• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shred toys

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I want peoples opinions on this . I have a female who is chronic a egg layer, And a newly weaned baby who is seven weeks old . Me and my husband where thinking about getting some shred toys for them but my fear is he may be to young and it might make her lay more. What do you guys think about shred toys?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Not sure if it will keep her from egg-laying. There is much advice here for that. Cockatiels do like toys and should have a variety of them. I find my tiels mostly like toys they can shred - you can put a variety of parts together on a bird skewer...mine like balsa, palm, finger traps, cork, mahogany slices and pods, yucca, seagrass. Seven weeks sounds young for a tiel to be weaned...I thought they were a little older when they wean...I brought home 2 babies when they were just about 3 months old...and had toys for them in their cage. They will sometimes play with bells and some toys from Avain Stainless - but they really like their shreddables.

Modell

Strolling the yard
@CeciliaZ I myself am looking for you ideas. I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions about your ideas. First, where do you buy the finger traps? Second, I have lots of Wicca, it's our state flower. How do you use it as a toy?

I'm sorry to hyjak the post. I don't think shreddable toys would do anything though. I have heard that tents and hammocks are stimulating, so I've avoided them despite my temptations to buy my baby one.

Also, my baby was weaned at 6 weeks, she came home with me then. However, the breeder did say she never saw a baby mature so fast before. She started talking shortly after I brought her home. I think they all just mature differently.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
@Modell I purchase most of the bird toy items from our vendors here...check out the "Market Place" section and the list of vendors. The last SWS I purchased from Ca bird nerds...some balsa, mahogany, sola. I think she has some also on her site - "bamboo chew tubes" My tiels love chewing on seagrass mats also.

What is wicca?

Modell

Strolling the yard
@CeiliaZ Alright, Ill check them out then, thank you.
Stupid autocorrect. Yucca* I have no idea why my phone would pick Wicca over yucca.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Yeah, I have heared that it might make her egg laying worse and I was worried the baby might try to eat it vs just shredding it.

I'll definitely get them some though I think they may like them

Modell

Strolling the yard
I understand your fears. My grandma lost her beloved tiel to eggbinding. I've heard the stories enough times that it has me freaked out. I think just avoid tents and things that could look like nests.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I understand your fears. My grandma lost her beloved tiel to eggbinding. I've heard the stories enough times that it has me freaked out. I think just avoid tents and things that could look like nests.
Tents and nests bad...shreddy toys good. Also, if you can get real balsa wood toys (the very soft wood) and the finger-pullers, those seem to be hits.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
@CeiliaZ Alright, Ill check them out then, thank you.
Stupid autocorrect. Yucca* I have no idea why my phone would pick Wicca over yucca.
This is way off subject, but have you ever seen that site called Damn You Autocorrect? It's hilarious! Good information here guys!