• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Should I take in these two budgies?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I just realised the accidental irony of their names. Soleil is blind and the sun is blinding, Ciel can fly in the sky but cannot walk, and Terre can walk on the earth but cannot fly.
Maybe no 'Mer' after all, unless they just like baths. :unsure1:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well I wouldn't completely give up on her other eye never healing if it's intact after they get the seed hull out. The cornea can heal up if it isn't destroyed, so maybe there is still some hope. Did the vet say her eye is done? I saw one of those rescued kitten videos where the cats eyes were so crusted over with infections and dirt it couldn't see at all. They carefully pealed back the crust and exposed her horribly scratched corneas and kept flushing and putting medicine in and her eyes very slowly healed and they took her back to her moma cat when she was healthy and could see well enough to avoid getting hurt.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Soleil seems to be permanently blind in one eye. :( Both eyes are still crusty and red, but she can see out of one. The blind eye also had a seed hull stuck in it so the eye itself is all scratched up.

Dang. One wing, one leg, one eye...
OMG... I really think you should inform the people who had them about all the injuries and suffering they have inflicted the birds by neglecting them and submitting them to all that smoke, so they won't get another one.
Because it seems to me that even if the kids got fed up with those two, there is not reason whatsoever that they won't whine to get another one, another species maybe, as soon as they go through a pet shop.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I just realised the accidental irony of their names. Soleil is blind and the sun is blinding, Ciel can fly in the sky but cannot walk, and Terre can walk on the earth but cannot fly.
Funny you mention it, I just read your answer over and was thinking exactly the same!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
but you know, that's the whole problem!!! People want tame pets before even doing any effort for it, they want the bird to love them at first sight and do all the cool tricks they so other birds doing on youtube without having to do anything for it. So breeders at clipping wings and remove baby birds from their parents to "hand-raise" them so they'd be "better companions easy to tame". The bird isn't tame after 3 days, it doesn't like our family/is not fun so it has to go. It is too easy to get an animal and trash it nowadays.

The heart of the problem, exactly. I do not think an experienced bird person would be like this though. In todays world most things are "instant" and a tame bird is instant in non experienced minds. Even the food we eat has become instant with fancy pressure cookers and microwaves or picking up the phone to order a meal to be delivered. No trust building involved. So we continue to try and educate and pass on our knowledge.

How are the 3 musketeers this morning? I know Sunday in a vets office does not have much staff on duty.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well I wouldn't completely give up on her other eye never healing if it's intact after they get the seed hull out. The cornea can heal up if it isn't destroyed, so maybe there is still some hope. Did the vet say her eye is done? I saw one of those rescued kitten videos where the cats eyes were so crusted over with infections and dirt it couldn't see at all. They carefully pealed back the crust and exposed her horribly scratched corneas and kept flushing and putting medicine in and her eyes very slowly healed and they took her back to her moma cat when she was healthy and could see well enough to avoid getting hurt.
She said the eye itself was punctured and partially deflated. It reinflated itself, but she doesn't know if her vision will come back or not. Hopefully it will!!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How are the 3 musketeers this morning? I know Sunday in a vets office does not have much staff on duty.
They're really good this morning! Soleil is starting to respond really well to her respiratory infection treatments, and Ciel is doing so well with his that his amputation is scheduled already. Terre's wing is healing up wonderfully.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Great update. Im glad they are all healing well ❤

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe no 'Mer' after all, unless they just like baths. :unsure1:
There's a blue English budgie at the humane society who looks like a Mer. :angel2:

Don't know if the size difference would be an issue though. Especially since the three Aussie budgies are disabled.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They're really good this morning! Soleil is starting to respond really well to her respiratory infection treatments, and Ciel is doing so well with his that his amputation is scheduled already. Terre's wing is healing up wonderfully.
All good signs.

I always say that when you're slipping down a rope, grab it, tie a knot in it and start climbing from there. With the help from you and the vets, the Three Musketeers have tied a knot in their proverbial rope...and have started climbing...:heart: ;)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
All good signs.

I always say that when you're slipping down a rope, grab it, tie a knot in it and start climbing from there. With the help from you and the vets, the Three Musketeers have tied a knot in their proverbial rope...and have started climbing...:heart: ;)
I'm so desperately happy! I didn't even think Terre was going to survive after being mauled, and feared the two babies would pass from secondand smoke, but they're all getting better and doing so well. They're my little miracle birds.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
She said the eye itself was punctured and partially deflated. It reinflated itself, but she doesn't know if her vision will come back or not. Hopefully it will!!
Well she PROBABLY wont ever be able to see out of it but you never know, miracles do happen and so far no matter what one is happening for all three of them now.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does anyone know if budgies are dusty enough to pose a threat to Taco and Aurélie? If not, are they themselves susceptible to Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome? I'm wondering which bird room they should join once quarantine is over.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What grand news today. It is a miracle. I know you will do your best to spoil each one of them.

Because of the disabilities' they all may need to eat from shallow dishes on the cage floor. Possibly ending up stepping in them. Hey but who cares as long as they are eating. We could probably assume they have only eaten a Kaytee brand of seed mix. Boy are they in for a treat? :hehe: :dance4:

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Don't know if the size difference would be an issue though. Especially since the three Aussie budgies are disabled.
Maybe you'll have to call him Océan then... ;)

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What grand news today. It is a miracle. I know you will do your best to spoil each one of them.

Because of the disabilities' they all may need to eat from shallow dishes on the cage floor. Possible ending up stepping in them. Hey but who cares as long as they are eating. We could probable assume all they have ever eaten is a Kaytee brand of seed mix. Boy are they in for a treat? :hehe: :dance4:
The vet gave them each a mix of fruit and veg this morning and they all dug in! I was so surprised but so elated!

Last edited:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have been reading this thread and the updates but have not responded. Happy to hear they are doing Ok - and you are an angel. Thank you for helping them :hug8:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Love reading all the updates on your triplets! Makes my heart happy.

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Does anyone know if budgies are dusty enough to pose a threat to Taco and Aurélie? If not, are they themselves susceptible to Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrome? I'm wondering which bird room they should join once quarantine is over.
Budgies don't produce dust like cockatiels do, but they are quite messy for their size just to warn you. So they might still produce respiratory symptoms with out frequent cleaning up after or ventilation, especially in warmer conditions.

Edit: By the way, I am really glad there are people like you who are willing and able to take in unwanted birds. You have a big heart, and I wish you the best. Just remember not to bite off more than you can chew and to take care of yourself first and foremost. :)