• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Should you be able to see your bird breathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
She does hold him as he really likes her. I will make sure from now on that she washes her hands before handling him in the future. This is all so scary and I know people own cats and birds so I never thought about my daughter bringing something here!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Sorry I'm not BF or Gary but I do want to try and Help:hug8:First,it sounds like the breathing is normal and You probably have just not noticed before.Second-I would CALL the Vet and ask just what kind of Pasturella Your bird Has?And WHY would they choose to wait to treat it?I have searched to see if there was a less dangerous form of Pasturella and did not find anything:( Call the Vet,and find out More:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I agree with Bonnie. I would not wait. I would get a antibiotic, preferably Clavimox and start treating him.

Sometimes you have to be proactive and not take the word of the vet or doctor if you know in your gut that something is off.

Ginger

carkam

Avenue Veteran
From what she said is that it is not the one that is the most common, immediately needing antibiotics. She also said that she is hoping it is not in his system and will clear by using the AVC again. He was on AVC for 1 month straight so I was also concerned about that. I will see if I can get ahold of her.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
He was on AVC for 1 month straight so I was also concerned about that. I will see if I can get ahold of her
-----------------------------------
ACV raises the PH levels in the body. it really should only be used short term.
Probiotics then must to be used to correct the PH level so that the use of ACV does not cause an imbalance of the intestinal flora.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
he was supossed to have yogurt also, but he would not in any way shape or form eat it, which I told the vet. Should I get some probiotics now?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
This is a vet saying "she is hoping?" Is there any other vet you can call besides this one? Do you need us to help find you another avian vet? Benebac powder does not have any flavor and can be sprinkled on food. You might be able to find that at Petsmart or Petco. I am really hesitant to know what to do at this point what to tell you. I would like to hear what another vet would say about this, not the one you are currently talking to. :hug8:

Last edited:

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I did speak to a well known avian vet yesterday. They got his records and actually spoke with the other vet. I am in the Seattle, Wa area. I spoke with Tracy Bennets office. She is a Certified Avian Vet

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
he was supossed to have yogurt also, but he would not in any way shape or form eat it, which I told the vet. Should I get some probiotics now?
Yes. As Pat suggested you can find BeneBac at a petshop. Or, what I use is acidolphilus capsules from the drugstore. You can poke a hole in the end of the capsule, and squeeze and it will dispence a fine powder on whatever your bird will eat.

Also...below is some said info in regards to probiotics...

I was dismayed to learn that probiotics is not a word in the dictionary, but is a term comprised of 2 words: Pro meaning 'for', and biotics meaning 'life'  If you look in avian, animal, and human drug books the 'word' probiotics is not listed.  Probiotics is a 'term' used descriptively that describes a class of non prescription oral medications/supplements (such as acidophilus, lactobacillus) which are used primarily to boost the population of live bacteria in the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.  They consist of naturally occurring organisms that aid in digestion and inhibit the production of disease producing bacteria.  Probiotics help to supplement and replace used up beneficial bacteria in the GI tract.  Thus, what is happening, especially after antibiotic treatment, is the replenishment of good bacteria which acts to lower inhibit the levels of bad bacteria from becoming pathogenic.  Probiotics such as lactobacillus also lower the pH. 

This is beneficial when dealing with slow crop, or when yeast or if bacteria is suspected.  When pH is reduced this in turn increases the effectiveness of existing good flora in the GI tract.  I'm also learning that one of the reasons why heat is so beneficial to sick birds is because it helps to decrease the time needed to kill harmful pathogens when antibiotic and antifungals are used, or a bird is compromised with an illness. 

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, if this were my bird I would want to know exactly what strain of pasteurella bacteria they are seeing! Since you paid for the vet visit ask for the full name of the bacteria your bird has and find out if it is infectious. If the bird has been scratched by a cat or other animal, it will need antibiotic, antibiotic of choice is Clavamox for pasteruella multocida.

What is the timeline on how long the bird has had the bacteria?
Was the bacteria discovered in a culture?

gary

carkam

Avenue Veteran
This was a recheck from nov. Re swab on Dec 9th. Contacted on the 15th. Did not have this bacteria first time. Those are gone and now this one! I will ask the vet which kind but I know she said it was not the multocida kind. She did tell me that if it was he would be immediately on antibiotics.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I got some probiotics, how much should he have and for how long. I will speak to the vet on Tuesday and force something to be done. While he is still acting fine, I don't want him to become really sick.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Did you buy avian probiotics or human? The benebac has instructions on the bottle, probably 1/8 teaspoon for a bird your size. You can sprinkle it on fresh foods, something you know he will eat. Yes I would contact your vet on Tuesday for sure. Does your bird use a water bottle or is he a dunker with his food in his water dish?

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I could not find the benebac, so I did get the capsules at the pharmacy as suggested.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yep, then you would just break open the capsule and sprinkle it on something you know he will eat.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I want to say thank you to everyone!! I am so glad to have this forum with such great people!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The whole capsule?
--------------------------------

Maybe a 1/4 cap on something he like to eat. You can also mix 1 capsule to a quart of water and use for the drinking water for 3-5 days. refrigerate unused mix till used up, or mix freash daily.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Thanks, that helps. I did sprinkle some on his food this morning and he ate most of it.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thats good, as long as he is getting some. You're doing great, I hope your vet has some answers for you on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.