• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Sick Baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristyHuber

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christy
Since I've started feeding my 4 month old hahn's one time a day from two times, he's been constantly fluffed, bobbing his head, and cawing like he wants me to feed him. He seems quite sick and he even regurgitated a little bit, but it was only once and not that much. He also seems to be straining when he poops, then bobs his tail afterward, and some of his poops are just pure water. He just isn't himself, and doesn't really play much anymore, but he's still eating from his bowl just as much. This is just in the last couple of days, I stopped feeding him twice two days ago. Could he be really sick though? I'm worried. This is my first time with hand feeding.

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, Relax and we can try and figure out what is going on. What are you feeding him and how much? Is his crop empty each time you feed him? Does his poops look normal? Does his breath smell at all? Have you been checking his weight every day? Look in the birds mouth and check for a white or cream color plaque, do you see any?

gary

ChristyHuber

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christy
I'm feeding him roudybush pellets, and when I handfeed him Kaytee formula once in the morning. His crop is empty each time I feed him and his poops are green and a bit watery like they have been since I got him from the store. Hi breath is fine and his weight is fine and his mouth doesn't have anything in it. He's just back to his baby phase of crying for food and being constantly fluffed up. He's been begging for me to hold him constantly too.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you cut the night feeding completely or did you gradually reduce it? I had better luck weaning with giving a small feeding in the morning (take the edge off the hunger) and then a full feeding at night, scaling down as the babies ate more on their own. The night feed was always the one I got rid of last. If he is crying, feed him even if its a smaller amount. they will eat on their own much better if you can take the edge of their hunger.

A vet check is always a good idea, sometimes bacterial or fungal infections can make babies act like this also.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Oh, no! I wish I could be of help! Hope he gets better soon!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even though he isnt a cockatoo, I still like to pass this article along to people that are weaning babies, it is well worth the read.

Weaning Sadie

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

ChristyHuber

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christy
I'm going to go back to the twice a day and gradually cut out feedings. I just completely cut out the night feeding as recommended by someone from the store I bought him from, but I was also told that at 4 months he should be weaned by now. Thanks for the literature, it really helped. I'm taking him to an Avian Vet asap too.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm glad and relieved that You are going to add back the extra feeding and get Him to a QAV ASAP:hug8:There is NO true time table for weaning ANY Bird,only a guideline.The Birds do not read the books:hehe: I hope He is acting Better tomorrow:hug8:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may find some days he wants more and some days he wants less. Its perfectly okay to follow what he needs, it will be much better to wean him on his own schedule for his emotional needs. He may end up weaning out just fine now with the gradual decrease but dont worry about time lines, just focus on what the bird is telling you. You dont want them to get to the point where they are feeling 'starved' because it hurts the process. Sometimes they just need a little comfort feeing, especially if there was something "stressful" that day (new environment, trip to the vet, etc). Some birds go through these things just fine but others need that extra comfort feeding.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi Chrisy, if he begging keep giving him the night feeding. Please do not rush the weaning process with your little guy. Bonnie has good advice about cutting down on the night feeding rather than eliminating it.

Keep us updated please.

gary

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Additionally, macaws have the reputation of weaning much later than other breeds. My Jasper didn't wean until she was about 8 months old. Her owners tried to wean her when she was too young, resulting in stunted growth. She is a Greenwing and runs around 1100 gm. Her parents were giants at about 1600 gm each. I really believe in letting them tell you when they want to wean.
ML

ChristyHuber

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christy
Thanks, everybody. I just fed him his morning meal and he seems quite content, looking out the window quietly. I'll feed him later on tonight when he starts doing more head bobs and fluffing up. I was under the impression from what the store I bought him from said that there's a methodical way of weaning, but it seems it's better to listen to the bird. I heard macaws are harder to wean, but I'm up for it. I'll be taking him in to the vet this week to make sure nothing's going wrong though.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
You also need to teach him what to eat coming up with the fresh foods also...parents do this by not processing their foods as much in the crops...the older the baby the less the food from the parents crop is chewed up..so you can start now by adding pureed veggies such as carrots/sweet potatoes, broccoli, kale and adding that to his formula but feeding it to him during the day from a spoon to begin with...the taste of the formula is there but the new foods are also...then after a while, finely chop the veggies and then slowly introduce in pieces he had pick up with his foot or beak to eat seperately...I did this with my Teils/lovebirds/keets/Amazon that I hand raised...:hug8:

ChristyHuber

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christy
I've been feeding him pellets and raspberries, blackberries, and green, red, and yellow peppers. I read somewhere that macaws liked peppers. They're all fresh, but they were just the veggies I had on hand. I'm going to the store today to get new stuff, so thanks for the recommendations, I wasn't sure what to get. If anyone else has good ideas for fresh food, let me know! He seems to really like all the fresh stuff I've been giving him, and he's been eating everything pretty equally.

ChristyHuber

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Christy
I ended up going to an Avian Vet near my house today(they had an entire huge yard filled with parrots and I befriended a huge Hyacinth Macaw who kept offering me his foot, but I was too afraid to hold him). The vet said that everything looked normal, he's a healthy bird, and that the place I bought him from was wrong for saying cut out the night feeding. So he recommended I keep the night feeding and cut out or reduce the morning feeding. So everything is good! Thanks for all the comments and advice!

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
glad everything ok! I've alway gradually reduced each feeding as well and the night one was always the last to go, I always lets the birds wean on their own as well.

One more trick I can add is to give him hos warm mash first in the morning and let him get his fill, than hand feed. He will natural want less, since he has eaten other stuff. after a while he will wean him self off the morning feeding by eating all the fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.