• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shredding Toys

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
So, my birds will not shred wood. I have tried, with no success. However, they will munch on crunchy things. They like chewing on the seagrass mats, raffia, and paper. Because they only chew/shred these things, I need to give them plenty of them! Any neat chewing/shredding toy ideas made of paper or raffia or seagrass mats for small beaks? They get a bit scared of those bigger shredding toys that could keep a beak busy busy, so I’ll probably start out smaller.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Paper towel rolls or toilet paper rolls. I cut them in sections and thread some jute rope through them as well as stuff some wooden blocks in the center so Java has something to "unwrap". They're cheap, safe, and there are plenty to go around. Also, you could take some strips of paper towel roll and weave it through a seagrass mat or cage bars. I've taken apart one of Java's large wooden toys that he wasn't playing with and made four more toys with the pieces, now he can't leave them alone. You could also try paper cups, cupcake paper, coffee filters or paper straws.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My budgie loves fingertraps. They double as a foraging toy. Also loves hemp string, the medium size. He'll chew on that stuff all day long.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I do not trust toilet paper rolls because the paper is recycled and you don't know the original source. My two shred just about anything. They especially love the edges of platform perches. Have you noticed female budgies shred more than the males?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I read that toilet rolls and hand paper rolls are not safe due to the glue used in them. I wanted to use them simply because they are always available and easy to use in many ways. I also read cardboard (from boxes) is no good because of the glue. Can anyone confirm if they are safe or not?

Paper toys....
If toilet roll tubes are safe then they can be used in many ways for any size bird.

Burt loves when I use paper to make fans or when I cut paper into strips and make stars for him or fold them over each other in opposite directions to get like a paper square springy thing. You can also weave little baskets or paper balls.
You can look on you tube for making paper bird foraging toys there are a few fairly simple ways to make paper things for little birds.

Personally my favorite paper thing to make for my bird is the stars as they are so easy and I usually hide a little pine nut or other bit of nut inside for him to find. Sometimes he just rips into them and other times he actually carefully un-threads them.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My budgie loves fingertraps. They double as a foraging toy. Also loves hemp string, the medium size. He'll chew on that stuff all day long.
Can you post a pic of the finger traps? I have no idea what they are but I am very curious and interested.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thanks @Mizzely , I have seen those but they were called something different. I can not remember what they were called but finger traps sounds more interesting.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo isn't a wood chewer either, but does love super thin balsa (like 1/8" thick). So that's something to think about trying too.

Cupcake liners are also nontoxic and fun to chew. Yucca is also more of a shred than a chew. Vine/willow items are crunchy also!

As for ideas, it doesn't have to be complex. You can take those items and simply put them on a skewer and be good to go!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks @Mizzely , I have seen those but they were called something different. I can not remember what they were called but finger traps sounds more interesting.

It might be an American term lol. They are also sometimes called palm shreds as they are made from palm or bamboo usually.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Can you post a pic of the finger traps? I have no idea what they are but I am very curious and interested.
These-MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com - Finger Traps

@SquawksNibbles Your little ones might also like sola? It's the softest wood in the world, I think. MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com - Sola Crepe Ball and Sola Chips, 1/4 ounce

And some stuff from CABN that my budgie likes- He's not a big chewer. I incorporate stuff in the hopes he'll play with it.

Medium Hemp Spool (he likes to chew on this string)
All Natural 2oz Cup DRILLED (I use these for foraging, but they're probably soft enough for budgies to rip up)

And cupcake papers, I use the mini ones. They even have them in seasonal patterns and colors!:D

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I read that toilet rolls and hand paper rolls are not safe due to the glue used in them. I wanted to use them simply because they are always available and easy to use in many ways. I also read cardboard (from boxes) is no good because of the glue. Can anyone confirm if they are safe or not?
That is incorrect. I wish the myth about toilet/paper towel rolls would die. LOL the glue is safe and non-toxic. we thread those through the bars every time we have an empty one.

As far as boxes most people consider them safe. I do not. Here’s why: where has the box been? Were pesticides sprayed in the place it was stored? Besides the glue originally on it, which I am not sure of, what other adhesive has been used on it?
IMO that is too many unanswered questions. Better to buy plain rolls of corrugated cardboard and use those instead.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh - things to shred. You can take a toilet paper roll and cut around it super thin, so it looks like a flower. Also un dyed raffia, cupcake liners, coffee filters, craft paper IF you call the manufacturer and ask about the dyes. Cork, my shreddy babies love cork.paper straws.

lyx

Sprinting down the street
My 2 budgies chew literally EVERYTHING; they love love balsa, palm leaf, anything paper, I've made a couple toys out of straws and lolly pop sticks which they love to just beat up with their beaks or climb up and swing from :lol: Its either that or they try to chew up the windowsills! lol!

IMG_5317.JPG IMG_5649.JPG

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Cork is a big hit here too. I can get a kilo Cork for 8€ here, I cut it up myself in pieces to use for toys and perches.
My 2 budgies chew literally EVERYTHING; they love love balsa, palm leaf, anything paper, I've made a couple toys out of straws and lolly pop sticks which they love to just beat up with their beaks or climb up and swing from :lol: Its either that or they try to chew up the windowsills! lol!

View attachment 278937 View attachment 278938
You’re so lucky! I wish my birds were that chew crazy:lol:I am still so in love with Rocket:heart:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is incorrect. I wish the myth about toilet/paper towel rolls would die. LOL the glue is safe and non-toxic. we thread those through the bars every time we have an empty one.

As far as boxes most people consider them safe. I do not. Here’s why: where has the box been? Were pesticides sprayed in the place it was stored? Besides the glue originally on it, which I am not sure of, what other adhesive has been used on it?
IMO that is too many unanswered questions. Better to buy plain rolls of corrugated cardboard and use those instead.

Thanks for clearing that up, I have been letting my bird play with them and he loves them. I was rather annoyed when I read that they were not safe and could not find anything that proved that they were iffy. My dogs love them also and regularly steal them from the bathroom. I have a huge stash of them so I will happily give them all to the bird now as he just has a ball with them.

The cardboard boxes I was thinking of using for the bird are brand new ones but the glue was of a concern to me as I have read its not safe but there seems to be little information on it. I will just stick to toilet rolls for him and purchased corrugated cardboard.