• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Should I take in these two budgies?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OMG i hate to even think how that happened.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I hadn't been getting any alerts for your thread. Just took a look back and see that you now have a trio of budgies! Can't wait to see pics of them once they're all well.
If it hadn't been for you they all would have died. :heart:
Are these two the original budgies you hadn't heard anything back about before you'd rescued the one that had been attacked?

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Do you guys think it would be beneficial to eventually get him a buddy, or would he likely be picked on because he's disabled and injured?
Well it depends on the bird you get don't keep them together (if you are getting one) till the wound has completely healed and it may also help if you take in another disabled bird as his friend and though it is hard work. Lovey is a disabled diamond and is strongly bonded to Cartoon another diamond. Cartoon takes great care of him cooes loudly to get my attention if lovey needs help and even sits on the lower perches with him to keep him company they are 2 inseparable friends.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Walmart has fleece blankets for 2.50$ each (probably different where you are, I don't know Canadian prices lol), I cut those up into squares for little blankets or whatever. For how cheap they are they're fantastic.
Aren't you afraid your birds will nimb at them and end up with their belly full of microplast? Fleece is a big polluant of water from washing machines.

Yup; heated, humid oxygen chambers for everybody! I've got me some expensive little budgies. But I love them. :xflove:
I'd love to be able to do the same, but aside from the lack of space, I wouldn't be able to afford the vet bills, they take $90 for a simple consultation, I really don't want to know what they'd take for the care yours are getting now!! How do you manage??

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I just got caught up, @hrafn But the way these little ones were treated.... It makes my heart ache :(
yep... Gotta wonder how many others are abused in the same way and their owners think they are in a good home.. As long as the "kids aren't getting bored of them" that is :shifty:..

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
About fleece: There are two kinds of fleece, polyester and cotton usually made from a hemp fiber. The first kind, synthetic, has polyglycolic chemicals as in antifreeze. So if you are buying fleece for a bird cage please ask the sales person about what kind it is. Most likely they might not know. Then contact the manufacturer.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
About fleece: There are two kinds of fleece, polyester and cotton usually made from a hemp fiber. The first kind, synthetic, has polyglycolic chemicals as in antifreeze.
I did not know this. I only knew to look for the no-pill kind

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hadn't been getting any alerts for your thread. Just took a look back and see that you now have a trio of budgies! Can't wait to see pics of them once they're all well.
If it hadn't been for you they all would have died. :heart:
Are these two the original budgies you hadn't heard anything back about before you'd rescued the one that had been attacked?
No, those two poor babies are still waiting for someone to help them. The ad is up but he hasn't answered a single message I sent. My friend even sent him a message to see if it was just me he was ignoring, but no dice. I'm wondering if he broke his phone or something.

I'd love to be able to do the same, but aside from the lack of space, I wouldn't be able to afford the vet bills, they take $90 for a simple consultation, I really don't want to know what they'd take for the care yours are getting now!! How do you manage??
I have a $6000 emergency vet fund. :faint:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet just called to tell me that Ciel was chewing on his leg and got it all bloody. It must be bothering him more than anticipated, and we're considering amputating the rest of the leg because it's such a mangled mess, and is probably going to cause him chronic pain unless it's removed. He's on some good pain meds now. I feel so bad for all these little birds.

On a positive note, the swelling has gone down on Terre's foot and he's using it again.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The vet just called to tell me that Ciel was chewing on his leg and got it all bloody. It must be bothering him more than anticipated, and we're considering amputating the rest of the leg because it's such a mangled mess, and is probably going to cause him chronic pain unless it's removed. He's on some good pain meds now.
...amputation is probably the way to go with Ciel...sending good thoughts out.
On a positive note, the swelling has gone down on Terre's foot and he's using it again.
:thumbsup:...Way to go, Terre!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just been catching up on this thread. Those poor little guys - I'm so glad you have them now.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my. Those poor birds. Thanks for helping them.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet said that Ciel and Soleil reek of cigarette smoke. The techs washed them off to try to get the nasty smoke grease of their feathers so they wouldn't ingest it while preening, and the water was filthy. Honestly that house was so gross that I had to wash my clothes twice to get the smell out, and I was in there for all of five minutes. I'm so disgusted.

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
The vet said that Ciel and Soleil reek of cigarette smoke. The techs washed them off to try to get the nasty smoke grease of their feathers so they wouldn't ingest it while preening, and the water was filthy. Honestly that house was so gross that I had to wash my clothes twice to get the smell out, and I was in there for all of five minutes. I'm so disgusted.
Yuck!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sad to hear Ciel may lose the rest of the leg.. but if it is for the best...

I just can´t wait ´til they are all better and home with you, respected and feeling loved - as all birds deserve.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ciel is doing amazingly on oxygen and his respiratory infection is already responding to bronchodilators and saline flushes, and the vet is pretty confident that it's from smoke inhalation rather than asper or bacteria. Soleil is in much worse of a state, and she'll be on a treatment plan for her conjunctivitis for at least two weeks, but her dyspnea is improving. Hopefully her eyesight isn't permanently damaged.