• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shoulder drivers & riders needed!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok, I know normally :watching: bad/changable :tmsmakesme:behaviour is posted here, this is not my case. Wasn't :think1: really sure where to post this...

So, I've been thinking about this since I posted to a new member a few days ago. My buddy LOVES to be on his people! Doesn't seem to matter who, when, even how... :bonnie:

Of course his preferable is the chosen ones but if it is hanging out in/on the cage or a people. It's people 9 out of 10 times. I initially was set against it, (shoulder riding) but... maybe it was a trust or confidence thing, because my thoughts have changed over the last Yr & 1\2.

So here's my ?...

For those going through this hot summer, what do you do when your shoulder straps are thin (ex: camisole's) or no shirt @ all? Do your fids :peek1: get scared & :scared4: un easy, :sad13: slip?

Buddy does... I've found taking a dish towel & tucking it under the strap helps :cool6: his stability. Buddy fly's :airplane: so I know if he fell he could more than likely recover & go to safety. My concern is @ what cost? A possible wing because he hits my arms. Often he rides backwards. My thought there is he nails my throat or face & I unexpectedly react :whack: to protect eyes. (Normal human reflex). I love :heart2: my Bud, I never want him to be hurt.

I thought this may be a learning thing for us (Buddy & myself) but also an interesting :idea2: topic to discuss.

:grouphug2: Rain

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Cheeky won't get on my shoulder if I have a tank top or less. Same thing with bare legs. They're scary!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt is fascinated by bare shoulders and legs. I do not like him being on my shoulder for various reasons but he is just so obsessed with my hair that he constantly tries to find a way to get on my shoulder. Being a big bird he unfortunately does not have a problem with slipping, he just grips tighter and his little toes are big enough on my small shoulders to hold on easily.
I am hoping he soon stops wanting to try to be on my shoulder but I know the reality is that he will likely always wish to try and perch there.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Living in Florida I always have a tank top. They hang on just fine. In fact when I have a short sleeve tshirt during the rare times it is chilly here, they have a hard time hanging on. A bare shoulder gives them nothing to grip on. So you get bird nails and it is not comfortable.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Burt is fascinated by bare shoulders and legs. I do not like him being on my shoulder for various reasons but he is just so obsessed with my hair that he constantly tries to find a way to get on my shoulder. Being a big bird he unfortunately does not have a problem with slipping, he just grips tighter and his little toes are big enough on my small shoulders to hold on easily.
I am hoping he soon stops wanting to try to be on my shoulder but I know the reality is that he will likely always wish to try and perch there.
I can imagine that can get pretty uncomfortable being in that grip! He probably just likes to preen your beautiful hair. Buddy doesn't like Mom to look a fright either. Lol!

:gbh:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Living in Florida I always have a tank top. They hang on just fine. In fact when I have a short sleeve tshirt during the rare times it is chilly here, they have a hard time hanging on. A bare shoulder gives them nothing to grip on. So you get bird nails and it is not comfortable.
Tanks & most T's he does just fine grabbing. It seems to be Cami specific. I don't think He's ever been on my bare shoulder. Perplexed as to why. Maybe its because he sits on a basket when I bathe. I had bare shoulders on the list for the men, was not thinking about tube style shirts for girls. Duh! :banghead:

Buddy gets that bare shoulder when he steps to the left & goes off that Cami strap:lol: never thought about that till I thought about it. That grip then slip is what I'm trying to avoid!

Sry, I went on & on there!

:bluhug: Rain

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cheeky won't get on my shoulder if I have a tank top or less. Same thing with bare legs. They're scary!
Sorry Miss Donna my tablet scrolled down below your post. Buddys fine w/ bare legs. We play slide w/ them. Safely & slowly over the bed. He thinks there his :yes4: little private highyway. (Like a squirrel on a phone line outside)

:hug4: Rain

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can imagine that can get pretty uncomfortable being in that grip! He probably just likes to preen your beautiful hair. Buddy doesn't like Mom to look a fright either. Lol!

:gbh:

I look at myself after he has been "fixing" my hair and have a laughing fit at what he has done to me, I think he will not do very well as a hair stylist! Although maybe I should be thankful he likes to do my hair......he tends to pluck out any gray strands he may find so I am no longer starting to find gray hairs :rofl:

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I look at myself after he has been "fixing" my hair and have a laughing fit at what he has done to me, I think he will not do very well as a hair stylist! Although maybe I should be thankful he likes to do my hair......he tends to pluck out any gray strands he may find so I am no longer starting to find gray hairs :rofl:
I wish Buddy pulled out the gray! Wait... Maybe not...

They're getting to the point where its changing from blonde to gray faster & faster. A few more years & that could make me bald! :loltears:

I know he'll still love me but... :giggle:

I think Buddy does lovely hairstyle looks for those not minding the Medusa look!

Can you imagine going to the beauty parlor & they hand you a book of "Medusa/Gorgon styling" ?

:pinklol::toofunny::laughing7:

Hugs Rain

Max83

Walking the driveway
Mango is always in my hair or on my shoulder...he manage well to not to fall (a fully flighted bird can really fall until the floor?)...really the only problem is I'm full of signs of his nails and sometimes he hurt me but I've learnet to not react and only take him away if he tries to climb to my face (pay attention to your eyes of course!).