• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should older people adopt parrots in need?

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all so much. That makes me feel so much better. I am so sorry TKA. The world is such a hard place now, that I think that is why I surround myself with my animals. They bring me such joy. I have decided to take the plunge. I will be picking up Zeus tomorrow. If anyone has any advice for settling him in please feel free to share. I've never had a bird this large and I know there is much to learn. I have done much researching, but the internet can sometime leave me feeling more confused with all the conflicting info. Thank you all again. Your support helped me make my decision.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Macaws really just need time to settle without expectations. They do best when they know they have choices and are free to choose as they wish. Most, even when not ready to be social, can still be bribed with treats to come in and out of their cages. Just take it slow and let him decide.

Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have done much researching, but the internet can sometime leave me feeling more confused with all the conflicting info. Thank you all again. Your support helped me make my decision.
Don't listen to them. Listen to us. :)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so glad you decided to get him, he will be lucky to have you! Congratulations!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have decided to take the plunge. I will be picking up Zeus tomorrow.
Congrats!

We'd love to see pics of Zeus after he gets settled in with you...:)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
congratulations!!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Nothing is ever promised. As long as you can make future plans for your birds, I don't think your age should be factor. What's more important, to me, is the quality of life you can provide. I worry about my birds after I'm gone, too. I'm 48 and have a 22, a 17, a 5, a 1 1/2, and a 9 month old. I think this is one of the most bittersweet elements of having/liking large birds: few rarely have the resources to have them/care for them until established, financially and career-wise.

I say go with your gut. I don't believe in coincidences, and this bird seems to have found you. It could very well be that you need each other.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you all again for the encouragement. I brought my boy Zeus home and he's been here two days. Not one sign of aggression. He stepped right up on my arm this morning to get out of his cage. He lets me put my hands in his cage and doesn't lunge or pin his eyes at me. He seems to be just as calm as can be. I believe he may be the calmest sweetest bird I've ever seen. I found out while putting him back in last night, his cryptonite is Peanuts. LOL I feel so lucky to have the pleasure of being the one who will share in his life. I am about to start making him an outdoor enclosure out of a couple of old chain link dog kennels. It will be about 10x20. If anyone has any other suggestions please feel free to share them. Again thank you all. I know I will be seeking advice in the future and I'm glad I found a place with knowledgeable, kind people to help me.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm glad you brought Zeus into your heart and your home. IMO so many times an older adopted bird is the best. The are over the teenage foolishness and are grateful for anything that turns out well. I was 57 yo when I got my Hank (GW male) who died in 2012 - he was the light of my life. I'm now 77 yo and still have my Jasper a 24 yo girl GW.

Your enclosure. Is it zinc coated? If it is you will need to wash the entire thing with vinegar. Zinc is the number one cause of Heavy Metal Toxicity in parrots. I know someone here can jump in and tell you exactly how to do that. I don't know where you live, but if there are critters like opossums, coyotes and raccoons, to mention a few, you will need to seal the bottom so they can't dig under and get your bird. You will also need a cover of some kind to shade from the sun and protect from the hawks and eagles.

I recommend that you use another nut other than peanuts as a treat. They are not only one of the leading causes of aflatoxin poisoning And aspergillosis, but they have a lot of the bad fats. Walnuts, pistachios, almonds (especially good) and pine nuts are much better and safer. Pine nuts are great for bribing treats.

Aspergillus – Are Peanuts Safe for Parrots | Parrot Parrot
Peanuts in shells and danger of Aspergillosis to Parrots
Aspergillosis in Pet Birds: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
http://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Aspergillosis-Updated.pdf

Yes, other nuts can have Asper and Aflatoxins present, but not nearly at the rate that peanuts do. Peanuts are not even a nut - they are a legume and grown in the ground. Some people have fed peanuts for years and not have any problems - but why tug on Superman's cape?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Zeus!

I fully second what @Hankmacaw said about peanuts...Asper is extremely nasty, and there a lot of safer nut choices for Zeus.

Oh, yes, we'd love to see pics of him when you get a chance...;)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Definitely watch the peanuts. THere is a list of foods to avoid on this site. Hopefully someone will link it. I'm glad your new feather child is happy with you and you guys are getting along. I wish you great times together.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Zeus. Good advice from @Hankmacaw re: the peanuts and the metal.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Glad you got him!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will be picking up Zeus tomorrow.
:bliss: I'm glad that you made that decision. You are still young enough to have a lot of years together.
In fact I find it more alarming if you are to young. A lot of young people get a parrot and later find out how difficult it is to have a parrot. (they want to travel, are going to college, e.t.c)
And that parrot can after just some month have a new owner.

One thing you can do for your bird, and that is to write a animal will. That will tell who is gonna have him, and how to take care of him (food, bath, bedtime routines, e.t.c) and what he likes or don't like.

Don't forgot to post pics of him, please! :)

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:congrats5:

I'm glad you got Zeus too:starshower1:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations, I'm so glad you brought Zeus into your home!:dance4: He sounds so sweet and loving.:heart: I know you will make each other very happy!:)