• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should we get a cat? How do we keep the birds safe?

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I have had cats the majority of my life. They do not deter mice in any way shape or form. They may catch and kill some but it doesn’t stop them from entering your house or chase them out. They just learn how to hide from the cat. If that is the only reason you are getting a cat then set traps. You will catch more that way

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I have had cats the majority of my life. They do not deter mice in any way shape or form. They may catch and kill some but it doesn’t stop them from entering your house or chase them out. They just learn how to hide from the cat. If that is the only reason you are getting a cat then set traps. You will catch more that way
So articulately stated and probably true. Today's feline is just too spoiled to catch mice.

But a couple of things she said caught my eye.

The OP said she hadn't had a kitty in a long time, "However, it would be nice to have a kitty around. We haven't had one in ages,... "which makes one think she misses having one. She also said that she didn't like to see any little critters getting killed, so I doubt she wants any traps.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think it's the Mom cat that teaches the kittens how to catch a mouse. Usually it's an outside cat that learns these skills. So if one has a cat that was not taught mousing 101 by Mom you won't see many dead mice from a cat. The humanes society here will not adopt out a cat to someone wanting to solve a mouse problem.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I think it's the Mom cat that teaches the kittens how to catch a mouse. Usually it's an outside cat that learns these skills. So if one has a cat that was not taught mousing 101 by Mom you won't see many dead mice from a cat. The humanes society here will not adopt out a cat to someone wanting to solve a mouse problem.
You are right. It makes sense that a mother house cat would teach her young to hunt, because that is exactly what the big cats do.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Ok Sylvester, I apologized to you in private and now I'll apologize in public even though I strongly disagree with your opinion of cats and birds together. Can we end the snipes now. I'm not a cat hater. I've had cats my whole life and love them. I just don't let them in around my bird. Peace, please

Sylvester

Hit the Road
No, not in private. But thank you for apologizing publicly to me, and to anybody else out there, who has wrestle with keeping both cats and birds. Unfortunately not all of us get it right every time.

Thank you again, Donna, and have a nice day.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

This is true. Both of my cats were removed from mama too soon and neither learned to kill. They can catch a mouse all day long but they have no idea what to do with it once they get it.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
This is true. Both of my cats were removed from mama too soon and neither learned to kill. They can catch a mouse all day long but they have no idea what to do with it once they get it.
They tend to play with them and unfortunately they don't know how rough their idea of playing is.

So many animals today are removed way too early from their parents, resulting in devastating consequences.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They tend to play with them and unfortunately they don't know how rough their idea of playing is.

So many animals today are removed way too early from their parents, resulting in devastating consequences.

I do know they tend to play with them but Jasmine has caught several mice in her 17 years and has never killed one. She was estimated to be 7 weeks old when I got her from the shelter

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
So articulately stated and probably true. Today's feline is just too spoiled to catch mice.

But a couple of things she said caught my eye.

The OP said she hadn't had a kitty in a long time, "However, it would be nice to have a kitty around. We haven't had one in ages,... "which makes one think she misses having one. She also said that she didn't like to see any little critters getting killed, so I doubt she wants any traps.
Traps can be humane/catch live, too.

I know discussions about cats and birds can often be heated. I remember another thread that got out of hand and you said some blunt things that toed the line of vicious. I really hope I’m not coming off as rude but perhaps Donna and some members remember that, but irregardless I am sincerely sorry about what happened and that swipe at you was out of line. Like you said, Rosette seems very conscientious. Ultimately, it is up to her but I am sure she will be careful if she decides to welcome a cat into the family.

Sylvester

Hit the Road

I do know they tend to play with them but Jasmine has caught several mice in her 17 years and has never killed one. She was estimated to be 7 weeks old when I got her from the shelter
I have seen them leave their mother at two weeks of age. In fact, a breeder use to pull her kittens away from the mother at that age, so the mother would go into heat again. Horrible.

Seven weeks is still way too young, 12-14 weeks is idea. Jasmine sounds like a big old softie to me. :)

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Traps can be humane/catch live, too.

I know discussions about cats and birds can often be heated. I remember another thread that got out of hand and you said some blunt things that toed the line of vicious. I really hope I’m not coming off as rude but perhaps Donna and some members remember that, but irregardless I am sincerely sorry about what happened and that swipe at you was out of line. Like you said, Rosette seems very conscientious. Ultimately, it is up to her but I am sure she will be careful if she decides to welcome a cat into the family.
I was so pumped when I saw that you replied to me. I came in hoping it was going to be a cool reply. Ah well, maybe next time.

Making fun of someone losing a bird? Oy, not good.

As I was told by one mod, I wasn't the only one who out of line on that post. There is always PM's if you really want to address the behavior of a member. It's private, confidential, and totally appropriate. And it rarely turns into an ugly mob.

And you know the beauty of me? I never ever report anybody to a moderator. What goes on between us, stays between us.

I will say this for the last time, cats are not the bad guys here. There are seventy thousand cats a year who are euthanized. If somebody, like the OP, wants to save even one of those feline lives, than count on me being in the bleachers rooting her on.

If members are hung up on a post that happened several months ago then I suggest they get out more. I for one, want to move on.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Should we get a cat?

No, not as a deterrent to rodents. It doesn't work.

Plus it's cruel to the cat and wildlife.
Simple and to the point

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Should we get a cat?

True. Even in reptiles humanely killed mice are used whenever possible because it is considered inhumane to feed live mice (also because it can injure the reptile).

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Should we get a cat?

I want to ask a question about this. I understand what you are saying and some of the others have echoed your sentiments. I respect that, but I also find it a bit confusing.

You say it won't deter mice, and that's fine, others have said the same thing. But then others have also said that cats could kill her birds. You can't have it both ways. If a cat stalks and kills a bird, then it would surely stalk and kill a mouse.

My personal take? A cat will attack anything that is substantially smaller than itself, and that moves. It doesn't care if that moving object is a spider, your pet hamster, or.... a mouse.

Last edited:

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Cats also don’t have to stalk and attack a bird to kill it. Could just be a playful paw swipe with its bacteria, or a bird chewing on something that the cat recently had oral contact with.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
When a
Cats also don’t have to stalk and attack a bird to kill it. Could just be a playful paw swipe with its bacteria, or a bird chewing on something that the cat recently had oral contact with.
Quite true, soleaux, and it would do the same to a mouse. They bat everything around until it doesn't move anymore. They don't discriminate. And speaking of PM's, I just sent you one.

Last edited: