• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

show me your dogs :)

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
2014-03-23 17.37.26.jpg
These are my crew. Starting with the Pug, Is Tanker (age 7). He is actually my best friends dog who was visiting us for about 6 months. He has now gone home. :)
Then there is Tink ~ She is a Border Collie. Weighs all of 20 lbs and is sitting at almost 14 years old. She has taught me about patience...lots and lots of it. Then the little guy is Pippy. He is 3 and is a Chi cross. He is an amazing cuddler.. Then there is my big boy, Tre. Tre is also a Border Collie and is 7 years old. He is a lug of a dog, loyal as can be. Great protector of the children (Even when he does not really like them most days.. LOL) He is also my smiler...he smiles and grumbles/growls at you when he is happy. Not to be mistaken when he is upset and grumbles.. :p The smile is the big key there... ;)

All of my crew are rescues. :xflove:

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
Marie,
The aussies come in the standard (large size), mini, toy, an even teacup size now.
Mitzi

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Years ago my daughter had a standard aussie and I thought that was the only size. I'll have to look up the teacups! :D

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Dawg.JPG Dawg6-06.JPG

Here is Dawg :D We lost her in Nov '11 :( She was the best & so patient. I really don't think we'll get another, she would be a hard act to follow.

Bartleby

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Years ago my daughter had a standard aussie and I thought that was the only size. I'll have to look up the teacups! :D
I hate to drag down this thread, but PLEASE do not get a teacup from a "breeder". Anything "teacup" is horribly bred, at the very least from BYBs (back yard breeders) but more probably from a mill situation. To get a teacup version from anything you have to horribly inbreed and specifically select for the most unhealthy, stunted specimens that you can find. Of course I always support rescuing them, just not buying from a "breeder".

The only recognized size of Aussie is the standard (which by the way has no official weight range and can range from 30lbs all the way up to 60 lbs...most show bred Aussies are around 40-50lbs). When the "minis" started showing up there was quite a hullabaloo. I won't get into all the politics, but eventually the Mini Aussies were officially recognized as a separate breed and are now called the Mini American Shepherd. Any breeder still calling their pups mini Aussies is not a member of the breed club, is not breeding to standard and is probably not doing the health testing etc that reputable breeders do.

I'm sorry to sidetrack the thread, but I just see so many well meaning people who don't necessarily know the ins and outs of the purebred dog world wind up supporting horrible breeding practices simple because they didn't know any better. I try to share what I know in hopes that it help a potential buyer/adopter make a better informed decision.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hate to drag down this thread, but PLEASE do not get a teacup from a "breeder". Anything "teacup" is horribly bred, at the very least from BYBs (back yard breeders) but more probably from a mill situation. To get a teacup version from anything you have to horribly inbreed and specifically select for the most unhealthy, stunted specimens that you can find. Of course I always support rescuing them, just not buying from a "breeder".

The only recognized size of Aussie is the standard (which by the way has no official weight range and can range from 30lbs all the way up to 60 lbs...most show bred Aussies are around 40-50lbs). When the "minis" started showing up there was quite a hullabaloo. I won't get into all the politics, but eventually the Mini Aussies were officially recognized as a separate breed and are now called the Mini American Shepherd. Any breeder still calling their pups mini Aussies is not a member of the breed club, is not breeding to standard and is probably not doing the health testing etc that reputable breeders do.

I'm sorry to sidetrack the thread, but I just see so many well meaning people who don't necessarily know the ins and outs of the purebred dog world wind up supporting horrible breeding practices simple because they didn't know any better. I try to share what I know in hopes that it help a potential buyer/adopter make a better informed decision.

I couldn't agree more! :highfive:

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Being part of the breed club and/or akc doesn't necessarily mean jack. I've known a few unscrupulous club members from my days of showing French bulldogs. I'd be less concerned with their affiliation and instead quiz them about their breeding practices and testing and ask for documentation.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Being part of the breed club and/or akc doesn't necessarily mean jack. I've known a few unscrupulous club members from my days of showing French bulldogs. I'd be less concerned with their affiliation and instead quiz them about their breeding practices and testing and ask for documentation.

That's true too. A few years ago the former President of the National Akita club refused to take back (part of her contract) or even assist in finding a home for one of the pups (6YO at the time) she bred :meh:
She talked a big game, but failed as a breeder in my book :mad:

pinkdagger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Michelle
:iagree: Totally agree. Anyone looking for a new pet in their life, regardless of species, should do some heavy duty research apart from hype and a breeder's information to really get a feel for the pet they're looking for. I think tiny cute things are sweet as ever, but not at the risk of their health.

As a fellow vicarious and dogless person, I will be frequenting this thread a lot as well. :D

birdle

Here are my two, but the Shih Tzu is bigger now. Need some new pics.

View attachment 180375 View attachment 180376
your shih tzu looks like a stuffed animal dog. She's perfect! beautiful dogs :)

@tastybeets Jack is beautiful. I love the red/liver coloring border collies can have.

@Ocean she looks like a labradoodle, but 50x better. Is that coat as soft as it seems?

Question for people who know about mini aussies (mini american shepherd) are they bred with chihuahuas or something to get them that small?

@Tinta I saw pugwawas for sale on CL the other day and if they grow up to be that cute I just might have to get down on my knees and beg for one. I need a bandaid.

I am loving these pictures guys! Thanks for showing me your dogs!! I'll put up a picture of mine back home. His name is Jasper. He's a senior border collie, even though his coloring would make him unable to show he is still the most handsome dog I've seen.
10342814_740919702633544_7240499257946182842_n.jpg 10450977_740919782633536_3740752869308940105_n.jpg 10458859_740919739300207_7498473077022353333_n.jpg 10464313_740919665966881_329125126523631008_n.jpg

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
your shih tzu looks like a stuffed animal dog. She's perfect! beautiful dogs :)

I am loving these pictures guys! Thanks for showing me your dogs!! I'll put up a picture of mine back home. His name is Jasper. He's a senior border collie, even though his coloring would make him unable to show he is still the most handsome dog I've seen.
View attachment 180460 View attachment 180461 View attachment 180462 View attachment 180463

Thank you :)

And, I love your dog's coloring. Very unusual and eye-catching!