• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shy Caique?

luckym

Meeting neighbors
Mercutio has always been on the calm side, unlike every caique I've seen. He's not outgoing or playful, but rather shy and calm. He'd rather sit in my lap all day having his head scratched than playing and hopping around. Anyone else's caique like that?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey will sit with me if He can be on my iPad.
Other than that he is always into something.....

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I suspect hes taking his lead from you. I have a gang of these guys and its HIGHLY UNUSUAL for anybirdy to sit around calmly when there's a playmate on the rampage.

Having said that, I have a closely bonded hen, Cha-Cha and she could care less if the world exploded while shes in her rightful place, preening on my wrist. But she's an adult, nearly 5 now.

luckym

Meeting neighbors
how old is the bird and did something scare him? :cag:
He's a solid 6 months old, and I think his shyness stems from when I first got him. He was in a cage with 40 other birds that was way too small to fit all of them, and people were constantly reaching in there and grabbing at them. When I brought him home, I really had to work on socializing him gently because every little movement used to scare him. I expected that once he trusted me that he would let his outgoing caique personality out, but him and I have a really close bond and yet he'd still rather hang out on my shoulder and nibble at my shirt than bounce around and play.

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Mine is 5 years old and a very calm bird. Does not do the hopping and stuff others do. But he gets really grumpy very easy. lol

Mico&Limon

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
I have two white bellies of 2,5 years and they are so different! Of course they will play fight as much as they can, and when they are tired of that I have one cuddler and one explorer Mico prefers to sit on me whatever I do, loves to surf while being scratched, and is always scared of new objects and will take her time to get used to them. Limon will jump onto any object (or person)that is new to him with great enthusiasm and curiosity. They are so cute in their own way! :heart:
So I guess it is just part of their different personalities.

KaseySwan

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kasey Swan
My baby is 5 months and is the same way. She hasn't hopped, rolled over, or will play with hardly any of her toys. She was with a breeder and was shipped to me directly so she had some interraction with other birds but not much. I'm hoping she'll start to become more playful and energetic because I bought a TON of toys that she doesn't seem to be interested in :wbc: