• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I Separate Them?

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Over a week ago, I found Pressie with a hurt toe. Although I didn't see it happen, I am almost positive that Honey bit her. It looked like it was bitten, and I checked the whole cage and couldn't find anything that she could have hurt herself on.

Pressie has been in a smaller cage by herself since it happened, so that her toe could heal. Now I am worried to put them back together.... I don't know if I should. I don't know why Honey would bite her.... maybe it is because she is hormonal? Maybe it was an accident? I just don't know.

Some background: Honey and Pressie are around 6 / 7 years old (I'll celebrate their 7th hatchdays on their gotcha day in September). I adopted them as a bonded pair in 2014, and they have been caged together since I got them. And I know they were caged together in their previous home. Honey has always had the bolder personality. She can be bully-ish, as far as pushing Pressie out of the way to get a treat, or to make her get out of her spot. But I've never seen her do it aggressively. Pressie has a much shyer personality, and does what ever Honey says. They are best friends, and preen each other and snuggle with each other every day. They usually step up for me together.They have a big cage, with plenty of room and perches and toys for both of them to hang out separately and do their own thing, but they are always in the same spot.

I want to put them back together, they have always been best friends. I just don't want Honey to hurt her again, and I don't know if she will.......even though she never has before.

Advice?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could put them together, observe and see how they do. Try that on a play stand and then in the cage. They may be fine while you are monitoring and then when you leave they may have issues with one another. It's so very hard to predict. I wound up separating all of my red-bellies that I had grouped together due to fighting. Cage mates were together for many years. Started out with some minor injury which I thought was just a fluke and then got worse. Luckily I was home when major incidents occurred and was able to intervene and get injured birds to the vet as needed. Wish I could give you some better advice.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
You could put them together, observe and see how they do. Try that on a play stand and then in the cage. They may be fine while you are monitoring and then when you leave they may have issues with one another. It's so very hard to predict. I wound up separating all of my red-bellies that I had grouped together due to fighting. Cage mates were together for many years. Started out with some minor injury which I thought was just a fluke and then got worse. Luckily I was home when major incidents occurred and was able to intervene and get injured birds to the vet as needed. Wish I could give you some better advice.
Only thing I could add to this is a "BABY CAM" MONITER DEVICE,. accidents and squabbles happen.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is it possible the toe was injured other than a bite? What did the vet think?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If it were my guys, I would keep them together but monitor. A baby cam is a great idea. What size is their shared cage?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Both hens? It may be that they are best friends only when they are not hormonal. Do you have at least two sources of food and water in the cage, one for each bird? This makes it impossible for the dominant bird to keep the other bird away from the food and water; can't guard two food sources at the same time. How big is the cage? Can the non-dominant bird get far enough away from the other dominant one to be safe? As I said, it could be a problem with hormonal behavior. The dominant hen wants to chase the non-dominant one out of the cage to claim all the goodies in the cage so when she lays eggs and hatches babies, she has good food for her babies.

Remember our parrots are not domesticated animals, they are still ruled by their instincts and their hormones, not by wanting to please humans and looking for a human partner. Always remember they are also prey animals, not predators, and they see the world very differently than we do.

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Sorry!

To answer the questions, yes, they are both females. Their cage is 32" x 23". This is the one they have: Play Top Bird Cage 32" x 23" - Rena's PETSupplies At the time, they only had 1 food bowl and 1 water bowl. They are both on the one side of the cage. There is a third bowl on the other side that is usually empty, or once in a while I put foot toys in it. I can use that one for water, and add another one on that side for another food dish. Yes, there is enough room for Presley to get away from Honey is she needed to. There are enough toys and perches for them to each do their own thing if they wanted.

As for hormonal behavior, I haven't seen Honey act nesty in the cage. She has never laid eggs, as far as I know. During her hormonal season, the only behavior change I have seen in the past is that she usually acts more aggressive towards me. This year, she is going back and forth between being aggressive towards me, and wanting extra attention from me.

Today, I let them out their cage top area together. They seemed happy. Then poor Presley really wanted to go in the cage, because she has been in a small one the past two weeks. Honey followed her in, and they were fine. They sat by each other for awhile, and now they are doing their own thing.

I may or may not take Presley out at bedtime and when I go out for the next couple days. I want to be able to monitor them very closely.

Last edited: