• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shower Time!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Happy, WET Birdie!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
He is doing the shower dance!!! I love wet birdies. He is so adorable!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Nedd is sure enjoying his bath! He's adorable!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
How often should they shower? Freddy loves that, so I do that just before cleaning his cage about once a week or so. Is there such a thing as too much? The first time Freddy saw me mist the lovebirds he chirped, so I started to mist him. He quickly moved toward the middle of the cage, spread all his feathers and twirled upside-down on his perch! I had never seen anything like it! Beautiful birds! My husband wanted to video him next time.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
How often should they shower?
Once a day if they want too (great when they molt) and if the indoor temperature is fine. But never in the evening.
Is there such a thing as too much?
I don't think so if you don't have to cold indoors with high humid air.

In the summer I bath mine almost every day when they are outside. And if it's really hot several times/day.
In the winter they decide how often, and that can be 2-3 times/week.
And they also taking a shower with me every day after my training.
They are their for company but the high humid air is so good for them, and that is also the air they prefer.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Once a day if they want too (great when they molt) and if the indoor temperature is fine. But never in the evening.

I don't think so if you don't have to cold indoors with high humid air.

In the summer I bath mine almost every day when they are outside. And if it's really hot several times/day.
In the winter they decide how often, and that can be 2-3 times/week.
And they also taking a shower with me every day after my training.
They are their for company but the high humid air is so good for them, and that is also the air they prefer.
Thanks! I have steam heat and they are in the warmest part of the house. Today Freddy wasn't interested in showering or playing, but has been playing mostly by himself today. Yesterday he was a riot, today very low key.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
How often should they shower?
Milton would live in the shower if he could...the fact is that he's obsessed with water and "WET"...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That's cute, how old is Milton, if you don't mind me asking?
Milton is 21 years old. We adopted him from a rescue in Rochester, NY in February of 2011...:)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton's obsession with the shower is something. He'll walk into the bathroom and announce, "WANNA WET!"

He also carries on conversations with the bars of soap, washcloths, etc. when he's in there...;)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Wow, my Freddy was traumatized as a baby and wouldn't interact with people. Someone at the pet store tried to steal him. When he was caught, he threw the bird at the wall. Sadly, Freddy was deathly afraid of people since. So they kept him at the shop until....he got over it, or until someone came along with enough patience. Well, I started paying attention to him at the pet store and he started eating out of my hand. And my son's hands. We've only had him 3 weeks, and he plays with all of us, and takes food from all of us. Just waiting for him to come out to be with us now. At times he seems like he wants to. He reached out and touched my shirt yesterday. It could happen soon....we'll see :)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Freddy wasn't physically hurt from that incident. But was traumatized. He's 7 yrs old now. He'll be 8 this summer.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That's so sad but he has you and your family now. Don't be surprised if it takes quite a bit of time for him to come around but if you let him go at his pace and show patience and love he'll get there. It took Lurch about 5 years and he had a lot of baggage to work through but he got there and I was his chosen one. Sounds like your guy will come around faster though and when he gets there he'll be a loyal family member the rest of his life. Lurch was a Maxi Pionus.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Thank you all for your kind words. Sometimes I wonder what he'll be like, and I do see glimmers of a very happy little too :) I added one new puzzle toy the other day and lots of climbing and head bobbing, chirping. It was definitely a happy excited chirp. I love seeing him so happy. After the lights went out that night he called out to us just so he could bob his head again lol. I told him I am glad you're so happy but now is night-night. He quieted down after that. Lol cutie pie.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We've only had him 3 weeks, and he plays with all of us, and takes food from all of us. Just waiting for him to come out to be with us now. At times he seems like he wants to. He reached out and touched my shirt yesterday. It could happen soon....we'll see :)
After we brought Cassie the LSC, home, I began sitting next to her everyday while her cage door was open. I talked to her, gave her ambient attention while I sat there...reading, doing crossword puzzles, etc. One day, Cass ventured out of her cage sat on the open door for about 5 minutes, then went back in. As days went by, she would venture out of the cage for longer and longer times.
Imagine the pleasure when one day, about three months along, as I was reading the newspaper, Cassie came over, walked up my arm, and sat on my shoulder! She had decided to take that "leap of faith" and come over to me.

My guess is that sometime in the future, Freddy will make that same "leap of faith"...and oh, what a happy day that will be for you all...;)