puffed. is he sick do you think?
Again, what was the reason to stop feeding the Nutribird?
Do you still have some left? If so, feed it to the little one. Be sure you follow the instructions well and serve it at 105F.

winniezon

Jogging around the block
my bird haru died a few mins ago after taking him to the vet. he saw his sister then he died.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m sorry for your loss.
It sounds like they are starving. Do you have the formula? Can you give some to the sister?

winniezon

Jogging around the block
I´m sorry for your loss.
It sounds like they are starving. Do you have the formula? Can you give some to the sister?
we have no more of the a19 and have been looking for it everywhere. his sister ume seems to be fine. there is only expired a19 can i use it?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry for your loss. Tiels don't wean until between 8-12 weeks. Also, cockatiels usually don't eat fruit.